August 2017 Moms

Mother in law

2»

Re: Mother in law

• @andressab, gotcha, best to nip it in the bud right away 
  • My MIL has made comments about how minimal stuff they had when DH was born, saying we didn't need a changing table, rocking chair, bouncer for baby, etc.  Just a crib and closet space.  Umm... not you baby, not your money! If I want to buy my baby a changing table,then it is going to have a changing table.  We don't have a close relationship, I am nothing like her and she tells everyone how crazy my family is.  We generally don't see eye to eye on anything and she is always commenting on what we spend our money on, even though we pay our bills and don't financially need their help.  When my MIL found out we were pregnant, her first comment was don't get your hopes up, so I still feel scorned by it and she won't talk pregnancy with me and never asks how I am doing, will only ask my DH.  My BIL recently got engaged, and I feel like it makes the whole situation worse, because she just dotes all over my soon to be SIL.  I have tried to connect with her, and honestly I thought with us finally getting pregnant, and this being her first grandbaby, things would of gotten better, but I feel as if they have gotten worse.  I told DH the other day, at this point I think my MIL wishes it was BIL and his fiancee that were pregnant.  I really don't want her around that much, if she can't respect me, than why should she get to have anytime access to my child?! My DH says I can't do that or be like that and that I am blowing things out of proportion.  Any advice
    Me: 27 DH: 29

Diagnosed with PCOS: January 2009

1st D&C: Janaury 2009
    Dating: March 18, 2009
    Married: June 12, 2010
    TTC: January 1, 2011
    2nd D&C: June 5, 2011
    3rd D&C: August 3, 2011
    Dec 2016: BFP (due 8/5/2017)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • bwing10 said:
    I really don't want her around that much, if she can't respect me, than why should she get to have anytime access to my child?! My DH says I can't do that or be like that and that I am blowing things out of proportion.  Any advice
    I'm in the same boat. DH's family has never really liked me no matter what I tried and for a while he dismissed how I felt. Put your foot down and tell him that your feelings matter and he needs to support you because that's what being married is about. My husband has had to talk to his mom about her and his sisters' behavior towards me more than once. He has problems with my family too but I make sure to address them and told him if he didn't start addressing issues I had, I would stop addressing issues he has. Also, we don't see my dad much because of his lack of respect for DH and my refusal to go to DHs family's house except for Christmas and his birthday has made it pretty clear that he needs to stick up for me. 

Really, put your foot down and if you don't want to go, don't go all the time just try to go once every 3-4 times depending on how often you see DHs family