September 2017 Moms

Sneak Peak Gender Blood Test at 9 weeks! It's a BOY! UPDATE

maryleffuemaryleffue member
edited February 2017 in September 2017 Moms
Has anyone tried this test?  You buy the kit for approximately $80 and then send a blood sample at 9 weeks (or later). They email you the gender within 24 hours of receiving your sample.  I'm thinking about doing it. I'm dying to know!  Anyone else???  The website says it is 99% accurate. 

Re: Sneak Peak Gender Blood Test at 9 weeks! It's a BOY! UPDATE

• If this requires me taking my own blood sample, I'm out. But I'd love know if it's really as accurate as they claim.

• I won't be doing this one but I will be requesting the panorama genetic blood testing because our insurance covers it, it's for genetic testing but also tells the sex as a sort of incidental finding 
  • Loading the player...
  • @maryleffue What's the test kit called? 
  • I haven't heard of this kit, but my doctor mentioned that at around 10 weeks we will do some lab work and they should be able to determine the gender of the baby then. I had no idea that was even physically possible before! I am definitely going to do it, unless the cost prohibits it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 34 | DH: 31
    Married: Nov. 7, 2015
    TTC Since: February, 2016
    BFP: December 20, 2016

• I had to wait until 20 weeks to find out last time. I didn't qualify for the 10 week blood work even though it comes when they are doing other testing. I didn't qualify because I wasn't considered high risk or 35 +. They call the blood test harmony and not a lot of insurances cover it. I would love to find out early to know. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The blood test you can buy is at walgreens and cvs in the same section you buy pregnancy and ovulation tests.

Me: 31    DH: 36

Married since 11/25/2013

#1 (bio)  born 01/18/2006

#2 (bio)   born 09/08/2008

#3 (step) born 02/17/2009

#4 (our 1st together)  EDD 09/09/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• For only $80, you can find out way sooner.  If you are 35+, your insurance will cover testing for you at 10 weeks, but for everyone else this is super cheap and easy.  I'll post my results in a few weeks. :)
  • The blood test at 10 weeks that tests the sex as well as other chromosomes is called the cell free DNA test. I'll be getting it done at MFM
  • edited January 2017
    Thanks for posting about this! It looks very cool. My insurance doesn't cover testing since I'm not quite 35 yet. Update us when you do this! I'm ordering it and doing it but im not due until the end of the month so I have awhile to wait.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I plan to have this test done also. Even if it costs a bit more, it is totally worth it.
  • How do you get your own blood sample?? Do you have to go to a lab for a blood draw?
    Sable
    Married to David 3/22/14
    <3o:) Mommy to my angel Ella Lynne born into heaven 8/24/15 o:)<3
    Started TTC again October 2016
    BFP on 1/6/17!
  • sableeg said:
    How do you get your own blood sample?? Do you have to go to a lab for a blood draw?
    I was super skeptical of a test you can buy at walgreens, but apparently it includes a lancet to poke your finger (like testing your blood sugar) and that's how you supply a drop of blood. 

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Huh.  Interesting!  Thanks!  @Sugargirl1019
    Sable
    Married to David 3/22/14
    BFP on 1/6/17!
  • I did one called Boy or Girl at 11 weeks back in 2009. It was pricier then, but correct. Agreed with ultrasound and sex at birth. I'll be AMA this time, but Team green.
  • I'll be getting the Harmony test at my MFM's office. Big bonus that it tells gender too! Can't wait to know!
  • My husband is ordering the sneak peek kit as an early valentine's day gift. 

If it comes back girl, we will totally trust it.  Of it comes back boy, I will have a little trouble putting a ton of faith into it, due to potential contamination. I'm pretty excited. :) 

• OMG! :lol: I would have a hard time finding a surface that's not contaminated by stinky boy!
    Sable
    Married to David 3/22/14
    BFP on 1/6/17!
  • I was reading the FAQs! I'm cracking up about this!

"How do I prevent contamination?

In order to prevent contamination of your sample by male DNA you should carefully follow all instructions and take the test in a male free environment. Sanitize the surface you are collecting your sample on. Make sure to thoroughly sterilize your hands and focus on scrubbing your fingertips and under your nails. Rinse hands thoroughly and allow them to air dry. Do not use a towel or touch anything. Do not allow any male to open your test box or touch any of the contents inside before, during, or after sample collection. Do not allow a male to help you in any way to collect your sample."

I was reading the FAQs! I'm cracking up about this!

"How do I prevent contamination?

In order to prevent contamination of your sample by male DNA you should carefully follow all instructions and take the test in a male free environment. Sanitize the surface you are collecting your sample on. Make sure to thoroughly sterilize your hands and focus on scrubbing your fingertips and under your nails. Rinse hands thoroughly and allow them to air dry. Do not use a towel or touch anything. Do not allow any male to open your test box or touch any of the contents inside before, during, or after sample collection. Do not allow a male to help you in any way to collect your sample."

OMG!!! This has me cracking up as well!  Is there a location on earth safe enough to take this in without possible contamination?  Seriously! 
  • Hahaha... don't let boy cooties get on you before testing!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ewwwww Boy Cooties!!!! :naughty:
    Sable
    Married to David 3/22/14
    BFP on 1/6/17!
  • FFFC: I was considering this until I realized how hard it would be to not have contamination.. I would swear any Boy result was contaminated and wouldn't trust it. Idk if I will now.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • @Sugargirl1019  right there with you... I wouldn't be able to trust a boy result at all.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got a girl result with 3 boys living with me. I think I just waited until they were all at work/school, clorox wiped the kitchen counter a few times, washed my hands with hot water & dish soap and pricked my finger. nbd.
  • I had the cell free DNA last time due to being high risk, but our OB on base doesn't offer it here overseas (our lab can't do any of the processing). So we ordered this so we can know before the hubby deploys! Can't wait to hear how yours turns out @maryleffue
  • I feel like it's officially time for a share the sex of your baby(ies) thread!

Congratulations on your boy!! 
  • $14 off Valentines Day coupon code: LUVSP14 
    im still debating because I get the blood testing in a few weeks...just so impatient lol

**TW**
    Losses:
     #1: 8wks MMC 4/16
    #2: 13+4 T21 + Hydrops 3/17
  • I'm going to talk to DH tonight and see if he's cool with it, because I don't think we'll do any of the early testing and I already want to know what we're having... actually I might just order it right now without asking him... is that bad? Should I not do that? 
    The FAQ says that a previous pregnancy carrying a male won't contaminate the results so that makes me feel better... I kind of really want to do it lol I kind of really want to surprise DH too. Oh hell, I'm gonna do it!!!
  • Update: I read some mixed reviews on amazon and it seems that there are some incorrect results.... I don't think I would be able to trust it... I think I'll save the cash and go to an early ultrasound place in Colorado. 

Damn.
  • @daniellelynette I think the mixed reviews came from the previous test version fyi...

**TW**
    Losses:
  • @Texafornian I was thinking that but I can't find anything about previous or current versions anywhere! How can you tell that? I can't find any version numbers or anything, and the latest incorrect review was from January 31st 2017.. I'm sure it's pretty accurate but I would probably still be somewhat skeptical and think I was one of the few inaccurate results lol
    Ive looked over their website too, I'm just not sure I could trust it :(
  • @daniellelynette I read a review where someone had seen a bunch of negative reviews but she noticed they were more from a previous version.

**TW**
    Losses:
  • @daniellelynette at least they give you your money back if it's incorrect!
  • I have it sitting under my bathroom sink (unopened) I'm only 8w3d today so I'll take it next week. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker