December 2016 Moms

Med-Free Check-In 1/12 - Final one! (all are welcome to post)

Well that's it. We're all not pregnant anymore.
I'm thinking of you all - the amazing strength you've shown! I'm thinking of all the little babes too. I know I drew strength from all of you and the sharing we did in this thread.

1 - How are you feeling about the birth experience you had?

2 - How do you foresee the skills and things you learned in preparing for and during birth being useful in other places in life?

3 - I think we all wrote birth stories - which I feel are so important because it is a monumental experience but one that immediately gets drowned out by the monumental reality that is the beginning of a new life. Do you plan on sharing yours outside of D16? If so, how?
Pregnancy Ticker
Mother of an April '15 baby
Due December 16
yellingbanana

Re: Med-Free Check-In 1/12 - Final one! (all are welcome to post)

• 1 - How are you feeling about the birth experience you had? Good. It wasn't quite what I expected (had hoped to labor at home longer), but I feel very blessed to have had a healthy delivery and baby girl.

2 - How do you foresee the skills and things you learned in preparing for and during birth being useful in other places in life? Patience, serenity, that I possess more strength than I ever imagined. I think all of which are pretty profound and can be used in multiple areas of my life.

3 - I think we all wrote birth stories - which I feel are so important because it is a monumental experience but one that immediately gets drowned out by the monumental reality that is the beginning of a new life. Do you plan on sharing yours outside of D16? If so, how? I am going to make a birth story/photo album for Tess to have when she's older.

Pregnancy Ticker 

kattyc-2slartybartfastSaraRose83
  • My plan was med free but that's not how it went down....

1 - How are you feeling about the birth experience you had? I'm feeling good, it wasn't what I had envisioned but DS was healthy and the recovery process from the CS was a lot easier than I had thought it would be.

2 - How do you foresee the skills and things you learned in preparing for and during birth being useful in other places in life? It was a good reminder that flexibility is really important.  I'm glad I went in with the "birth wish" mentality rather than a "birth plan".  I try to be a gonwith the flow type person in general and having things go not as planned emphasized the need for that approach.

3 - I think we all wrote birth stories - which I feel are so important because it is a monumental experience but one that immediately gets drowned out by the monumental reality that is the beginning of a new life. Do you plan on sharing yours outside of D16? If so, how? I don't really have plans to share beyond friends and family.  Meaning I don't plan on posting all of it on Facebook.  At some point I need to write it in DS's baby book.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

slartybartfastSaraRose83
  • Loading the player...
  • 1 - How are you feeling about the birth experience you had?
    i feel great about it. laboring at home as long as I did and being able to avoid all the hospital policies until LO was out was so great. If we were ever to consider a fourth (which we won't) I think I could talk DH into a home birth.

2 - How do you foresee the skills and things you learned in preparing for and during birth being useful in other places in life?
    I've learned so much through all my labors. My first taught me that life is unpredictable and that preparation is key, my second taught me to be flexible and adapt to change, and my third gave me confidence to push through the pain, that I can do anything really I just have to have the right support in place.

3 - I think we all wrote birth stories - which I feel are so important because it is a monumental experience but one that immediately gets drowned out by the monumental reality that is the beginning of a new life. Do you plan on sharing yours outside of D16? If so, how?
    I've shared bits and pieces to family, friends and neighbors, but I haven't posted it anywhere. I wrote out a brief version for LO's baby book but I need to write it all out for myself, I have all of them saved on my computer just for reflection.
    ajstevensonslartybartfastSaraRose83
  • 1- I'm glad I had it but am reminded of how a small piece of the motherhood puzzle it is. I am grateful it all went well and that I got to order all that food postpartum. No really, the food was so good. Why is it that I always remember the food? I'm glad I wrote it down because for such a huge event, my memory of it is so fleeting.

2- Trust my body. Listen to my body. LISTEN TO MY BODY. My body is amazing. And it knows what it's talking about. Also - how important surrounding myself with the right people and the right vibes can be to my physical well being. That made all the difference between this labor and last one. I feel like that connection carries out day to day in less obvious ways. Also, be aware of the vibe I'm bringing to others. 

3- I've shared with a few friends and my doula. I may post it on one of those birth story sites. And I'll have it handy to share with anyone interested.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
    SaraRose83
  • 1 - How are you feeling about the birth experience you had?
    Great. Everythinf went smoothly. I never had to "fight" for anything I wanted. And the most important part, everyone came through healthy and happy. 

Pain management techniques are never a bad thing to have on hand. Just in the immediate postpartum I used them during the pesky uterine massages and during the early days of extreme nipple pain.
    But more in general I became much more comfortable with advocating for myself/my child's medical care. I was never one to question any recommended care or even to ask for explainations. I always felt like I was being a bother. Now I know it's their job to explain everything until I'm satisfied I understand and agree with what's going on.

I shared mine with the FB group for our childbirth class group. FI and I are still talking about it a lot. But I don't think anyone else in my real life would be all that interested in it. 
    slartybartfastSaraRose83
  • 1. My plan was med free. I ended up with a pretty traumatizing emergency csection. I'm still pretty bitter about the csection, but I have great memories of laboring at home with my doula and DH. 

2. I am proud of myself for the med free labor. But I still feel like I failed with the csection, even though intellectually I know it wasn't my fault. Still processing. It will really give me strength for a vbac though. I learned a labor really has to do with the hospital staff, which in my case was understaffed, unsupportive, and all the regular docs were on vacation. So, perfect storm. 

3. I still need to share mine. I waited for a bit because I was so upset about it, and now it has to do more with time to post. I've shared with friends and family and got a lot of , "at least you and baby came out healthy" responses, which is true, but feels crappy and dismissive. I'll probably blog about it and honestly might write a letter to the OB who did my section. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    PensiveCrayonslartybartfast