December 2016 Moms

PP Healing & Wellness 1/10

1- How old is your baby? 

2- We often underemphasize the healing and adjustments our little ones have after birth and postpartum... has your little one gone through any healing, big adjustments or struggles?

3- What is your baby's personality or temperament like? 

4- What have you learned about mothering your specific baby? 

Reading... (One of my favorite sleep tricks, I call it the 11 o'clock switcheroo ;) ).
https://blogs.babycenter.com/mom_stories/the-secret-trick-that-could-help-your-baby-sleep-longer/?scid=fb_uvpb

Due December 27th with baby #7

Re: PP Healing & Wellness 1/10

• edited January 2017
    1- How old is your baby? 
    3 weeks

2- We often underemphasize the healing and adjustments our little ones have after birth and postpartum... has your little one gone through any healing, big adjustments or struggles?
    I recall this with DS too - developing a digestive system is hard work for babies. I think often people are too quick to jump to conclusion that there's something wrong with their baby because eating isn't a clean process. These little humans go from never having eaten to having to digest for the first time... there's bound to be discomfort, gas, reflux, misery for some weeks during the transition.

DH and I keep trying to inform her that it's possible to be awake and not be fussy. But in reality, she's too new for me to attribute anything to her sense of self yet... she's very cuddle though. She likes to be squeezed up in my arms.

She's different than DS. That's for sure. She takes a pacifier... sometimes she DEMANDS a pacifer (DS never took one). She wants to be held always (DS was fine laying whereever). She does the whole witching hour thing (DS never did... I wasn't even sure it was a real thing... let's just say now I am). She's a co-sleeper and would rather not be swaddled! (Both opposite of DS).
    I feel a little more fumbly in figuring her out. I guess because DS had my undivided attention. I feel like I'm scrambling a bit with her.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
    maamawaabangiyellingbananadmontgosmak10
  • 1- How old is your baby?  
    12 days

He had to learn how to latch deeper. He's recovering from his circimsision very well. I think overall he's doing well. 

He's super mellow and easy going. He gets fussy when he's hungry or dirty.

He doesn't mind being swaddled but he must have access to his hands. He doesn't like diaper changes if his belly is uncovered. He'll take a pacifier if he's in the carseat or the swing but otherwise doesn't typically take one. He likes to be held but is okay in his swing. I can't put him down because I just feel like he needs me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    maamawaabangiyellingbananadmontgo
  • Loading the player...
    7 weeks 3 days

i haven't really thought of this - but it's something I'll watch for in the future.

Right now he's pretty laid back and social.  He has fussy periods but it's always easy to solve them and he really only cries when he's hungry and DH doesn't have the goods to feed him haha.  I really hope this will bode well for the future haha.

It comes more naturally to me than I had thought it would.  I was really worried that I'd be constantly overwhelmed and while those moments happen, they are a lot less frequent than I'd thought.  I'm sure the next baby I have will be a demon child I can't calm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

yellingbananadmontgo
    16 days

We were just talking about this. I wonder if newborns have pain after birth. I mean, I'd have a pretty nasty headache if my skull molded and squeezed through something that small. 
    On a more practical level, LO still isn't a fan of bright lights. Night time diaper changes make him pretty mad when that light clicks on. 

Baby-like? I'm waiting for happy awake time. Right now he's sleeping, eating, or wailing.

He'll sleep forever. I really wonder how long he'd go if we didn't have to wake him for feeds. 
    yellingbananamaamawaabangidmontgo
  • 1. Baby Lucas will be 5 weeks tomorrow 

2. My little guy started out as the easiest child ever, went to sleep easy, smiled easy, ate easily, burped and pooped easily. He has started getting fussy though and has symptoms of reflux, he still sleeps well and is overall happy, but has become a bit more needy during the day. He also really prefers one boob over the other. I've been using @DiFazette's recommendations for reflux and it has been helping. He really appreciates sleeping at an incline instead of flat of his back.

3. Lucas is freakishly alert and wants people to talk to him. He has been steadily holding his head up since day one, and will only rest it when laying down. Otherwise he is eyes open and watching everything around him.

4. He smiles a lot when he gets attention, and if upset he will calm immediately with my snuggles. He will also sleep a really long time (up to 6 hrs) if I'm snuggling him. But I do want him to be able to sleep in the bassinet still, so we vary where he naps. He's pretty awesome, we are thinking about keeping him....  ;)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

dmontgoSaraRose83
  • 1- How old is your baby

6 weeks

Hmm...he's had a harder time than I recall my others having remembering to do some bodily functions at the same time if that makes sense.  For example, if he needs to poo or gets really angry, he "forgets" to breathe for a few seconds and starts turning a nasty shade of red.  It's unnerving, and I hate it.  

He sometimes seems hyper aware of his surroundings, but for the most part he's really laid back.  He does have a bit of a temper though (if a baby can be said to have a temper).  So far, I'd say that he's a pretty decent mix of DS1 (laid back) and DS2 (more temperamental).

He likes car rides but only if we're going "fast" (i.e. not stopping).  He enjoys being part of things - whether it's lounging on the couch with me and his big brothers or just being held (in a carrier or otherwise), he prefers to be in the action rather than chilling a swing or rock n play.  He's most awake between 10:00 and 2:00 and 5:00 - 7:00.  

DH: 36⎹ Me: 36
    Married: Aug. 2005
    DS1: Born Oct. 2012
    DS2: Born Jun. 2014
    dmontgoyellingbananaSaraRose83
  • @slartybartfast it's funny, before I had DD2, I thought I had the whole baby thing down. I knew exactly how DD1 liked everything and thought the 2nd one would be similar. I was SO wrong. They were like polar opposites. This time, the only thing I knew was that DS would be different, and he is. They all have their quirks and are born with their little personality, I love it. 

@tinattt23  my DS is also not a fan of bright lights. So I have 2 nights lights in his room and just change him with dim lights, all NASCAR style. It's worked really well, except for this morning when he pooped all over me mid-change. Lesson learned. Maybe I'll just add a 3rd nightlight.... lol 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyRobbinsAdventuretinattt23slartybartfastdmontgo
  • 1- How old is your baby

2 weeks and 3 days

She struggled with feeding a lot in the beginning, we are doing much better now but it was rough to start with. She has also had a lot of indigestion, which made her super fussy/gassy after eating. Turns out I have too much acid in my diet! Per pedi's recommendation, cutting out red sauces and orange juice to try to help that.

She seems very social, which sounds crazy at 2 weeks old. She holds eye contact and is starting to follow your face. She always wants to be held and close to your body heat. She likes to curl up in a ball and sleep on your belly haha

She is a fan of sleeping at night. She fights it during the day. She still wakes up to eat at night, but then goes right back to sleep. During the day I think she wants to be with us while we are active and moving around since she will want to eat every two-three hours and then fight going to sleep and cry to be near you/held.
  • 1- How old is your baby? 9 days

2- We often underemphasize the healing and adjustments our little ones have after birth and postpartum... has your little one gone through any healing, big adjustments or struggles? She is a little champ and has been adjusting very well to the outside world. I left her with dad today for not quite 2 hours to take the dog to the vet. She definitely was a little fussy and calmed down as soon as SO handed her back to me. LO loves her momma snuggles.

3- What is your baby's personality or temperament like?  Tess is generally very calm and very alert. She has 3 windows per day where she's up for nearly 2 hours and just wants to look around, talk with us and hang out.

4- What have you learned about mothering your specific baby? We're very much still learning. She likes to be upright so she can look around and appears to be very aware of different noises around her. This girl is strong too. Head up and turning and she has some strong little legs!

Pregnancy Ticker 

dmontgoyellingbanana
  • @tinattt23, like @yellingbanana we use night nights at night for feeding and changing. We have a regular wall night light, and the humidifier has a nice blue night light. When we need more light we turn on a small table lamp on a night stand in the corner of the room (not in baby's line of sight). 
    tinattt23yellingbanana
  • 1. 2 and 1/2 weeks
    2. LO is still learning how to handle my milk. She seems to have caught up with my crazy aggressive let down but is still gassy, in pain and spitting up a lot. I went out and bought another 12 burp clothes. Gas drops help but she is still swallowing too much air when she feeds.
    3. Fussy for the most part. She has had some calm awake moments, just staring and learning to move her face muscles. But most of the time she's trying to fart. She grunts a lot.
    4. She can't self soothe even though she tries by sucking on her hands and thumb. When she wants to sleep she is out like a light but this is usually during the daytime. She isn't a fan of tummy time yet. And so far, she seems more like my first born and not my middle child. Her tone is good so far so I'm hopeful we aren't going to be dealing with development delays like my second.
  • @tinattt23 and @yellingbanana Dh bought me these small touch lights. They give just enough light I can see but aren't so bright that they wake L up. They came in a two pack from Target and were with the night lights.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
    tinattt23yellingbanana
    1 week 

During pushing I had a very massive contraction and basically pushed the baby out from above my pelvis to head fully out in a very quick and highly intense manner... it caused bruising on her brow and she acted like her head was sensitive to touch for a few days  :/  I do think birth can be painful for them in addition to all the new things their body is doing for the first time! Della has also been my gassiest baby ... burping, tooting and pooping seem traumatic for her. But slowly she's adjusting. I am reminded her separation from me is a slow gradual thing, so for now I'm her extended outside womb. 

She has a loud cry but is easy to pacify. That's all I can tell at this time.

She really loves being snuggled and kept close. Like all my babies she won't take a paci, but loves beening swaddled. She's also a voracious sucker and my nipples prove it! So ouch! 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• edited January 2017
    @zubenescamali - we have the same boobs. And our LOs are struggling similarly! I just keep reminding myself that each week is a huge portion of LO's life and she's growing so much in that time that she'll catch up soon.
    At this point she ponies up for maybe 2 good feedings a day. The rest are milky, gasping struggles that last 5 minutes, burp, rest, 5 more... for like an hour. I gave her 2 oz pumped milk in a bottle this morning just to see how she'd do and she was so peaceful... SO not doing that again for a while because I don't want to trap myself into pumping. She'll catch up! (I HOOOOOPE)
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
    yellingbananazubenescamali
    7 weeks, 2 days

We started bringing him to a chiropractor last week to get his system and alignment checked out. He'd only sleep maybe 40 minutes at a time, and seem to have lost of gas pain - even with using drops, constant burping while feeding, etc. They found that he was very stiff in his neck to turn his head one way, his spine had a slight twist in one spot, and had some hip adjustment around the butt. Did you know that if you pinch your LOs butt cheeks together, the crack should be straight? If not, then there us alignment issues which can cause gas pains since it doesn't go straight out. This was his problem. He went again on Monday and goes again tomorrow, but she said she saw improvement in the 4 days in between the first appointment... so that is good. However, last night he screamed (I feel in pain) for 45 minutes before I finally used a Wiindi and heard the air come out, and he instantly stopped screaming... so some gas pain was still there. He continued to be fussy most of the evening, so it was a rough night. After that first adjustment, he actually slept at night and was a very content baby - awake time was fun since he wasn't screaming and I could actually interact with him on the floor, with toys, etc.

Not sure yet. He loves to be held and does like to be swaddled (but NEEDS his arms out), so we do that a lot still. He's been fussy, as mentioned above, but in his content times... he's actually fun to interact with. He also likes being on his tummy, so tummy time is actually good time. After his adjustment, he was good on his back and seemed like stretching his legs out. I hope to be able to get more of his personality in the next 3 weeks before I go back to work. He has been strong since day 1, which is great since he was 3 weeks early. He does a good job lifting his head up already and kicks when he's on tummy time. We think he'll crawl early and get good muscles in his neck to keep his head up sooner than later.

He'd rather sleep on me than in anything, although have been putting him down more to get him more used to that. Otherwise, daycare is going to rough for him. We call him "needy baby, greedy baby", like from Big Bang Theory. Most days, he fights sleep so I try what I can to feed, keep awake for awhile and then get him to sleep some before he is hungry again. He goes from zonked out to hungry screaming baby in a millisecond... so you have to have food ready so that freak out time isn't long.

Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

yellingbananadmontgokattyc-2SaraRose83
     8 weeks and 5 days

Ashton has made a lot of strides since leaving the NICU. He has doubled his birth weight and is starting to fit his clothes! His reflux has gotten a lot better since he got onto Zantac, and so far he hasn't been sick at all due to vigorous hand washing and disinfectant wipes.

He is serious baby, but laid back and not very fussy...although I can tell he is going to be strongwilled. He does smile, but isn't constantly smiling or giggly. He doesn't talk a lot yet, but lets me know when he wants to be held. He is very cuddly. Very bright-eyed and curious. I think he is going to be a thinker and independent but sweet child.

Ive learned a lot, but the most interesting to me is:
    He wants to be included in what DH and I are doing, which surprised me because he is, well, a baby. But if we are laughing about something or watching a movie and he's chilling in his bouncer, he wants to be held so he can be near us to observe. He loves being in our arms and looking around at everything and listening to us talk. But he also will let us know when he wants some alone time. Didn't know babies could want to be included or want to be left alone (as in, not held) to chill. Very cool.
    yellingbananaSaraRose83
  • @slartybartfast I keep asking myself if I'm overfeeding her. But that's silly right? She does pull off when she's done. But then sometimes she starts rooting only an hour later and I can't tell if it's gas or if she's really hungry. She seems satisfied after only 6-10 min on one side and still spits up, sometimes long after a feed, despite burping. I feel blessed and cursed at the same time. On one hand I have plenty of milk, but i'm so sad to see her in so much pain
    slartybartfastyellingbanana
    6 weeks!
    I think DD is still figuring out the whole doing poop thing. She still grunts and strains a lot when trying to go. We are also still figuring out if she is really sensitive to dairy proteins or not- her poop has gotten better since I cut it out of my diet, but it hasn't completely cleared up. That may be contributing to the straining to go. We see the pedi on Friday.
    She is pretty easy going and only cries when she is wet or hungry. She likes to be held but is also ok to sit in the swing or in the pack n play by herself for a while. I feel like we've been pretty lucky and I hope she continues to be an easy baby. 
    I think I'm finally understanding her signs before she has to cry. We've learned to give her a while to finish pooping before we rush to change her and end up having to change her twice. We're still figuring out how to tell when she's extra gassy and needs to burp more versus when she's still hungry. She does not like her arms in the swaddle. I'm trying my best to really enjoy this time (even at 3 am) because it's already going by so fast!
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
    yellingbanana
  • @slartybartfast I keep asking myself if I'm overfeeding her. But that's silly right? She does pull off when she's done. But then sometimes she starts rooting only an hour later and I can't tell if it's gas or if she's really hungry. She seems satisfied after only 6-10 min on one side and still spits up, sometimes long after a feed, despite burping. I feel blessed and cursed at the same time. On one hand I have plenty of milk, but i'm so sad to see her in so much pain
    Ditto ditto ditto.
    But from my experience with DS, as they get older they'll catch up. Just in time to be distracted during nursing and for it to become a milky mess because of that. I am just now remembering I used to go into bathrooms and turn off the lights so that he'd nurse til he was full without being too distracted. Oh man. Babies.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
    zubenescamaliyellingbanana
  • @dmontgo thank you! The baby was dozing a few minutes then screaming and repeat. I thought he wanted to be held but then I thought about what you wrote about sometimes they just want to be alone. I put him in his RNP and I got over a half hour of peace! 
    yellingbananadmontgoSaraRose83