Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC, Fertility, & Weight-Loss Diet Thread - Wk of 1/9

2»

Re: TTC, Fertility, & Weight-Loss Diet Thread - Wk of 1/9

• Options
    @wabash15 Thanks but the pic isn't loading for me -- @lund did it work for you? Maybe it's my computer? For me it just says "displaying img_3734jpg"

• Options
    @adirat & @wabash15 the image isn't loading for me, either. I thought it was because I was mobile earlier, but now that I'm on a computer it still isn't working :/
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @adirat and @lund I will have DH help me load it again tonight. sometimes I am so tech challenged!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    Sorry I am late this week ladies.

@hartmich I love Pintrest to recipe hunt.  If you are trying to do low carb (I assume you mean processed carbs like bread) you may want to search for paleo recipes.  We usually over cook whatever we have for dinner to have for lunch the next day.

@adriat ugh. Soy. It is in everything.  When I did Paleo a couple of years ago I was having trouble finding foods that don't have soy.  Do you like to eat out or do you mostly do home cooked meals?

@bluejeanbabi05 I am the kind of person where if food is in front of me I will continue to eat.  With our diet it lays out specific portions so we put that on our plate and put the rest away.  That has really helped keep me from over eating.  I also try and drink a ton of water or iced tea (decaf and unsweetened) to help fill my stomach if I still feel hungry.  

@heatherdubrow We almost never use buns anymore we lettuce wrap a bunch of our meals.  Also Red Robin will lettuce wrap as will Five Guys and Jasons Deli (if you have those).  Also you may want to check out Christmas Abbot I think she has a diet that is similar to that, but it may have a weightlifting element FYI.

1. What diet are you following/considering? DH and I both follow Zone.  We are also trying to be better about our workout routines.

2. Why are you doing it/thinking about it -- fertility generally, existing diagnosis, weight-loss, other? We have done it off and on for awhile.  We both have gotten good results and we like it but its hard work especially to start.

3. When will you start OR how is it going so far if you've already started? We started right after the first of the year.  It is going well.  I adjusted my numbers based on a body fat test I did at my gym.  So today is day two on my new portions and I feel A LOT better. I get frustrated cause I tend to get into 5 pound cycles for awhile before I can break out of them, hopefully it goes better this year.

Me 30 DH 36                                  
    Married 9/26/15
    TTC 2/10/17 - BFP 5/5/17 - EDD 1/11/18

• Options
    @Sglen3 I mostly cook for us, so it hasn't been as bad as I imagine it would be for others, but it's a drag. I mean, besides essentially every processed food, there is soy in mayonnaise and flavored black tea and lip balm! It's bananas. 

• Options
    @Sglen3 that's great to know thank you! And I do some lifting so even better!
  • Options
    So, I made the Buffalo chicken quinoa in a quadruple batch.  Because leftovers.

Ha.  Between DH and the boys, they all but licked the pot clean.  
  • Options
    1. What diet are you following/considering?
    Just generally "don't eat everything in sight" and replacing that with "eat more fruits and veggies/less junk"

2. Why are you doing it/thinking about it -- fertility generally, existing diagnosis, weight-loss, other?
    Weight loss. 

3. When will you start OR how is it going so far if you've already started? 
    Started somewhat, need to really commit. I meal plan and whatnot but sometimes the meals i plan are not exactly healthy (see: doritos taco casserole planned for tomorrow) or I get lazy and don't actually cook. The crock pot is my friend. And so is my DH who doesn't mind cooking.

@LuND - your recipes sound so good! Thanks for sharing - I'm always looking for new/easy recipes :)

• Options
    @adirat Lip Balm? Awesome now I have to check the 50 tubes I have hidden around my house. 

Me 30 DH 36                                  
    Married 9/26/15

• Options
    @sglen3 It's pretty crappy. I had to throw mine out even the Burt's Bees. I found one brand without soy, parabens, phthalates, etc. -- Jane Iredale. @LuND found a brand called Cocokind that was also free of all that stuff. I can't find it around here (NY) though. 

• Options

@bertiemeetsgertie I love banana "ice cream"!

I just got back from the gym and I actually ran on the treadmill, not just walking. I feel so accomplished. I also did some weight stuff but got to the leg press machine but it's not a normal one, idk, well I was too short. As in when I was in position my legs were almost straight and the point is to push yourself up to straighten your legs. 

Just looked up the machine and it's a hackpress, so you press your body up not your legs 

Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• Options
    @Sglen3 @adirat you might have to order it online. The ONLY thing I don't like about it is that the stick itself starts to get a little bit of a weird texture after you use it for a bit - a little bumpy, kinda like coconut oil when it's in its solid form. Not a big deal, just something I noticed. 

https://shop.cocokind.com/collections/all/products/organic-lip-balm  (they have other flavors, too. I like the mint)

Also check the store locator - it looks like a lot of random stores carry at least the lip balm (like bed, bath & beyond)

It looks like they have it on Amazon, too, but only in packs of 3-10.
  • Options
     @adirat and @lund ok hopefully it worked this time.... 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    Thanks @wabash15, it worked :)

I'm really surprised that pasta is on the "so-so" list since all flour products are on the "bad" list. 
  • Options
    @wabash15 Yes, thank you! Interesting. I've never seen this kind of diet before.

• Options
    @lund I had the same thought, and why bananas are bad but all other fruit are good... I do loose weight on it, mostly because it keeps me from eating so much crap. The restrictive phase was very challenging the first. time I did it because it was a total diet overhaul but the maintenance phase is very doable. I do notice than when I'm on it I'm more conscious/sensitive to sugar and want less of it. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @wabash15 I'm so glad you posted that because this is loosely what I'm trying to do! I just want to cut out most processed things and avoid carbs. I wonder why yogurt is bad though? Do you know? 

• Options
    @hartmich I don't... my theory is that so many yogurts are packed with sugar but even plain yogurt is a bad...
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @wabash15 I do try to pick the yogurts that have less sugar, because some of them are definitely crazy high. I'm not consuming tons of yogurt anyway so I'm not going to worry about it. It is true that once you get over the hump of cutting the crap out, the craving stop. But last night, H was eating garlic toast and I think I would have killed for a piece... 

• Options
    @adirat @LuND Thanks Ladies!!  I will check these out.  

@wabash15 when my A1C was high my doc told me to avoid bananas because they had a really high sugar content.  I wonder if that is why?

Me 30 DH 36                                  
    Married 9/26/15

• Options
    @sglen3 that was my thought.  I like the diet but wish it came with rational
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @wabash15 @Sglen3 @hartmich @adirat I did some perusing, and this is the only thing I could find that comes close to explaining the diet:

https://theinformedhealthnut.com/2012/08/17/carbs-insulin-and-infertility-oh-my/
  • Options

1. What diet are you following/considering? Just eating clean in general, limiting carbs and sugar. 

2. Why are you doing it/thinking about it -- both improving fertility and to lose weight. I'd been doing really well earlier this year and gained 30 pounds after getting injured. I want to lose closer to 50 pounds to improve my health and try to minimize chances for complications. 

3. When will you start OR how is it going so far if you've already started? I started January 1 and have lost 5 pounds, but I'm also working with a trainer for injury rehab - hard to tell how much is food, but I feel a lot better and have more energy. 

@wabash15, thank for the diet chart!
  • Options
    1. What diet are you following/considering?
    I am following a gluten free, high protein, high fat diet. Gluten free cuz I feel better cutting gluten out of my diet. The high protein/fat diet, I've been told helps with PCOS. So I'm going with it. 

2. Why are you doing it/thinking about it -- fertility generally, existing diagnosis, weight-loss, other?
    I'm following this diet cuz I'm trying to lose 20lbs before I go for my iui in March. I'm thinking it may help with my egg quality. Just finished doing a complete work up - including blood work, cd 3 follicle count, HSG ultrasound, DH has done a SA, and cd 21 progesterone will be drawn. I have a follow up next month to get results. I'm hoping to hear we are good to go for iui. 

3. When will you start OR how is it going so far if you've already started? 
    I have already started. I've been at it since the new year began. I have so far lost 5-6lbs. So it's a start. I go to the gym 3x per week, and complete my own workout at home the other days. And surprisingly enough, I am not having my usual crazy cravings, although I'm not in the luteal phase/don't have my AF... I'm sure when I do I'll have wicked cravings. But for now I'm good. 
    Me:28 (PCOS, DOR), DH: 32 (low morphology)
    TTC since March 2012
    2013-2014 - 6 rounds of Clomid - BFNs
    3 failed IUIs in 2015
    October 2015 - wait listed for IVF #1
    IVF #1 March 2016 - bfn, zero frosties!
    Femara cycle 1 May 2016 - POAS starting May 21st / beta testing May 25th....