December 2016 Moms

Moms with Toddlers - 1.10.17

How've you been doing balancing a toddler(s) and your pregnancy/new baby(ies) this past week? 

What are you currently focusing/working on with your toddler?

Rants/Raves/Questions:

Anything you want to add/share?:

Bonus question: What's your favorite beauty product? 

FYI:
https://healthanddiytips.com/3-million-sippy-cups-recalled-children-get-sick/
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Moms with Toddlers - 1.10.17

• How've you been doing balancing a toddler(s) and your pregnancy/new baby(ies) this past week? 
    I'd like to think things are getting better. Toddler is back at daycare and DH back at work...I feel that the routine has helped DD. She still has at least one incident a day (usually about dinner) but she isn't always crying. We also have succeeded in getting her more involved...holding the baby, playing with the baby, helping during diapers (handing us the clean one). I think this has decreased the fearce jealousy she had been having. 

Being a little more independent. She always wants daddy's help in the bathroom so we are trying to encourage her to go alone and he'll meet her there. Sometimes it works. Other times she has a meltdown. On the fun side, riding her bike. She loves it and is really good at pedaling...but not so great at listening to instructions (stop, stay on sidewalk, keep going). 

Rants/Raves/Questions:
    Weekends are still tough. I almost look forward to daycare days. Then I feel guilty about "wishing her away". I need to adjust my attitude and try to enjoy this time more. 

She's also regressed a bit on potty training. But most accidents have been when DH is holding the baby so I think it's fully a cry for attention...even if dh is reading toddler a book while holding the baby. 

I'm the worst person to ask this...I don't wear makeup, do my nails, and use whatever shampoo/conditioner is cheapest at costco. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

jennbaylor12
  • How've you been doing balancing a toddler(s) and your pregnancy/new baby(ies) this past week? 

The week started out rough with my H picking up a side job and DD1 catching something viral. Thankfully my mom came over to watch the baby so we could go to the Drs. Today her fever is gone and we are just laying low and I'm hoping the rest of the week goes much smoother for us all!

I feel like this changes minute to minute. Right now we've had to really focus on the important of listening. Her behavior overall has been great since we brought the baby home, but she has found ways to sneakily push the limits or finds subtle ways to be fresh. 

Shes also been super interested in books and puzzles so we've been pushing that a lot and encouraging independent play because sometimes mommy and daddy need to just rest. 

Rants/Raves/Questions:

since shes been sick, DD1's sleep has been wonky. Up at 3am yesterday and 4am today. I'm hoping she goes back to a more normalish schedule because as much as I love the snugs in the morning, I'd much prefer to sleep without her hands on my face and her feet kicking my gut.

Makeup Forever undereye concealer. It's the one expensive beauty product I'm willing to invest in because it works so well and lord knows I need these circles covered these days! 

jennbaylor12
  • Loading the player...
    With much help from DH. And trips out of the house every day. DS is a challenge right now. He's entering terrible two's. I am trying to remind myself he's trying to do what we do and he's exploring and learning - not just for the sake of making mischief. But time with him is generally very challenging right now.
    Communicating "help mama" rather than erupting in fit when something frustrates him. I also want to work on coloring and drawing.
    Rants/Raves/Questions:
    Do you have to "teach" toddlers how to draw?
    I'm tired.
    I love trader joe's tea tree oil face wash. It's the one product I've ever purchased that I'm like... this stuff is good. I will buy this again.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
    jennbaylor12
  • @slartybartfast we/daycare don't teach dd1 to draw...just gave her crayons or markers and paper and she went to town. There are developmentally appropriate ways for them to hold writing utensils supposedly...but we don't force it. She has changed how she holds them quite often and still goes between hands sometimes. 

It wasn't until around 26 months that she started drawing "pictures". By that I mean telling us what she's drawing (it never looks that way!). Also at her 2.5 yo checkup they asked if she can draw straightish lines and circles...so I guess those are milestones? 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

slartybartfastjennbaylor12
  • edited January 2017
    @sourlemon - that makes sense. I guess DS is still on the young side. Sometimes he tries to copy if I make circles and stuff but usually he just makes polka dots (slamming the crayons into the paper repeatedly), tries to draw on his hands, and then takes a bite of the crayon. When he was at kindercare he'd come home with things he "drew" but at home he'll mess around for like 2 minutes and then throw them on the floor.
    I try playdough too but he's only interested in opening and closing the container a few times and then throwing it all on the floor.
    ...still struggling with indoor winter activities.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
    jennbaylor12