June 2017 Moms

Breast Pumps

Re: Breast Pumps

• Praying41 said:
    I got the medela PISA through insurance and it did what it was supposed to so it's definitely a good pump. I exclusively pumped from 6 months to 11 months. This time around if I can get another through insurance I'm going to try to get the spectra. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I still have the medela of it turns out I don't like the other. Or I might keep one at work and one at home. 

My 2 biggest recommendations is to buy the pumpkin pals flanges. Only $30 on Amazon but they are so much more comfortable than anything else I used. I also put a little coconut oil on the areas where the nipples are. Kept it from getting sore with how often I pumped. 

Ghe other recommendation is buying washable pads. It'll save a ton of money in the long run.

oh and for those who will be pumping at work, a hands free pumping bra is a life saver. Best $30 I spent. I tried medela and it sucked but the simple wishes one is awesome. 
    All the above!!!

I have those same flanges and pump bra... also had the Medela and it was too loose of a stretch to hold the flanges in place.

Also, coconut oil saved my life, we'll my nipples, while exclusively pumping for my boys.

Also, I used wool nursing pads (so soft and reusable) that I purchased from Green Mountain Diapers.
  • I decided on thr Spectra but I am debating spending the difference for S1 rather than S2.

For those of you that exclusively pumped for any amount of time, is it thay bad?? I just want to keep my options open as a FTM and if BFing doesn't work for one reason or another, I have always thout EPing would be an option, but people seem to hate it. Just curious. 
  • Loading the player...
  • MKRLTX said:
    I decided on thr Spectra but I am debating spending the difference for S1 rather than S2.

For those of you that exclusively pumped for any amount of time, is it thay bad?? I just want to keep my options open as a FTM and if BFing doesn't work for one reason or another, I have always thout EPing would be an option, but people seem to hate it. Just curious. 
    EPing in of itself wasn't that bad (for me). It is more the fact that you have to pump AND take care of a baby, and when baby is a newborn and eating 8-9 times/day, that can get rough. It's hard to balance both. I did BF at first, but it never clicked for us, so I pretty much EPd for about 5 months. If BFing as as difficult this time around, I'm just going to switch to formula. There's no way that I am going to EP and take care of two LOs who are only 14 months apart. 
  • @MKRLTX I did it, and for whatever reason I had to pump ~ 40 minutes each time I pumped otherwise I wouldn't fully empty and I did have at least one case of mastitis that required antibiotics.

There were days I hated it, such a grind, but I did it for 11 months.  As I work fulltime, it wasn't a huge deal to pump during work... just brought my laptop with me the mother's room and worked.  On family trips, I would just excuse myself to the room we were sleeping in and was by myself/pumped.  I really disliked the isolation feeling when breastfeeding is supposed to be a bonding experience, so I resented that a little, but I was so hell bent on them having breastmilk that it was enough motivation to make it worth it...

I could see if being harder if you are a SAHM or have younger kids to look after more often.  If breastfeeding doesn't work out this time with DS3, then I plan to EP for him but I have got to find a way for my sessions not to last 40 minutes.
  • Just ordered my Spectra S2 thru insurance...hoping that it's fully covered. If I like the pump, I'll eventually keep it at work where I pump the most and buy the Freemie cups to plug in while I'm sitting and typing patient notes. I'll leave my PISA at home or rent the Symphony for home use as needed. This time around, I feel like I won't have the luxury of being able to make up lost ounces that I didn't pump at work while at home on my days off because I'll have an active 2.5yo as well as an infant! So, want to maximize my output while I'm away and focus my time at home as much on being present with the kids as possible. But, maybe nap time will be an option to get this done if I can figure out how to synch up at least one of the baby's naps. And now I'm getting waaaaaaaaaay ahead of myself!
  • MKRLTX said:
    I decided on thr Spectra but I am debating spending the difference for S1 rather than S2.

You know, some people loathe EPing, for me, it wasn't bad. I was chained to a pump, but DH could also handle some feedings. whereas if you BF, you're basically on your own feeding-wise. I'm also a person who is routine, so pumping every two hours was better than cluster feedings.

I had so many issues BFing that EPing was the compromise that worked best for me.
  • @Stankonia2014 That was my favorite part of EPing - scheduling pumping and no cluster feeding! Plus DH could take the nighttime feeding. There are definitely pros for both options. 
  • It's hard and a lot of work but I was determined to give my baby breastmilk so once I made that decision it became a part of my daily schedule just like eating and sleeping and working out. Nursing didn't work out for us because we had a tongue tie that was discovered too late to change bad habits and it was less work to pump them fight to try to nurse. I'm grateful to have had the ability to provide breastmilk for my girl when nursing did not work out. If you do end up EPing, just remember it's only for a short time compared to all the future benefits your baby can get from it. 
    But also, don't beat yourself up if it doesn't end up working. Try your best but remember even if you have to use formula, you aren't a bad mother and you aren't a failure and your baby will still love you the same. It took me a long time to get over the guilt and the fear of failure. 
  • @MKRLTX That last message was supposed to quote your question. Not sure what happened. 
  • I'm getting the Spectra S2 through insurance.  Any ideas on what type of bag to get since it doesn't come with one?  Any bag you loved for your Spectra?  Are there specific pump bags?
  • I got a spectra as well. There are some cute compatible bags in Etsy but I haven't bought anything yet. I figure I will make something work!
    Me: 36 DH: 37
    Married May 2013
    TTC #1: April 2016 (Mirena removed March 2016 after 2.5 years)a
    BFP #1: 10/14/16 - DD born 6/2017  <3
    TTC #2 November 2018 (Mirena removed October 2018 after 1 year)
    BFP #2 9/11/19 - EDD 5/24/20 - DD born 5/2020 <3
    TTC #3 May 2022 (Mirena removed after almost 2 years)
    BFP #3 11/24/23 - EDD 7/30/24

• I decided to go with the Medela Pump In Style and it arrived today. Excited to have it, not too excited about using it eventually.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This thread has been so helpful, thanks everyone!  FTM here...

Because of all the positive comments about the Target program, I started there.  They came back and told me the only pump I was eligible for was the Medela In Style.  I went to my insurance directly, however, and they gave me four vendors they use and each vendor had a slightly different selection.  The vendor I went with offered 6 different pumps, including the Spectra S2 which I went with.  Sadly, I wasn't able to upgrade for the S1 even when offering to pay the difference.  I was able to buy Spectra compatible freemie hands free collection cups and the attachments for that.

Also, though today's no vote on Capitol Hill is probably relieving some anxiety about whether pumps will continue to be covered through ACA, the vendor I went with also shared that they don't expect any changes this calendar year even if a repeal did go through, for whatever that's worth.

happy Friday!
    Me: 34, FTM, DH: 34
    BFP: 9/30/16, EDD: 6/9/17
  • mombodmombod member
    edited March 2017
    Anyone use the Ameda bags before? I already have two Medela PIS from my last pregnancy (they accidentky shipped two). I have different insurance that covers Ameda double electric or manual so I ordered the manual as a back-up to the PIS. With it comes 150 Ameda storage bags every 90 days. I used Lanisoh bags last time and never had leaks or anything with a huge freezer stash. The bags are free so Ill try them but trying to figure out how they compare. I would hate to lose milk from leaks.
  • i went through aceleron, the bump advertises them, they showed me all the pumps and the upgrade options and made it really easy.  I much prefer going through a website and visually seeing rather than calling an 800 number.  i went with the S1 which was an upgrade and pay $65 :)
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @mombod, no experience with Ameda either, but I also used and had the best luck with the Lansinoh and the Up&Up brand bags. 
  • I've heard amazing things about the Lansinoh bags and a few people have told me the up&up Target bags leak more often. I've never had a problem with them. Do bags usually just leak after being frozen while defrosting? Or do some of them leak with fresh milk too? If I defrost them in a bowl then leaking isn't that big of an issue. I just wouldn't want them leaking fresh milk! I've also seen people who fill the bags up as much as they will take, and not just the 5-6oz. I assume that over filling would lead to leaks. 
  • alm52386 said:
    I've heard amazing things about the Lansinoh bags and a few people have told me the up&up Target bags leak more often. I've never had a problem with them. Do bags usually just leak after being frozen while defrosting? Or do some of them leak with fresh milk too? If I defrost them in a bowl then leaking isn't that big of an issue. I just wouldn't want them leaking fresh milk! I've also seen people who fill the bags up as much as they will take, and not just the 5-6oz. I assume that over filling would lead to leaks. 
    I've put up to 7 oz in a Lansinoh bag and never had a leak, fresh or thawing. 
  • No leaks ever with lanisoh bags filled up to 8 ozs with a freezer stash of over 1000 ozs. Thas why Im skeptical of my free Ameda bags.. my expectations are high.
  • I'm weirdly excited to get my breast pump in the mail today! I never had one last time and dd never even needed to take a bottle, but I feel better knowing if Micah has latching trouble we are covered. Thanks insurance! 
  • Hi ladies. I thought I had this all figured out but now I am stuck. I finally got a call from Acelleron to order my pump (I couldn't order until 28 weeks). I thought the Pump in Style was fully covered (like the versions you see at Target), but I was mistaken. Insurance covers the Pump in Style Advanced Starter Set (pump, set of shields, set of bottles, tubes, etc.). Its $85 to upgrade to the backpack or tote version, comes with the bag, cooler, extra bottles and battery pack. I looked online and it seems I could get the battery pack and cooler set for $60 or under online, but the bags cost quite a bit, so I think the $85 is worth it to upgrade. I guess I am concerned about upgrading (thinking the backpack) and then my milk not coming in and it being waste. Thoughts?
  • @graceriesz it depends on how you envision your pump use being. I never used mine anywhere that necessitated a battery pack, so it was useless for me. If you don't need that part of it you can just get the medela bottles, any ice pack, and a cute tote to carry it all in for a lot cheaper.
    Lilypie Maternity tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • @graceriesz The starter set was all that I got with DS, too. I did end up buying the battery pack and extra bottles later on (there were several times that I was out without DS for hours and needed to pump in the car) and I used an old purse as the bag and a small cooler bag. IMO the upgrade is worth it if you think you will use those items. I would have much preferred having everything more streamlined and designed to fit. I kind of hated my bulky set up. 
  • @mirdamae03 @ladylolly89 thanks ladies. I am going back to work after 15 weeks, so if I am successful at breastfeeding (fingers crossed) I definitely need the on-the-go options regardless if it's the ones that come with it, or purchased separately. 
  • @mirdamae03 @ladylolly89 thanks ladies. I am going back to work after 15 weeks, so if I am successful at breastfeeding (fingers crossed) I definitely need the on-the-go options regardless if it's the ones that come with it, or purchased separately. 
    I went back at 18 weeks! Yes, you definitely do need portable options!
    I would have upgraded mine after going back to work, but I got pregnant with this LO shortly after and lost all of my milk, so it wasn't necessary any more. :wink: There's no way I would have kept it up with that set up. 
  • @graceriesz I just had the starter kit, and I went back to work at 14 weeks. I just used a tote bag I had to carry everything and put pumped milk bottles in an extra lunch bag in the faculty kitchen refrigerator. I did get an extra set of pump parts and bottles, which was great to have. I have no personal experience with the upgrade stuff, but I wouldn't think a specific bag would really be that much more convenient, and the rest of that stuff you can buy for much cheaper. 
  • @graceriesz DO NOT pay to upgrade just to get the bag.  Most of the PISA bags cannot be separated from the pump, which is a massive pain in the ass, and the ones that can are such poor quality...I had the messenger bag and the strap fell off within 2 months of me carrying the pump to work every day.  Just get yourself a nice large, well made tote bag with lots of pockets and you'll be all set.  I used a Vera Bradley that MIL got me for Christmas and it was great.

Do get the battery pack and cooler bag though.  Or you can just get the Medela ice pack on amazon for $5 and use any old cooler bag, that is also an option.
  • I agree I think the upgrade is a waste. I just used a tote bag and a regular cooler bag. I have a battery pack but it only gotvused a few times on a road trip in the car. Youre going to pay a premium for a special bag that doesnt really have any special purpose. I went back to work at 14 weeks and pumped until he was 13 months old.
  • Thanks ladies. As nice as the bag sounds to have everything 'fit' nicely. I'm leaning towards buying the items separately. This way, should my milk not come in, I could return the extras to where ever I end up getting them (babies r us, target) and not have paid any extras for the pump. Assuming you can't return the pump even if it's not opened, should my milk not come in or I can't breastfeed for whatever reason. 
  • How many bottles come with the Medela starter kit? All I was told is that I get the Medela double electric pump and I won't get it until after delivery. I guess I tell the hospital when I arrive to have her that I will be getting a pump through my insurance and I should have it before I go home. 
    I will be going back to work but I don't know when and I might be able to nurse her while at work since I work in childcare and wherever I go she will be with me. Do I even need a bag? Should I just use any old purse/bag that everything fits in just in case I need to take it somewhere? 
  • zseirecargzseirecarg member
    edited April 2017
    @alm52386 The Medela PIS advanced starter set comes with two bottles. 
  • @alm52386 it comes with 2 5oz bottles with lids. It doesnt come with nipples or collars so you will need to get those. I recommend getting at least 1 more set of 5oz bottles and a set of bottle collars and slow flow nipples. 8 oz bottles are less important bc most ebf babies never drink more than 5 oz (plus the 8 oz bottles come with medium flow nipples which isnt recommended for babies that both breast and bottle feed). I only used 8 oz bottles for morning pump session bc I had oversupply and didnt like to switch bottles mid pump.
    Like previously mentioned many people find a tote bag fits the needs vs a specific breast pump bag.
  • @alm52386 just use whatever bag you want, no need for anything special.  If you're planning to pump a lot, you will need like a billion bottles (unless you pump directly into bags).  I had 20 medela 5oz collection bottles and pumped 4×/day when I first went back to work and there were times when every single one of them either had milk in it or was waiting to be cleaned in the dishwasher.  DD actually took avent bottles, I just used the medela ones for pumping.

If you don't plan to pump much, I'd estimate a dozen would be fine.  I'm also getting some of the bigger bottles this time and a tall cooler bag for cooler-packing effeciency.  There were days at work where the medela cooler wasn't big enough for my haul.  It only fits 4 5oz bottles.
  • Thanks for the info @mombod and @delujm0! I registered for Dr. Browns bottles, a 3-pack of 4 oz bottles and a 3-pack of 8 oz bottles plus 6 level 2 nipples. I plan to pump into the medela bottles and then transfer to bags or a bottle. I think I already have a medela start set on my registry that comes with some 5 oz bottles and those tall skinny ones that don't hold much. 

Anyone know if the Dr. Browns 8 oz bottles come with level 1 or level 2 nipples? I don't think it said on the description online.
  • @alm52386 8 oz come with level 1. Level 2 is pretty fast so it's worth it to keep some level 1 or even preemie on hand to start out with a breastfed baby.
  • I got my pump in the mail today - finally! It was 100% paid for by insurance - any reason I shouldn't open it? There are stickers all over it saying I can't return if once it's opened - but I am not sure why I would need to return it?
  • Anyone else get the spectra s1?  I have it.  I will say I like that it's rechargeable... I take it various places with me and it's nice not needing to plug it in.  I can't say I have any complaints about it yet.  I pump at home with it and use the hospitals medela when I'm in the nicu.  
  • @Wearmi1 just got mine in the mail last week of course haven't tried it yet but that was a big reason for upgrading to the s1

• @Wearmi1 I ordered an S1 last week. I have no experience with it, but I am seeing a Lactation consultant due to issues I had with DD and she said it's the one she would recommend.