August 2017 Moms

Urinary Tract Infection

Ladies, I'm 6 weeks+4 days according to my LMP. Early this morning I woke up to pee and when I wiped there was bright red blood. I immediately went to the ER. (I just suffered a MC in May so everything about this pregnancy has me on high alert).

I was at the ER for a few hours they looked at my urine and blood. Did a pelvic exam, an abdominal ultrasound and an transvaginal ultrasound. (No heartbeat or baby was able to be seen, just that the embryo is implanted properly and there was a yolk and sac).

I was diagnosed with a UTI and given Keflex to treat it. I've started the medicine already. But I'm wondering will I continue to spot? Because this evening when I went to pee there was blood on the small pad I'm wearing and when I pee'd there was a small amount in the toilet. 

I'm so worried has anyone ever experienced a UTI that caused spotting or bleeding? And how long did you bleed?

I have a beta HCG scheduled for Tuesday. It's currently 1500 and the nurse said if it reaches 3000 we can do another scan. 

Re: Urinary Tract Infection

• Maybe I posted in the wrong area. No support huh ladies? 
  • This board is still pretty quiet! 
    I have not experienced this so have no advice, just wanted to wish you luck, and am praying for high BETAs!
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't had a UTI while pregnant so I have no advice:( did they seem worried about your betas? I'm surprised they won't do a US unless your numbers double with your current situation. Good luck mama!
  • edited December 2016
    You could be earlier than 6 weeks and 4 days because I'm pretty sure your numbers would be higher by then and a baby would be seen at that point. So it could be implantation bleeding still? My first pregnancy I had brown, pink and bright red spotting around 6 weeks for a day or two and was told it's implantation bleeding. Also, spotting can happen after sex because the cervix is sensitive. However, bleeding does in fact happen with a UTI so I would try not to worry and just focus on that it's from that and your UTI is being treated. When I have had UTIs non pregnant, I bleed from urethra while peeing, but during pregnancy UTIs also cause uterine bleeding. Good luck. I hope you see progress on your next scan! 
  • Thank you ladies. I'm just panicking and stressing even though I'm trying to stay calm. I'm a little extra emotional. 

I went it today for another BHCG. Praying for the best!!!
  • I had one with my first pregnancy that they caught when I went to the ER for a SCH. I didn't even have symptoms, but I do remember them telling me that symptoms of UTIS can be different in pregnant women