July 2017 Moms

Babymoon

Is anyone planning yet?  Zika virus has ruined any hope of the Caribbean for us. We had to cancel our trip for next month to Antigua. But I'm determined to find a Zika free beach destination for our babymoon. 

Re: Babymoon

• My 10 year anniversary is next year, and DH and I had been planning a trip to Europe without the kids. I had already asked my MIL if she'd take care of my 8 and 5yo next summer for a week while we traveled. But alas, we obviously have to change our plans! We still want to do something fun for our 10th, but the Zika issue is such a pain, and I am too paranoid to get on a plane. Am I the only psycho who won't fly while pregnant? I have zero logic for it, I just don't feel comfortable at all doing it. 

So now we're looking into a bed and breakfast somewhere in the Shenandoah valley (we live in Virginia). Or anywhere else within a reasonable driving distance (less than 8 hours). We're thinking sometime in March or April, basically whenever the kids have their spring break from school so they can go to my MiL for a week. It's not as exciting as a trip to Greece or Italy like we had initially planned, but I think it's going to be awesome regardless! 
  • We are going to Hawaii, right now we are looking at going to Oahu and the Big Island for 10ish days total.  

We we would have probably gone to Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta, but Zika. 
  • Loading the player...
  • XathXath member
    edited December 2016
    @supermom83 Check out the Homestead Resort near Warm Springs, VA.  We went there with friends a few years ago and had a blast.  If you don't want the giant hotel, there are a bunch of B&Bs nearby that have spa/activity agreements with Homestead so you can stay in an intimate spot and still do all of the stuff.

ETA: They sometimes have really good deals on groupon.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Our 10 year anniversary is this spring and we had already been making plans prior to getting pregnant. We may have to move it up a couple of weeks depending since I'd be closer to 30 weeks when we originally thought about going. Hopefully we'll still get to do most everything we planned and I won't get too pooped or uncomfortable with flying/driving for a couple weeks. 
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga
  • We were supposed to go to Germany with DH's family in late May. As long as my doctor gives the ok, I don't mind flying while pregnant but I would prefer not to be away when I am that late in my pregnancy. We talked about doing Italy in February/early March or doing something in the continental US. The Zika issue really sucks since it limits all Caribbean destinations.

@Itsnotyourturn we went to Hawaii last February and had a fabulous time. 
  • @supermom83 I don't like flying when I'm not pregnant, so nothing in this world will get me on a plane when I am pregnant. My husband and I had considered honeymooning in the Finger Lakes in New York State. They're up near Syracuse. It might be close enough, and it's really beautiful up there. 

My husband and I are considering a babymoon, but we haven't made plans yet. We're thinking about NC beaches, or maybe the Finger Lakes in NY. I would have loved to go to the Carribean, but as has been said in every post, Zika. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Xath said:
    @supermom83 Check out the Homestead Resort near Warm Springs, VA.  We went there with friends a few years ago and had a blast.  If you don't want the giant hotel, there are a bunch of B&Bs nearby that have spa/activity agreements with Homestead so you can stay in an intimate spot and still do all of the stuff.

ETA: They sometimes have really good deals on groupon.
    Thanks for the recommendation! I'll make sure to look into it. 
  • Well reading this thread just made me realize that our 10 year anniversary is in May haha. Best wife ever. Had to really think about it. We'd love to do a baby moon in April over the school break so the ILs could watch the girls for a few nights. No idea where though, I'd love a tropical beach but can't see that happening. Maybe just a spa.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DH and I were planning on doing Hawaii for our 5 year anniversary in May but with the new baby and doing a trip to Disney in October we've decided to just hold off on it for now. For Christmas I told DH I wanted a weekend getaway with just him and no kids so we'll probably head up to one of the mountain resorts nearby and rent a cabin for a weekend and call it good

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• We might try to take a weekend to Lake Tahoe next spring but DD would come with us so I don't know if that counts as a babymoon since we'd have a toddler yelling at us the whole time, lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was thinking of Hawaii. At least there we could still have the beach and we've always wanted to go. 
  • I was thinking of Hawaii. At least there we could still have the beach and we've always wanted to go. 
    I used to live on Oahu and still go to Kona and Maui a fair amount for work.  The best deals we have found are on the big island.  It's very different from Honolulu though.  It's basically like the countryside of Hawaii.  Way less people, crowds, etc.  Way more pleasant for us.  The beaches are not as easy to access in some places though. Hapuna beach was easy access and one of the most beautiful beaches I've seen in my life.
  • Yeah I'm so depressed about this after having to cancel our Florida and Turks and Caicos vacations. Baby #3 came as a surprise. 

Hawaii is too far as we live in boston. Bermuda is an option but it's only in the low 60s in the winter and is really like a 70s/80s temp location. I need something to help me through this winter!
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Creedon778 concur.  We are thisclose to packing up and moving back to Hawaii.  These rainy Seattle 9 months winters suck.  
  • LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited December 2016
    @Creedon778 concur.  We are thisclose to packing up and moving back to Hawaii.  These rainy Seattle 9 months winters suck.  
    My parents use to live in Hawaii, military, and my mom still talks about how amazing it was!! It was now 30 years ago for them. LOL

ETA: words! 
  • @LoveLee85 I only moved back to Seattle because I met my husband and he lived here.  Otherwise I'd be sitting on a beach right now.
  • Hawaii is the best option if its not too long of a flight for you and you want warm, sunny, and beach.  We had to cancel our trip to the Caribbean on account of zika in July and of course can't go anytime between now and next summer.  I was so bummed I booked flights to Maui - husband thought it was too far, so we ended up canceling that trip and going to San Diego instead.  It was just  o.k.  I apparently need to leave the continental U.S. in order to feel like I'm on vacation.

I have no idea what we will do for a babymoon next year because our toddler would have to come - so it would kind of defeat the purpose.
  • The weekend we got married, we drove up to Calistoga and stopped at Indian Springs hot springs resort and we had decided for our ten year next year, we'd definitely go back - but now..... we'all have just had a baby. So, that's out of the picture. 

We visit my parents in Hawaii pretty frequently so we'all probably go once before and id love to go once more during my maternity leave. I could spend days hiking in the morning and evening and hanging out in Kailua. 
  • @supermom83 chateau Elan outside of Atlanta is amazing, amazing, amazing! They have a baby moon package that's to die for!
  • My husband definitely wants to take a trip during my second trimester. We scrapped plans to go to Italy because of the pregnancy. Have not come up with a Plan B yet though. 
  • Hawaii is the best option if its not too long of a flight for you and you want warm, sunny, and beach.  We had to cancel our trip to the Caribbean on account of zika in July and of course can't go anytime between now and next summer.  I was so bummed I booked flights to Maui - husband thought it was too far, so we ended up canceling that trip and going to San Diego instead.  It was just  o.k.  I apparently need to leave the continental U.S. in order to feel like I'm on vacation.

I have no idea what we will do for a babymoon next year because our toddler would have to come - so it would kind of defeat the purpose.
    Cruise or Club Med type resort?  Most of those have some sort of kid activity camp so the adults can still relax.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We did a babymoon with DS...probably not this time, since I would want to go to the Carribbean, and you know, Zika.  We may do a few weekend trips with DS (we usually do in the winter, as we start feeling pretty cooped up in March).  We did Philly last year (so fun).
  • @supermom83 chateau Elan outside of Atlanta is amazing, amazing, amazing! They have a baby moon package that's to die for!
    I'll definitely look into that! Thanks for the recommendation! 
  • @Creedon778 Also in Boston, also a big fan of BDA. We'll consider it for "spring" (early March... brrr) break.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • @ACharnelle that package did look amazing. Too much for us but what a deal and it looks beautiful! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It's not a vacation unless I'm relaxing with a glass of wine so...no babymoon for me. 
    I feel this way but with a margarita! It's my jam. Oh, and hot tubs and sauna!!! I would just be annoyed and missing out! 
  • @Creedon778 @lph4248 Also from Boston.  Since we're trying to save some money for when LO arrives, we definitely won't be going anywhere far. We'll probably end up with just a weekend getaway down the Cape or will head up north to Bar Harbor for a few days. 
    Me: 36  DH: 40
    Together since 2007 | Married June 2013

TTC #1: June 2015
    BFP: 11/9/16 |  EDD: 7/22/17
       <3 DD born 7/16/17

TTC #2: December 2018
    BFP: 2/26/19 | EDD: 11/7/19
    <3 DS born 11/3/19 

TTC #3: January 2024
    Mirena out 1/23/24
  • @JAM85 that's why I have never been lol. But I think I might talk him into it for our anniversary this coming year. Honestly I might be kinda bummed to not be able to enjoy the wine so maybe I should wait until after baby comes. 
  • I would love to take a long weekend somewhere in the spring, before I'm super uncomfortable... But we need to take our DD's with us.  Anyone have any suggestions in the northeast that are kid friendly?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Xath said:
    Hawaii is the best option if its not too long of a flight for you and you want warm, sunny, and beach.  We had to cancel our trip to the Caribbean on account of zika in July and of course can't go anytime between now and next summer.  I was so bummed I booked flights to Maui - husband thought it was too far, so we ended up canceling that trip and going to San Diego instead.  It was just  o.k.  I apparently need to leave the continental U.S. in order to feel like I'm on vacation.

Cruise or Club Med type resort?  Most of those have some sort of kid activity camp so the adults can still relax.
    I hope I get better about it - but I'm really picky about who I leave my son with.  I've only left him at night with hubby once for a couple hours....  And it takes me months to leave a new caregiver home alone with baby (I can work from home).  You know he is doing so much better now that I should really relax!  We have a much better handle on what was going on with him and he is outgrowing many of the issues he had in infancy.  I likely don't have to worry about him as much as I used to...sigh...  Must.cut.cord.

I don't know much about club med - so I will look into it - thanks for the suggestion.  As for cruises, I'm kind of a free spirit travel snob (before baby) and cannot see myself conforming to a cruise environment lol!  Of course, now I have a family - so perhaps things will have to change.  Sigh...  

@Cait32 I could not be more jealous.  How the hell did you find flights for $400?  I mean the weather in Paris isn't great in Februray but even that doesn't account for the magical price you got.  Win!!!!!  Sniff sniff.... Tears came to my eyes out of pure envy!  Am I a teenager?!?

@dancegurl1118 my midwife was fine with a glass of wine here or there in the third trimester.  And many physicians are too.  I went to the Caribbean on a babymoon in 2015 - and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made - especially as I was a FTM.  The chaos that has since ensued reinforces that every day.  Not being able to really drink sucked but the beach for me and just getting away was amazing!  I went in my 8th month too - hubby was officially against it but whatever - I told him I was going with or without him.   (He didn't want to have a baby in a 'third world country' - well ehem! I was born in a third world country and things turned out just fine!)
  • @caribbeanmama sorry, I should've specified. It isn't vacation without BOTTLES AND BOTTLES of wine  :D
    I see you  B)B)
  • @notachanski I know the Poconos in eastern PA can be great for kids and couples. They have a lot of entertainment, and lodges, for everyone. Great Wolf Lodge has an indoor water park. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • We're looking at Kiawah Island, SC for March right now for a long weekend. The prices are still low by we can still get to Charleston easily and they have a resort with a spa which is what I want: 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kerils Thanks you! I'm definitely going to look into it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We're thinking of going to Maui and Oahu (our cousins and their 2 kids just moved to Oahu so we figure we should visit for 2-3 days) at 31 weeks for 7 to 10 days in may also would be celebrating our 7yr wedding anniversary early (which is later in may) my OB has OK'd it, and hoping my mom will use her millions of skymiles to send us since she also sent us to Italy for our honeymoon with just miles; no way are we going to risk even going even to Florida with Zika concerns
  • We are planning a Disney cruise in January/February (before I get banned for being too pregnant). We will take my 10 year old DSS and our 2 year old DD and leave the 1 year old with family. We love the Disney cruise and took one two years ago, the day care center is a big draw and my daughter spent many happy hours there while we ate dinner and did a few things like the spa or a show when we knew she would not appreciate it at 8 months old lol. Plus they have a center for the older kids and with a bracelet we get notifications when he checks out (if we allow it lol) and all that fun stuff so we always know where he is if we are doing separate activities. And I can never forget the free room service - many nights at 10pm getting a sandwich or meal delivered was such a luxury when the baby was sleeping.
  • @Dcwtada , free room service is one my favorite things about cruising.  We went on Norwegian in February and they have a $7.95 service fee for room service and literally no other way to get dessert after 9pm unless you order room service.  We like to eat late so that was our first and last Norwegian cruise.
  • @Itsnotyourturn I wasn't a big fan of Norwegian, either. That's who we cruised for our baby moon with DS and it was just ok. Of course, my only cruise line for comparison is Holland America, which seems much nicer though geared toward older folks. Which line do you prefer?