Trying to Get Pregnant

Weekly Chart Stalk Thread

This is a thread where anyone can feel free to request a chart stalk, second-guess FF's interpretation, or post chart-related questions, regardless of where in your cycle you are. Sometimes FF is wrong. That's where we come in. Get your second opinion here.

Post those charts, ladies!

Re: Weekly Chart Stalk Thread

• I have a chart-related question.  I did a chart overlay in FF and this cycle's chart is looking really similar to my chart 3 cycles ago (I'm currently on CD 13).  In the previous cycle I Oed on CD 15, which is the earliest since I started charting in July.  Most of my O days are in the CD 18-20 range.  Is there any reason to believe that the similarities between this cycle's chart and that previous cycle's suggest my O date may also be similar?
  • @ladymeowmeow Maybe. Can you describe what is similar? For instance, if you often get temp drops before O and you're seeing that now, that is a likely indicator of earlier O. Ditto if you are having a similar early fertile cm pattern. For early cycle temps, though, it could just be random. 

• Loading the player...
  • This is my first time temping so I have no idea what I am doing. What do I need to look for. This is what it looks like so far. 
  • @adirat Thanks.  I'm just referring to the temps.  I haven't found tracking CM to be very helpful or reliable at this point because I rarely see any EWCM.  That being said, I just looked back at that previous cycle I was referring to, and I had noted some EWCM on CDs 11 and 13.  I have yet to see any this cycle, so I probably won't O by CD 15 this time.  Anyway, here is the overlay I was looking at.

• @LadyMeowMeow Based just on temps, I'm not seeing it. But anything is possible, so if I were you I'd make sure to HIO just in case you O early :)

@hopefulmommy1980 Your temps don't show ovulation yet, but you're still really early. You want to be looking for a sustained temp shift with consistently higher temps after ovulation. I suggest checking out FF's chart gallery so you can understand what this will show: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/cg/ 

• I'm not sure whether this is really a chart question but any thoughts on whether my bbt is favoring temps and /or broken? It's only a few months old but my temps have been really similar for over a week now, and the one low temp was an open circle (temped much later than normal). Is it normal for temps to be this consistent? 

• @metrogirl mine were super consistent this cycle until I Oed so I don't think it's abnormal. 

DD1 born 1/15/14
    DD2 born 9/10/17
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @metrogirl - Your temps should be consistent, but you shouldn't have a line that's really flat. I'd get a new thermometer, if I were you, or change the battery. You generally won't have the same exact temp 2 days in a row, and two days in a row twice in one cycle would make me wonder if your BBT needs replacing.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Just an update from last week's chart stalk thread. I didn't get a temp spike after positive OPK. I'm back to prevalent creamy CM, so I'm out. I knew it was a long shot, but it still sucks. Thanks again for all your insight and support. The help you gave means so much. 
    SN used to be soemthingclever
    Me: 28 DH: 35
    Dx PCOS May 2015
    Baby #1 due 12/7/17
  • @metrogirl  that type of thing was common for me, it's not necessarily inaccurate.  Wait and see how the cycle goes abd if you feel you dint trust it, then you can try a new thermometer/battery change at the beginning of your next cycle.  Beat not to change in the middle unless it really can't be helped. 

@soemthingclever aw, man. I have been rooting so hard for your ovaries!!!  Don't give up hope :)
  • Thanks, @BusinessWife It's feeling pretty hopeless, but I'm hanging in there. 
    Dx PCOS May 2015
    Baby #1 due 12/7/17
  • Oh no @soemthingclever I'm so sorry to hear it was a fakeout. I'll keep my internet fingers crossed an O is yet to come.

@metrogirl This is odd but it has happened to me before, too. I agree with @businesswife that it's better to keep the same thermometer each cycle and if you need a new one, order for next cycle (but fx you don't need it).

• @spiderlover25 @izza2 @BusinessWife @adirat thanks ladies! I bought my thermometer before I read the newbie guide and it's not the mabis one, I think I'll order that one for next cycle in case
  • Becky012016Becky012016 member
    edited December 2016
    How are coverlines determined? I know I have a wide range of temps so will my (hopefully) post-o temps have to be above 97.7 for FF to give me crosshairs?
    Edit: spelling and sorry for the giant picture!

• edited December 2016
    Hey ladies :) question about temping- I wake up multiple times throughout the night (I'm a light sleeper plus I have a small bladder lol). The times I wake up are completely irregular so I can't plan around them. But they really screw w my temping- for example, this morning I woke up at 5am (my regular temp time is 7) by the time I fell back asleep it was probably 5:15. I worry about how that effects my temps since I've read you need at least 3-4 hours of consecutive sleep.

The example i gave is just an example, it could be 4am or 6am I wake up- so I can't just set my alarm earlier. I do fall back asleep quickly. 

It's messing with my mind this month in particular because I think I ovulated 3 days ago (pos test 4 days ago, right on time, and all neg tests since and now it's much later than I would normally O) but I've gotten some wonky temps that have worried me. 

How much do you think a brief waking and going to the bathroom session impacts temp, and any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

ETA: I've been doing some reading and I've found a few wearable bbt thermometers. They're pricey but they track your temp all night while you sleep. Anyone have any experience with these?

• @Becky012016. The CL is really just a visual guideline.  There's no absolute science to it specifically, so long as your pre-O temps are generally BELOW the CL, and post-O temps generally above.  In actuality, your CL really only need be higher than the previous 6 temps, not necessarily EVERY pre-O temp.  I'm thinking 97.7 is a bit higher than FF will place it.  Like actually 97.05 would mean you had your first temp above CL today!  You can try putting in a few hypothetical higher temps, just for fun, if you want a better guess as to what it MIGHT do, too. ;)
  • @businesswife; thank you so much! That's really helpful :) 
  • Thanks, @adirat I'm gonna keep at it but...yeah ☹️
    Dx PCOS May 2015
    Baby #1 due 12/7/17
  • So this is my chart it's terrible and I still don't have CH is think I ovulated Christmas Eve or Christmas Day based on my positive OPK.

• @eggplantface what causes the open circles?  I think I'm screwing this up lol 
  • Quick question since I can't seem to remember; is it 12 or 24 hours post sex before you can check CM again? TIA!
    **TW**
    Me: 30  DH:30
    Together 2003, Married 2011
    DD: July 2005
    BFP: 4/10/16, MC: 5/20/16
    BFP: 1/10/17, DD2: Sep 2017

TTGP Dec '16 siggy challenge winner!

• @eggplantface scratch that I just googled it and I'm positive it's bc my timing is different.   The holidays have allowed for me to sleep in once and a while so that's what is up I think 
  • @jillibean0871 open circles can also be caused by marking that you had been drinking (causes artificially high temps) or being sleep deprived.
    **TW**

• @ChefRamsay thank you!  I'll get the hang of this eventually :) 
  • No problem @jillibean0871! I've only been charting a few months so I'm still learning too. Hopefully we all get KU before we're pros at it  ;)
    **TW**

• @cheframsay; I'm pretty sure it's 12 hours to check cm. 
  • Thanks @Becky012016 I knew it was one of the two!
    **TW**

• I posted this in WTO but thought I would post here as well for better visibility.  I am starting OPKs today (CB digi, not advanced) and the instructions say to use it on a 4 hour hold.  Is there anyone who uses these that actually has that long of a hold?  If not, how long of a hold do you use (while still getting a positive)?  I really don't want to end up peeing myself on my drive home because of this but also don't want to resort to peeing in a take home styrofoam cup at work and take it home to dip the OPK in.

Thanks all for your help!

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
  • Thanks @eggplantface! I actually did that exact thing last night (great minds) and there was seriously a .4 degree jump from 4am to 7am :/ lol. I have concluded that I did in fact ovulate and it's just my earlier temping that is freaking me out. When I look at all my 7am temps this month there is a clear and sustained temp rise. I think maybe for me it's normal for my temp to get higher throughout the night for some reason.

@lulu1180 I have taken them and gotten pos results with less than 4 hours before, but I do try not to 

• @lulu1180 when I used to use them I would use them with FMU. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @lulu1180 I use a four hour hold bc otherwise it's too diluted for a trustworthy result (I'm working on one right now!). I stop drinking water to make sure I can make it four hours. I've done three hours too if I had to. If you can't make it four hours you just have to take a negative with a grain of salt. And I've used FMU like @wabash15 too. 

@bluejeanbabi05 My temp is higher at 7am than 5am too, so you're right to use the consistent time to see the shift. 
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• @jillibean0871

If you want more consistent temps, it definitely helps to temp very close to the same time each day, even on days you can sleep in. I temp at 5:30/5:45 on weekdays when I wake up for work, so on weekends I set my alarm for the same time, temp, jot it down, then go back to sleep for another few hours. If you're able to get back to sleep after temping, that's a good way of handling days you sleep in! Usually I have to pee around that time anyways :)
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/jen83mn">jen83mn</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">@jillibean0871

If you want more consistent temps, it definitely helps to temp very close to the same time each day, even on days you can sleep in. I temp at 5:30/5:45 on weekdays when I wake up for work, so on weekends I set my alarm for the same time, temp, jot it down, then go back to sleep for another few hours. If you're able to get back to sleep after temping, that's a good way of handling days you sleep in! Usually I have to pee around that time anyways :)
    </div>
    </blockquote>
    This.  All of this.
  • @jen83mn thank you and I'm definitely going to have to get more on top of it next cycle.  I get anxious about setting my alarm on weekends (I have a2 1/2 year old) so waking him up early on the weekends can make for a challenge through out the day with naps and life.   However I got a Fitbit for Christmas as the alarm vibrates to my watch soooo I think I can make this work bc it won't wake him 
  • @jen83mn Ha I fall asleep with my thermometer in all the time too.
    **TW**

• I second the Fitbit alarm! @LadyMeowMeow and @jillibean0871
  • Okay ladies - I definitely need some chart stalking this cycle. Do you think I ovulated? And if so, when? 

Here's the background:

Last week (CD11/12) DH and I were super sick. Like, in bed too weak to get up and eat sick. I figured it was no big deal (I usually O around CD20, so it wasn't going to affect the bigger picture). I also started a new job, and we had a few drinks after work Wednesday (the first day I was starting to recover), and then DH and I went out with friends on Thursday.

This week, I ended up getting a really nasty cold on Christmas Eve. I've been dealing with low grade fever (99-100), plus it's the holidays we we are having wine most evenings. In other words, by temps are pretty much worthless, because I don't know what is a natural shift v. drinking v. illness.

Between being sick and busy, I've been really lax at keeping hydrated, which I know affects my CM (we've been using PreSeed this cycle). So although I usually get EWCM, I have only had watery this week. 

The only concrete indicator was a positive OPK late in the day (around 5ish) on CD19. The one in the morning was negative, and by CD20 morning was back to negative again.