Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C Advice?

I am scheduled for a D&C tomorrow and was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect? we opted for the surgery rather than naturally mcing because of the holidays. Also, it feels better to have some control over the closure, as opposed to sitting and waiting. (We did enough of that between ultrasounds!) Basically, I'm just hoping for advice. About the procedure, about conceiving following a d&c, etc etc. Big thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Re: D&C Advice?

• I'm so sorry for your loss. I had a D&C two weeks ago at what should have been 10 weeks. I also chose to go that route because of the holidays, and also because my body hadn't figured it out when things had been wrong for weeks.

My my experience was that I bled heavily for 10-12 days, with the worst bleeding 7 days later. I passed a bunch of large clots and then the cramping and bleeding improved dramatically. Now I've been spotting for a few days, but my HCG is below threshold for home pregnancy tests, so I think I'll ovulate soon. 

I recommend taking time to heal physically the first few days, but don't expect the emotional healing to happen fast. Take as much time as you need to grieve. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I took a few days off work to recover physically and emotionally and bled for about 2 weeks. Try to have someone there to help take care of you too. During that time an ice pack really helped me, but with pain meds my pain was pretty well managed. For me, the hospital stay was short, 3hrs from the time I walked in to the time I was wheeled out. My AFs after were all over the place in regards to cycle length. My HCG went down in about a month. It was helpful for DH to have family there to support him too. I agree with PP and do what you can to take care of yourself! Hugs to you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry you're here.  My D&C was pretty "easy" (relatively speaking).  I never needed the pain meds (I had the prescription and had it filled, but the pain was never bad enough to need them).  I slept a lot for about two days; day three I took it easy but felt ok.  I was physically back to normal by day 4.  My bleeding lasted about the length of a normal period.  

I second its good to have someone to help take care of you, especially until you are feeling better and are back on your feet.  

As for conceiving afterwards, my Dr told me to wait a cycle (more for dating purposes than any other true medical need) and then I could start trying again.  
    Good luck tomorrow.  

** December BMB Siggy Challenge - Animals in Pools **

Me: 31+ H: 32
    TTC Since 11/2015
    #1 - MMC 6.5 weeks (2/16); #2 - MC due to cystic hygroma at 20 weeks (10/16); #3 CP (2/17); #4 - Due 12.16.17
  • For me the d and c was much easier than the process of miscarrying. I had started miscarrying and had 3 absolutely miserable days. The d and c was quick. I had very light bleeding for just a few days after. 
  • I am so sorry you find yourself here. I had a mmc 3 weeks ago (at 9w3d) and opted for a d&c. This was my first pregnancy. The d&c was very easy for me physically. I was in the hospital for a total of 3 hours and I never felt any pain or cramping afterward. I bled very lightly for 10 days but was pretty much back to normal after 24 hours. My HCG levels went down within 2 weeks. Best of luck to you.
  • I'm so sorry you're going through this. I had a d&c four weeks ago at what should have been 10 weeks. I had also had enough waiting between ultrasounds, and we were traveling for Thanksgiving. The surgery itself was fairly easy, the not eating for 24 hrs beforehand is what was hard for me because I felt SO sick, and ended up throwing up while waiting for anesthesia to come in. Then they put something in my IV that knocked me out. I felt fine after, never took anything for pain and had zero bleeding. It was almost like it had never even happened. It took four weeks for my hcg to go down, and after I got a negative test, two days later I got my period. So 4 weeks after the d&c. I hope it goes smoothly for you and that that was helpful.