August 2017 Moms

Remedies for a cold?!

Hi ladies! 
I have such terrible upper respiratory congestion going on. Sinuses are killing, cough, stuffed nose and the exhaustion is unbearable! 
I really don't want to take over the counter meds. 
What have you done to help heal faster from a virus? 
I hope this doesn't last long, I've been sick 4 days already. 
Thanks! 
Eat Sleep DanceimageBabyFruit Ticker BFP 12/10/2012 - Strong numbers and baby HB 169!

Re: Remedies for a cold?!

• I'm going through the same thing. I've been sick since Wednesday!! Staying home in bed/on the couch, Hydrasense for your nose, I have an organic cold rub for my chest and nice from The Honest Company my RE ok'd. OJ...honey&lemon tea - other than that we have to tough it out. Worst cold of my life. Showers really help with clearing my nose a bit...hope you feel better soon!! 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• @JWatt5 omg it totally is the worst cold ever!!! I almost feel like I have the flu. I read apple cider vinegar is safe/good. So I took a tablespoon of that earlier. I also used the nasal irrigator which helped a bit. Ugh!
    Eat Sleep DanceimageBabyFruit Ticker BFP 12/10/2012 - Strong numbers and baby HB 169!
  • Loading the player...
  • babydancer83babydancer83 member
    edited December 2016
    @Cait32 the coughing keeps me up at night too, hope you feel better too! 
  • I've been using vicks on DD and I. Cough drops and orange juice and being miserable. It's been a week now and I'm starting to feel like a human again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would suggest a neti pot, saline spray, sleeping elevated, and having a humidifier going to help with cold symptoms.  These things have helped me with the cold I have had.
    Married 5/21/2011
    DD 1 10/2012
    CP 9/2013
    DD 2 6/2014
    CP 3/2016        
     BFP 12/8/2016        
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I second saline spray!  Good luck, i just got over my cold!
  • Thanks ladies! Been a brutal one. The humidifier at night def helps 
  • I was so miserable and it wasn't going away after almost a week. So I went to the Dr. I had an awful sinus infection. I'm on antibiotics now and almost 10 days later I'm starting to feel better
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was sick all the time at the end of my second pregnancy/maternity leave with #2. My acupuncturist is also a herbalist and had been recommending eating garlic and drinking fire cider and I finally got so desperate I tried it. Eating garlic has been a game changer - if you Google "eating garlic for a cold" a lot of good info comes up. It is almost a natural antibiotic. I take a clove of garlic (chopped then swallowed like medicine) and a tablespoon of fire cider twice a day and have been a lot less sick than the rest of my fam! 

DD#1: 5/29/12

DD#2: 1/14/15

Baby #3 on the way due 8/19/17

• I'm worried I'm getting sick. My throat has felt irritated today, and I can see that one of my tonsils is getting big. Could be allergies, but I'm worried. For throat issues my mom always told me to gargle:
    1. Warm salt water
    2. Warm water with a few drops of Tabasco
    3. Apple cider vinegar
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Yes! I have been doing it up with the apple cider vinegar!! Is t weird that I love the taste of it right now?! Lol 
  • I'm about to try all these suggestions! I have a really sore throat and the dr. verified it isn't strep. Raw garlic here I come!

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Mango517 and @Feliciosity if you have other cold symptoms with a sore throat, you might be getting a lot of postnasal drainage down the throat. I would second the saline spray mentioned above to attack the nasal congestion and reduce the throat irritation. I'm not sure if nasacort is ok during pregnancy, but that would help too. Nothing is actually proven to shorten the duration of colds since they are caused by viruses, so just have to wait it out up to 2 weeks. :-/ I am supposed to work a couple urgent care shifts in the next few months but really debating now that I'm pregnant if being exposed to all the germs is even worth it!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers