July 2017 Moms

PGAL Check-In, 12/12

2»

Re: PGAL Check-In, 12/12

• ladipale said:
    @SPurp13 - I'm glad you posted here too. I wanted to respond in other check in but haven't had a chance. What you are feeling is totally  normal. You are trying to protect yourself from heartbreak. Go to the OB appt, but tell him/her how you are feeling. Hopefully your doctor is receptive to your concerns and mental health. I would also suggest some type of counseling if you don't already do that. Its so helpful to have another set of ears to listen and provide advice. ::: Hugs ::: 
    Oh, I've been seeing a therapist since before my daughter was even born. I'm prone to depression (dysthymia, anxiety, OCD (really only the obsessive)). I started getting PPD before she was even born (the last month was awful. My birth was awful. I was very close to suicide. With medication (that I'm still on), my therapist, and an AMAZING husband, I'm here. Honestly, going through the miscarriage wasn't as bad as my daughter's birth--the PPD was AWFUL.

I haven't seen my OB yet (first appointment Thursday), but I'm going to say all of these things to her. She's pulled strings before but this isn't her policy...it's the hospital, and I don't know that she can do anything. I'll definitely ask...
      ****TW: Pregnancy, loss and children mentioned****
    Me: 35  DH: 38  |  Married: 6/2013  |  Pregnancy #1, APurp born 10/2014
    Pregnancy #2, BFP 6/4/2016, MMC at 9W, D&E: 7/21/16 | Pregnancy #3, BFP 11/22/16

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Cravings Ticker 
  • @spurp13 PGAL brain is cruel.  I think I would be safe to say that we all find ourselves in this state of mind some days.  Ultrasounds are always a source of stress.  I am so sorry you can't  take anyone in with you.  At mine they do the initial exam with just me in there and then bring in DH before they say anything.  I couldn't imagine doing it all alone.  I know it's cliche to say but try to enjoy every day knowing that you aren't pregnant today.  I know that one of the thoughts that got me through my loss was knowing that that baby knew nothing but love and excitement.  Finding someone to really talk things out with, either someone that has been through something similar or a professional may help to.  Like @caribbeanmama said, the power of distraction is a wonderful tool as well. I hope Thursday brings some relief... the wait is the worst.
    Yes, that's what they do at mine--they do the initial scan with me in there alone, then bring him in. But when I lost the baby, they didn't bother having him come back, that's how I knew, and I don't know if I can even set foot in there alone this time.
    Pregnancy #2, BFP 6/4/2016, MMC at 9W, D&E: 7/21/16 | Pregnancy #3, BFP 11/22/16

Cravings Ticker 
  • Loading the player...
  • @spurp13 If they call you back and ask for you to come alone I would ask the tech, once your in the room, before the scan starts.  Just tell her your history and say it would make you more comfortable if He was in there holding your hand.  He can sit in a way where he can't  see the screen while they do the initial scan.  I would imagine, or at the very least hope, that the tech you have has enough compassion to do that for you.  
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• @spurp13 If they call you back and ask for you to come alone I would ask the tech, once your in the room, before the scan starts.  Just tell her your history and say it would make you more comfortable if He was in there holding your hand.  He can sit in a way where he can't  see the screen while they do the initial scan.  I would imagine, or at the very least hope, that the tech you have has enough compassion to do that for you.  
    I tried that when we had our confirmation scan. I said "I know the baby is dead, can my husband just come in here," and she said no. She was incredibly empathetic, she cried with me, told me she just lost a baby 2 months prior (imagine her pain--seeing both women with healthy babies and without every single day), but the techs just fear the hospital's policy, and they need their jobs just like I do, I guess. 

Cravings Ticker 
  • Let's all do a little intro, as a reminder and for those that weren't around when we did the first time! DH and I have been TCC since November of 2015 and I experienced a miscarriage at 6 weeks during the month of July.

How far along are you? 9 weeks! 

How are you doing? I'm doing okay.  This pregnancy has been wildly different than my other three.  I am tired ALL the time, incredibly nauseous, and pretty emotional.  My biggest thing is I am having a hard time grasping the future.  I can only stay in the here and now.  I am so worried all the time. Every time I go to the bathroom I'm scared I will see blood.  Every time I get a simple stomach pain, I'm afraid it's over.  It's been super hard.

When is your next appointment? Next Wednesday :).

Rant/Rave/Positive Vibes: As I stated above, I am super tired.  I'm a high school teacher and a mom of two, so I am so ready for holiday break!

GTKY: If you could live anywhere and money was no object, where would you live?  I would probably live in the same area I do now.  I live near family and that is very important to me.  But we would definitely have a much bigger house!!
  • Let's all do a little intro, as a reminder and for those that weren't around when we did the first time! I've been TTC since 2014 and had a natural mc with my first IVF FET at 8w2d in July of this year. 

How far along are you? 10w4d

How are you doing? Ok. I had a bit of a bleeding scare on Sunday, but it was while we were having sex and it stopped immediately after, so I'm trying to be rational about it. I go in for some blood work today, so I will mention it to the nurse then. I'm planning on surprising my parents at Christmas and all I can think about it is everything going bad after I tell them.

When is your next appointment? Not till Jan 3!

Rant/Rave/Positive Vibes:  I have lost all motivation at work, I am also ready for the holidays!

GTKY: If you could live anywhere and money was no object, where would you live?  I currently live in NYC, so maybe a townhouse here in the city and also have a place in Europe and something on the beach! 
  • Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I think this thread is definitely going to be where I stay for the most part for first tri. We're all in the same place, unfortunately.

As an update, I've been feeling kind of blah (kind of sick to my stomach, burpy, blah), but never like...throwing up. Never did with either pregnancy. But...isn't what they tell pregnant ladies to take when they are sick 1st try Unisom and B vitamin? I regularly take both every night. Could that be "fixing" my morning sickness even before it starts, so that's why I'm not having that "symptom?"

I'm obviously just grasping at anything, like most of us in here. It's crazy--we all WANT the symptoms, because they suck, but they are reassuring.

Cravings Ticker 
  • @ladipale I'm in mechanical.  I don't know how people have a baby while on tenure track - crazy!  We have one lecturer in our department who is on a multi year contract but it took a while to get there and he had couple faculty advocates to champion his case. I've never understood why lecturers and adjunct faculty were on such short term contracts.
  • @spurp13 I'm so sorry the hospital is so strict on their rules.  Maybe just make it clear that until your H is in there with you you don't want to hear a word.  Keep us updated after your scan.

So my superstition has got the best of me... my husband took an extra job for the holidays (completely screwing up all plans that we has for the holidays) and my first official ultrasound was supposed to be while he was away.  I pushed it back a few days (and by doing that now have to drive over an hour to go) so that he could come.  When I was pregnant with my son he was out of town when I had bleeding and then I was out of town for when my miscarriage began, and then he was gone once I got home.  I've seen a heartbeat with a bedside ultrasound at my last apt but am still terrified something is going to go wrong and he won't be here again.  I've seen a heartbeat, feel like garbage, my midsection seems to be erupting already and I can't quite shake the bad feelings.  PGAL brain can F off...

• How far along are you? 
    10 weeks

How are you doing? 
    Pretty good! 

When is your next appointment? 
    Jan. 4, graduated from RE and going to meet my OB

Rant/Rave/Positive Vibes:
    Guise I am 10 weeks. This is  a loss milestone for me, as my MMC was found just before 10 weeks last time. I have not been around for a few weeks due to some pretty gnarly all-day morning sickness, but today I feel a lot better. Which reminds me I need to take my Diclectin! 

GTKY: If you could live anywhere and money was no object, where would you live
    Lake Como! haha I would take my helicopter to all the neighbouring major cities and my Jet back to North America for holidays. Me and George and Amal could hang. 

EDD: 13/07/2017
    PAIF/PgAL
  • A little update - I thought my appointment yesterday was just NIPT blood work, but they wanted to do an ultrasound before hand and I was like, yes!  Saw the bean again and all is still looking good. :-) I slept so well last night. 

@SPurp13  Best of luck at your scan today!  It sucks about your DH not being able to be in the room during. 
  • @spurp13 Hooray!  So happy you got good news and even happier that they made sure your H was there with you to find out!  

• @SPurp13 YESSSSSSS!!!!!! So happy for you!!!
    TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • Yay, got to see the little one today!  Squirming around and adorable already, such a relief:)
    BabyGaga

BabyGaga
  • @spurp13 - hooray! such great news!

@caribbeanmama - i teach lots of mechanicals because I teach statics... love that class. we completely revamped the curriculum last year to include tons of hands on activities and its such a fun one to teach.

@MrsN092714 - i feel you on the superstition stuff. I get like that too. I'm nearing the date a year ago when I found out I was pregnant and I'm beginning to feel all kinds of silly negative things.... 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Thank you guys! Now, maybe I can get comfortable sticking around here a little more...

Cravings Ticker 
  • So...I'm a little deflated. I had worked myself up to the idea of telling people on Christmas that we were expecting, especially after seeing the heartbeat yesterday...but, I sent a message to my husband's cousin, just saying, you know, we're pregnant, would people be upset if we lost the baby, and she kind of hemmed and hawed and said I should wait.

We waited last time, and several of them don't even know I lost the baby. We had to suffer alone. I was pretty sold on telling family first, then waiting until January 11th (after the M21 testing) for the IRL people. But, now I'm second guessing again. If I lost this baby, too, I feel like it would be nice to have family at least KNOW what's going on this time, but...I don't know. It feels shitty to have to worry about someone ELSE's feelings when mine would be the most impacted.

(XP to Aug17)

Cravings Ticker 
  • @SPurp13 based on what you wrote, it sounds like you are ready to share the news! I say go for it. Tell the people you'd want support from in case. Suffering alone isn't nice nor necessary imo. But chances are things will work out - I know it's not easy to believe after what we've all been through here but I try to. 
    You do you girl. Try not to put stock into what someone else says about what you should do. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @SPurp13 I agree with @irishrose54! Tell whoever you want to tell. Honestly, when I had my loss, I wound up telling more people about that than the pregnancy and I wish they'd gotten to share in the happy part before the sad part.
    TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • supermom83supermom83 member
    edited December 2016
    This thread is for July moms who have previously suffered a loss (miscarriage, stillbirth, etc).

Let's all do a little intro, as a reminder and for those that weren't around when we did the first time!  I'm 33 years old, mom to 2 boys ages 8 and 5. I had a twin loss in 2010, it was the pregnancy in between both kids, so I do have my rainbow baby and hope to have one more! Lost the twins due to a genetic issue. It was a surprise identical twin pregnancy, both babies shared a placenta and a sac, one baby had Anacepholy (absence of a skull) and died in utero at 14 weeks, which effected the other twin and led to a loss at 15 almost 16 weeks. Got a D&C and was able to get pregnant 6 months after this traumatic loss. 

How far along are you? 
     Currently I'm 8w3ds I think! I'm not sure of my dates but this is what I was measuring last ultrasound. 
    How are you doing? 
    I'm having a somewhat rough time believing this pregnancy will last. I'm just doom and gloom over here, but trying my best to stay optimistic. 
    Next appointment is January 3rd. I just had an appointment this week and we were able to see a heartbeat so that really helped my worry! 
    I can't think of any right now
    GTKY: If you could live anywhere and money was no object, where would you live?
    London!!!! I loved it so so much when we went to visit a few years ago. It was so much fun traveling with the kids and it was so easy. I'd move there in a heartbeat! A very close second is Portugal! We visited in April, and it was so amazing, the kids didn't want to come back! DH and I even started thinking we may want to retire there! My sons still talk about Portugal and how much they miss it. 

Edit: I had my loss is 2010 not 2011. I had my rainbow baby in 2011. Pregnancy brain. 
  • @SPurp13 - I agree with others that telling people is helpful. I ended up telling people after the fact as well and so this time we've told all our close family and friends.. only our co-workers still don't know.
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • leilac said:
    @SPurp13 I agree with @irishrose54! Tell whoever you want to tell. Honestly, when I had my loss, I wound up telling more people about that than the pregnancy and I wish they'd gotten to share in the happy part before the sad part.
    This is exactly how I feel, and I was prepared to go with it (family first, then wait for co-workers/others until the scan in January) until that family member cautioned me against it.

Cravings Ticker 
  • pgal brain is getting to me right now. I've been cramping all day today and I'm really spooked. No bleeding and it's not the same type of cramping I've had w my loss, but still. 
    Is it normal at 10weeks? I haven't had any up until now. I go in Monday so hopefully things will be ok! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @irishrose54 I had the same a few days ago.  I spent most of the day cramping on and off and haven't had it since.  Still no bleeding.  It's probably just things stretching out!  That lil babe is taking up more room these days.  Of coarse every twinge makes us question everything but remember cramping is normal.  If it doesn't stop or you see red then, yes, get checked out.  Put your feet up and have a hot drink and see if it helps.

@spurp13 Tell people.  Your ready, how one person feels about you sharing the news should have no impact.  It's your life, your healthy little heart-beatin baby and you deserve to have people excited with you.  It may even help to put a positve spin on it and make it feel more real for you.  You deserve to have people excited for you.

• Let's all do a little intro, as a reminder and for those that weren't around when we did the first time!
    DH and I are mid-30s and I have PCOS.  I had a missed mc in July (baby measured 9w2d, I was almost 12w based on lmp), that was eventually able to pass naturally.

How far along are you?
    10w1d

How are you doing? 
    physically ok -- intermittent nausea with dry heaving most mornings after I brush my teeth; some fatigue but getting better; a few other tummy issues.  Mentally, super anxious - questioning every twinge and overthinking every symptom.

Next Thursday.  It's been two weeks since my last scan and I am going crazy waiting!

DH has been a rockstar, taking on most of the cooking and cleaning so that I can rest.

GTKY: If you could live anywhere and money was no object, where would you live?
    I grew up outside of Denver and would love to move back.
  • @SPurp13 I agree with the others - sounds like you are ready to tell.  You shouldn't have had to suffer in isolation before.  Persons who don't tell typically would not be comforted by others knowing what they are going through.  Your case sounds like you would have welcomed that support - so get your network on board.  It may also boost your excitement to feed off others excitement too!  (I'm also not sure I understand why you asked your cousin if other family members would be upset if you had a loss.  Being upset is normal - you can't protect others from that - and in that case how you are feeling would supercede all others in my opinion.)

@irishrose54 I too had the dull low achy feeling -nerve wracking!  My midwife told me to drink 16 ounces of water and take it easy.  Things are starting to move around and grow so it's likely normal.
  • @MrsN092714 & @caribbeanmama. Thank you for the reassurance. The cramping has not totally stopped but it is more of a dull achey sensation at this point so I'm hoping It's just things stretching out. Will keep you updated! 

Pregnancy Ticker