July 2017 Moms

Tips to manage hormones/mood swings

I'm having a hell of a time managing my hormonal mood swings and I'm not being fair to DH or DD. I'm worried that this is only going to get worse - my post partum anxiety and hormones were off the chain and I cannot go back to that again.

I'm under a lot of stress at work right now and my u/s appointment is tomorrow and I feel like it could go either way easily...I know a lot of it is stress and anxiety, but I'd love to hear your coping mechanisms... bonus if you're still in the throes of 1st trimester and can barely get out of the house on weekends. (I dont have m/s, I am just soooo tired and can't muster up any energy right now) 

Re: Tips to manage hormones/mood swings

• I hope you can find something to help you cope. This honestly should probably be something you talk to your OB about. That way he/she can get you meds or whatever.
  • I have this issue. Trying to work on this by actively seeking out positive, uplifting "input" i.e. Books, movies etc ... telling myself what I'm grateful for every day...making myself look for the positive "spin" of every new thing that comes up to drive me crazy. actively turn negative thoughts into positive thoughts. 
    Last week's example:
    "poor me, I have to work so hard and such long hours while pregnant and my attending is crazy and is basically not checking my work and it's too much responsibility"

turned it into this:
    "it's great that I will be done with this really tough fellowship when the baby is born, and I'm so lucky, learning so much this week, and this attending is so hands off that I really am learning to function independently"

...just started doing this so jury's still out on whether it'll work...
  • Loading the player...
  • I have done some meditation. I listen to apps and online meditation. I'm working on finding a favorite. I do it after ds goes to bed. I rely on dh to listen for ds and totally focus on myself. Once you have kids it's like you are constantly on. You have to work and deal with people there. Then come home and really you have to listen for them all night and wake up if they cry or get up. You never truely relax. 

Oh and I also keep reminding myself that my body was made to birth children. It knows what to do and will do it. There are lists on Pinterest that I've just adapted to fit my needs. 
  • edited December 2016
    I'm sorry you're having a hard time @satsumasandlemons I don't have any advice, but I second what @ashaw512 said about talking to your ob. Good luck, and remember you're having a baby and that's something to be excited about :)

Eta spelling
  • @mj8215 That's a great tip I'll work on that! 

• @ashaw512 @pumpkin0913 yeah, definitely asking my ob/gyn tomorrow - kind of expecting a sympathetic nod and not much else from her, which is what I got last time, too... which is also why I have an appt to meet with another ob/gyn!