NIPT - questions, discussion, results - Page 3 — The Bump
July 2017 Moms

NIPT - questions, discussion, results

Re: NIPT - questions, discussion, results

• lph4248 I did both and the site and guy on the phone gave the same number. I suspect that it's not accurate because everything we're doing is also in-network at a single center, so we'll just get it done and see what the bill is. We'll cover it either way because it's super important to us! Scheduled for 12/28 at 12+4, our clinic always does it same day as NT scan along with genetic counseling so they said to plan on 2-2.5 hours there.

• Me too! Scheduled for NIPT on 12/27, good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • I am doing all tests.  Even if the NT/NIPT come back fine. I'm 36. 2 dd had congenital defects. Nothing is scarier than having a sick newborn.if a simple test will tell them she doesn't have cf, that's one less box to be checked for the surgeon to focus on real scenarios/theories. Plus, I would have to travel out of state to deliver.  
    virginiaunicorn11
  • @BabyBuckWay which test did you do? I did Panorama last Monday, and I know I'll hear this week, but I've been obsessively logging into their patient portal...ha!
    [spoiler]
    DSS 03/2006
    DD 07/2017
    DS EDD: 1/30/19
    [/spoiler]
    ericandmaria
  • @cait32 Whoops. I meant to mention that.  I did panorama as well!!

TTC since April 2015- low AMH, low Morphology
    Clomid~ Feb2016-Apr2016, BFN x 3
    Natural ovulation IUI June2016, BFN
    IVF #1 08/26/2016- 4 eggs mature, 4 fertilized normally, 1 made it to transfer
    Fresh Transfer 08/31/2016, BFP.. Miscarriage 17dp5dt
    IVF results were hard to handle, wanted to attempt IUI a few more times
    Medicated IUI (Gonal-F, Ovidrel trigger) Oct2016
    BFP 10/20/2016!!!! Beta 1 (10dpiui) 16.9: Beta 2 (11dpiui) 42.23: Beta 3 (14dpiui) 282

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @BabyBuckWay awesome! I did mine on 12/12 in the afternoon. They received it on the 14th and I have all my info for the patient portal login, so I don't have to wait for them to send it to my doctor. Hoping maybe tomorrow (or even today if I'm really lucky!). So hopeful that I get the clean bill of health (and obviously will be excited about gender). My money is on girl, but who knows.

[spoiler]
    DSS 03/2006
    DD 07/2017
    [/spoiler]
    BabyBuckWay
  • I'm a bit confused on this stuff, and I think I'm going to have to call my doctor again about it, but I'm getting a blood test done for trisomy 13, 18, and 21.... is that the same as any of these other tests? Also, will it be three different bloos draws? Also, is there going to be another ultrasound? I would love to see my little bean again, but I'm not sure I am getting another ultrasound. Is there always an ultrasound with these screenings? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    DS born: July 8th, 2017
    Baby #2 Due: July 2nd, 2019 
    (we clearly have a problem with the month of July)
  • @kerils I think that might be the quad screening,which is similar but multiple blood draws and I think an NT scan? I'm not positive though so others might have more info...
    [spoiler]
    DSS 03/2006
    DD 07/2017
    [/spoiler]
  • kerils said:
    I'm a bit confused on this stuff, and I think I'm going to have to call my doctor again about it, but I'm getting a blood test done for trisomy 13, 18, and 21.... is that the same as any of these other tests? Also, will it be three different bloos draws? Also, is there going to be another ultrasound? I would love to see my little bean again, but I'm not sure I am getting another ultrasound. Is there always an ultrasound with these screenings? 
    I think you are getting what they call a sequential screening. It's a blood draw at 11-14 weeks, a NT scan and a second blood draw at 15 -18 weeks. 
    Lilypie - (FR0w)
  • @kerils what you are getting done does screen for those defects but many of the ladies here are getting a test of free-cell fetal DNA in the mother's blood.  That genetic test is typically materni21 or panorama and considered more accurate than the standard first trimester blood screen.  In that test they can also see if baby has an x or Y chromosome hence the added bonus of finding out the sex.  This additional test is usually recommended for older mamas (like me) or those prone to a genetic problem given their family history.  Your first trimester test is a maternal blood screen of proteins etc. and not of fetal DNA.  It should be one blood draw.  I'm guessing you also have the nuchal translucency test accompanying the first trimester screen, right?  (That is the way it is scheduled at my doctor's office.)
  • Big Fail - I have my NT appointment tomorrow at 8:30 am. I can't remember if they wanted me to drink water before hand (or how much). Just called to check and the office is closed and doesn't reopen until 8:20 am. Were others told to drink water??
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Rae1 said:
    Big Fail - I have my NT appointment tomorrow at 8:30 am. I can't remember if they wanted me to drink water before hand (or how much). Just called to check and the office is closed and doesn't reopen until 8:20 am. Were others told to drink water??
    I went in with a full bladder. I asked if I should pee first and the tech said said lets see where the baby is first. I ended up doing the whole thing with the full bladder.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @glitterfish Well that sounds miserable. How long was your appointment? Does the doctor there give your results at the appointment or did you have to wait?
  • @rae1 It wasnt terrible, maybe 30 min. I was worried bc I thpught there would be more pressure from the US wand but there wasnt. The tech didnt give me any results, I had an appointment with my OB right after and she gave them to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • @Rae1 I was told at my appointment yesterday that I needed to have a full bladder for my down's screen ultrasound. Not sure if that is helpful or not.
  • Had my NT scan this morning. Everything looks great and the doc said we 'passed' the ultrasound portion. I had my blood drawn after so we have to wait for those results, but so far so good!

pepper16-2virginiaunicorn11manillabarsupermom83
  • So glad to hear all these positive results and @Cait32 congrats on the GIRL!!!!! SO EXCITING!!!!!!!!
    Me: 28 I MH: 27
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
    cait32manillabar
  • @cait32 yay for good results and yay team pink!

@mslynn2012 yay for good results! How on earth could you resist finding out!?!? I mean you know they know!!!

@Rae1 glad your ultrasound went well!  

I had mine yesterday too (NT scan) - everything looked normal and it was just so great to see baby for so long!
    manillabar
  • Yay congrats @Cait32 and @mslynn2012 !!!
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• @cait32 ; you have great "Mother's intuition!"  Congratulations on your baby girl!!

TTC since April 2015- low AMH, low Morphology
    Clomid~ Feb2016-Apr2016, BFN x 3
    Natural ovulation IUI June2016, BFN
    IVF #1 08/26/2016- 4 eggs mature, 4 fertilized normally, 1 made it to transfer
    Fresh Transfer 08/31/2016, BFP.. Miscarriage 17dp5dt
    IVF results were hard to handle, wanted to attempt IUI a few more times
    Medicated IUI (Gonal-F, Ovidrel trigger) Oct2016
    BFP 10/20/2016!!!! Beta 1 (10dpiui) 16.9: Beta 2 (11dpiui) 42.23: Beta 3 (14dpiui) 282

BabyFruit Ticker
  • congratulations, @Cait32  and @mslynn2012
    Cait, I just went back to the OWT post and saw that mother's intuition was right for you! I don't know anything about being a mom to a boy, but I can say with 100% certainty that you and @caribbeanmama will have so much fun being a mom to a girl! 
    caribbeanmama-2
  • I love that, @Cait32, same school of thought over here, too. Although for our little family, I had to learn that very girly and very princessy can be feminist, too! It was a hard lesson for me, personally, ha. 
    cait32BabyBuckWayvirginiaunicorn11Itsnotyourturn
  • @satsumasandlemons totally! I just want to shower her with compliments about how smart she is...not just how beautiful :) I will push my family on this one

[spoiler]
    DSS 03/2006
    DD 07/2017
    [/spoiler]
    BabyBuckWaysatsumasandlemonscaribbeanmama-2
  • @Cait32 that's a great attitude about it. If you're not into the girly stuff, definitely don't feel like you have to go pink and princess everywhere. I'm definitely not like this--my daughters room is navy blue and orange and 99% of her wardrobe has no pink whatsoever. She has no princess crap anywhere. If she gets older and wants that nonsense I won't say no lol. But for now, she's not complaining! 

Congrats on a healthy baby boy @mamadcb !

mamadcb
  • @caribbeanmama not gonna lie, I was kinda hoping the email would include the sex chromosomes, but she remembered our request yay/boo. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

cait32virginiaunicorn11manillabar
  • @Cait32 yay!  A girl!  Congrats, congrats.  Thanks to your info and research I have my patient portal now too.  I hope they have my results soon as well!

• @Cait32 ygpm!

Me: 33 DH: 33

Married: 6.9.12
    DS born: 4.9.14
    DD born 7.27.17

cait32
  • After all my back and forth agonizing on the topic, I ended up doing the mat21 today... results in 5-10 days I'm told.
    looks like everyone in our group got back good results so far, congratulations to all of you and hope it stays this way for all of us!!
    cait32GeorgiaWife6912glitterfish-2pepper16-2
  • Congrats @lph4248 ! Yes anatomy scan would be much more informative as far as any physical development issues. 

lph4248caribbeanmama-2
  • Katie______Katie______
    100 Comments 25 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    Hey. My appt is the 27th too as some others. How did you all know if you were getting gender too? My doc referenced some test specifically for gender (she said I could do it but she didn't suggest since I'm older aka 33 and that makes it less accurate?), but I have blood and ultrasound tests for downs (they already took the blood from my finger onto a little card)...Not sure which it is. It's a test I have to get done at a hospital because my doc doesn't do either part. Thanks :)
  • Hey. My appt is the 27th too as some others. How did you all know if you were getting gender too? My doc referenced some test specifically for gender (she said I could do it but she didn't suggest since I'm older aka 33 and that makes it less accurate?), but I have blood and ultrasound tests for downs (they already took the blood from my finger onto a little card)...Not sure which it is. It's a test I have to get done at a hospital because my doc doesn't do either part. Thanks :)
    Regarding your first question, I'm personally not aware of any "test for gender" that has a test accuracy that varies with maternal age. The only non invasive test that can provide information on the baby's sex is the cell free fetal DNA test (blood draw, usually after 10 weeks, commonly used brands are maternit21 and panorama) but I don't see how that could possibly be age dependent. If anyone can chime in I'd be curious. 

The tests you have scheduled sound like nuchal translucency ultrasound (has to be done by certified sonographer therefore often performed at a hospital not at your OB's office) in combination with a blood test that measures specific markers in your blood that can indicate abnormalities such as trisomy21 (hcg, afp, pappa...)

The nuchal translucency ultrasound is fairly routine and generally recommended to everyone (although you can choose to decline); the cell free fetal DNA testing is fairly new, and not routinely recommended to everyone although many people choose to do it (I posted some background on it from ACOG somewhere in the beginning of this thread).

Hope this clarifies things! 
    caribbeanmama-2
  • Thank you soooo much for clarifying it all. I so much appreciate it and it makes so much more sense. Sorry for all my confusion.