July 2017 Moms

NIPT - questions, discussion, results

Re: NIPT - questions, discussion, results

• @MrsN092714 The fact that people refuse it blows my mind. But a doctor not giving it is a whole new level. Heck, my husband asked our PCP if he should have his blood tested (thinking I could avoid the shot if he's also negative) and they told him it doesn't matter - there's a high enough risk so I'll get it no matter what. 

I'm typically not a big fan of medicine (heck, I got my first flu shot ever this year because I'm ku) but rhogam is a no brainer. I hope you are either working with a new doctor, or that the last one is now doing his job!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating since: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC since: 09/2016
    *TW BFP 11/16/2016 EDD 07/27/2017

• I just found out my hospital offers Materni21 (Sequenom), not Panorama (Natera). You can estimate your out-of-pocket cost on the website: www.sequenom.com/everymom

My estimate is miraculously $0 even though I am not high risk. This seems too good to be true, but I booked my appointment!

• @RunRestRepeat I am also O-neg and they told us the same thing - apparently even if his blood type registers as negative, it could be a "little bit positive," so they recommend the shot no matter what. Turns out, he IS positive. I hate needles, but the only way I wouldn't get the shot now is if they determined that the baby's blood type was negative through an additional test.

RunRestRepeat
  • krys-2krys-2 member
    500 Love Its 100 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    My OB uses progenity for NIPT. They have verifi which screens for Trisomy 21, 18, and 13, along with Turner Syndrome, Klinefelter Syndrome, and XYY or XXX (and gives the sex). They also have ntxPanel, which does the carrier screening for Cystic Fibrosis, Spinal Muscular Atrophy, and Fragile X. Both would be covered fully for me (based on my age and insurance), but their negotiated rate is $90 if it wasn't covered for you. 

That said, since they're already covered for me, I will be having them at my next visit on the 4th. At this point, and at no cost, I don't see any reason not to have them run.
    Me: 34 | DH: 35  
    Met: 2003
    Married: 2005
    TTC #1: May 2016
  • Just did my panorama today--hoping for results by Christmas so we can announce that we're low risk too!
    Me: 33 Him: 45
    DSS: 10yo
    TTC#1: 8/2016
    BFP#1: 10/31
    EDD: 7/12/17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • **lurking from June 2017** For those on the fence about the testing I totally recommend it.  I had the carrier testing, NT scan and NIPT.  I'm older so they were covered for me.  My test came back indicating my daughter might have Turner Syndrome.  I have an amniocentesis scheduled for this upcoming week to definitively determine yes or no.  If you are on the fence I would do it. 
    GlitterFishGeorgiaWife6912Xath
  • chamomile-2chamomile-2 member
    500 Love Its 100 Comments Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    Anyone in Massachusetts get an estimate for Maternit21 yet? My insurance (BCBS) is usually great about covering things and I'm AMA at 35, but Sequenom is estimating a $300 copay which surprised me. I'll pay it if that's what has to happen, but according to online stories they negotiate the full OOP payment for women without coverage down to $235, which is a lot less than my copay!

• Chamomile said:
    Anyone in Massachusetts get an estimate for Maternit21 yet? My insurance (BCBS) is usually great about covering things and I'm AMA at 35, but Sequenom is estimating a $300 copay which surprised me. I'll pay it if that's what has to happen, but according to online stories they negotiate the full OOP payment for women without coverage down to $235, which is a lot less than my copay!
    I just got one in NY and ut said $0-320... I just assumed because they have no way to know about my deductible?
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • I did the blood-draw for NIPT last week and am awaiting results this week (the hospital uses Materni21).  I have the NT scan scheduled for next week.  Both were covered by insurance last time because I am over 35.  Typically, the first trimester screening is offered along with the NT scan for at risk moms (mine is by age) or you can have the Materni21 test.  Since I opted for Materni21, they canceled the FTS but allowed me to keep the NT scan - I feel like together they cover the screening bases.
  • I'm in nyc and was quoted 200 out of pocket.

• So... has anyone scheduled and/or taken their NIPT yet? Anyone received their results? Is this the thread we'll all post to? 

I'm going in for my test the last week of December. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Me: 36  Him: 39
    Dating: 2001 Married: 2007

BFP #1: 01/01/11 DD: 5 yo 
    BFP #2: 11/08/17  EDD: 7/25/17

• I scheduled mine for January 6. I'll be 12+6 which I feel like is on the later side, especially since I did mine almost 10 days sooner with DD. maybe I need to stop comparing, but the Christmas and new year holiday closings are making it hard to schedule my MFM and OB appointments. I would just rather do the NT and anatomy scans on the earlier side to give me time to make any decisions after if need be (additional time sensitive testing, etc). 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @satsumasandlemons I took mine yesterday! I also had my NT scan which was supposedly fine.
    I'm supposed to hear back in 10-14 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
    satsumasandlemons
  • Mine is scheduled for the 30th. I'll be in the later side as well, @dancegurl1118, also at 12+6. Honestly, I'd prefer not to do the testing at all, but with twins, my doctor strongly recommended it. So, I sincerely hope everything looks good, because I honestly don't know what I would do with bad news, as I'm not really willing to risk miscarriage through more invasive testing. I'm just trying to focus on the fact that it will be the first time my husband will be able to see the babies.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Baby due 8 July, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    GeorgiaWife6912
  • @satsumasandlemons I mentioned it above so you may have seen but I did my panorama on Monday and it sounds like most people are getting results through their patient portal in 7 business days or so. I have a code I can log into their site with, so I don't have to wait for my doctor.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    satsumasandlemonsericandmaria
  • I work in insurance so what happens is, they give significant discounts to "self pay" patients. Sometimes women will get a bill (even when their insuranc3 covers it and they only have a copay) that says the GROSS charge  (upwards of $3,000) this is also inaccurate because insurance companies and Labs have "negotiated rates" in which they are actually reimbursed. So never freak out if you get a really high bill! It's likely gross charges and adjustments aren't reflected 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    lph4248
  • Ugh just got off the phone with insurance and want to scream. My patient coordinator in addition to the testing 5 digit codes gave me a diagnostic code for genetic history of Down syndrome to use to see if it would be covered under insurance since DHs aunt had Down syndrome. Well the guy did not understand and only wanted the 5 digit and I kept saying they won't be covered the point was to see if the diagnostic code would make a difference and he said I could do it and then contest it and I said the point of me calling before was to avoid that because we cannot afford to do the test otherwise. So likely I am canceling the test because we can't afford to possibly have to pay it and insurance can suck it I have never not been frustrated when having to deal with insurance. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I did my Panorama blood work yesterday and they said I should get the results before Christmas. I did not get a code, so I'll have to wait on the doc's office. 
    **tw**
    Me: 33 PCOS, DH: 32

TTC since spring 2014
    IUI #1-3, Dec 2015 - Feb 2016, BFN
    IVF #1, Feb 29 2016, ER 3/12/16, 2 PGS normal
    FET #1: June 17, Beta: June 30, BFP! 480, MC 8w2d
    FET #2: Sep13, BFN
    Unexpected natural BFP 10/27 while waiting to start next stim cycle! EDD: 7/8/17
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    satsumasandlemons
  • @jam85 have you talked to the testing company directly, and can you afford the $200 out of pocket? I wasn't sure if you meant you can't afford any cost, or if you were worried about it being $1000+. I talked about this above, but I spoke to Panorama directly and they said out of pocket will be under $200, even if insurance will pay nothing. My midwife confirmed that this has been the case for all her patients. Natera (the company) just wants people to use the test so they can make an argument to insurance companies that they should cover it (which will probably make them more money). Just a thought.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    satsumasandlemonsJAM85
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments Photogenic
    edited December 2016
    @cait32 I have not ours is through perkinelmer labs so do I just call them? We could probably do $200 they are quoting us $600 at the office which this time of year is just too much
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jam85 ... totally understand. I would try the company directly and see what they say. A quick google of that company showed me this, where it says $240 is max out of pocket (but the ultrasound is an aditional required cost): http://www.ntdlabs.com/patients/billing_faqs.php#1.3

I'm probably starting to sound like I work for panorama, but its just the one I know since its the one we did. Panorama doesn't require any ultrasound--it's just bloodwork. Natera has a way to request to do Panorama on their site, so even if its not the one your doctor's office typically uses, you could still probably do it instead? I don't understand the perkinelmer, I guess...maybe its more like the "quad" screening, which I know accompanies an ultrasound. Panorama is just blood and looks at the fetal blood in the mother's system. Don't know how much that helps...we're not doing an NT scan since we did Panorama. If it comes back with any high risk stuff, we'll look at what other tests might give us info (since its not diagnostic). At that point, everything would be covered by insurance since I was deemed high risk.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The new OBGYN just told me the same as @Cait32  - we won't have to pay more than $200 for 3out of the 4 tests and there's one test that isn't linked up to my insurance that will guarantee $99. @JAM85  definitely call the testing companies directly to see! 

@Cait32 sorry, didnt see it. I swear i read through the whole post! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

JAM85
  • I had my Panorama done on 12/09.  They said about two weeks, but could be longer due to the holidays.... I'm hoping they come before we leave town for Christmas!

TTC since April 2015- low AMH, low Morphology
    Clomid~ Feb2016-Apr2016, BFN x 3
    Natural ovulation IUI June2016, BFN
    IVF #1 08/26/2016- 4 eggs mature, 4 fertilized normally, 1 made it to transfer
    Fresh Transfer 08/31/2016, BFP.. Miscarriage 17dp5dt
    IVF results were hard to handle, wanted to attempt IUI a few more times
    Medicated IUI (Gonal-F, Ovidrel trigger) Oct2016
    BFP 10/20/2016!!!! Beta 1 (10dpiui) 16.9: Beta 2 (11dpiui) 42.23: Beta 3 (14dpiui) 282

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @satsumasandlemons I wasn't calling you out! Lol...I just felt badly because I feel like I've posted so many times in this thread I didn't want to repeat myself and keep bumping it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'll probably have mine taken some time after the holidays. I hope everyone updates here--I'll be on the lookout. Anyone planning to also find out the sex through this test? 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

cait32
  • @yellow1daisy we're finding out sex. DH seems more interested in that than knowing our risk levels. He asked the ultrasound tech today if she could tell...at 10 weeks, lol.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    satsumasandlemonslph4248
  • Took panorama yesterday, was told 10 days for results.  I'm hoping to know beforehand Christmas, but will probably be bumped to the week after.
    Me: 35 / DH: 34
    Dating 6/10
    Married 4/14
    NTNP since 10/15; TTC since 7/16

• @theweevee I did mine on Monday and their system says results on 12/23, but when I talked to them, they said it's usually a couple days earlier than what's on the website. They put it at the max on there to make sure it's not late, but he said I could hear as early as Mon or Tues on their site. So there may be hope for you! Did you get the code from your kit so you can get the results on their site? Even if you didn't, you can call with your birthdate and they'll help you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @yellow1daisy  @Cait32  we're definitely finding out the sex, too, and ditto re: DH wanting to find out now. He ALSO asked my ob/gyn if she could tell at the 8 week u/s  :/  
    BabyFruit Ticker

cait32ericandmaria
  • @Cait32 No code for me...but thats exciting to know!  I'll have to call on the 23rd if I don't hear from the doctor!
    Dating 6/10
    Married 4/14

• cait32cait32 member
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2016
    @theweevee yeah it'll take longer to get to your doctor. If your doc put your email on the form, you'll get an email in a couple days that they received it. At that point you can call and say you didn't get the code, but they'll give it to you and you can log into the patient portal and monitor when it'll be done! I'm a bit obsessed clearly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @caribbeanmama wahoo for awesome test results!!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
    caribbeanmama-2
  • @caribbeanmama congratulations! Did you find out the sex, too? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• lph4248lph4248 member
    500 Love Its 100 Comments Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited December 2016
    I got the Materni21 blood draw this morning. They said it would take about 10 days, which means post-Christmas, and as policy they don't want patients logging into the website because the results can cause unnecessary anxiety, especially if you look over the weekend and can't talk to the doctor. Definitely finding out the sex!

@Chamomile My estimated OOP for BCBS (in MA) was $0-50, but we'll see what the actual cost ends up being. My doctor today said the lab they use is in-network for BCBS, so that's why the cost is usually not high. But I'm not sure why your estimate is higher. Did you call them or use the website?

• @caribbeanmama congratulations! Did you find out the sex, too? 
    Yes!!!  It is still sinking in!!! They said they only found X chromosomes!!!  I can't believe it!  Team Pink! (I know I know 50% chance but for some insane reason I was convinced I would only have boys.)
    Yay that's wonderful double congrats on a healthy baby and it being a sweet girl! 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

Xathcaribbeanmama-2virginiaunicorn11
  • @Cait32 I am obsessed as well!  I received the email, I will call today!
    Dating 6/10
    Married 4/14

caribbeanmama-2
  • @caribbeanmama yay congratulations!!! Healthy and you got to find out sex already! 

If I wasn't obsessed before, I definitely am now :) 

BabyFruit Ticker

caribbeanmama-2cait32virginiaunicorn11
  • My blood draw was Tuesday, 12/13, should have the results soon!
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy