April 2016 Moms
Options

Baby's First Christmas!

what is everyone buying their LOs for Christmas? I promised myself I wouldn't go overboard since she won't really remember it anyway but next thing I knew my Amazon cart was at 168$ lol.

Re: Baby's First Christmas!

• Options
    I don't think we are going to get DD anything...she won't remember and both sets of grandparents are getting her plenty!  If we do anything it may just be stocking stuffers.
  • Options
    It's so hard to not go crazy because there are so many cute things for babies.  I know the grandparents will buy him quite a bit so I'm sticking with a few clothing items and maybe 2 or 3 new toys.  I'm looking forward to experiencing his first Christmas, I'm hoping he really digs ripping the paper lol
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm getting her a push walker because she is almost pulling up and getting ready to practice walking.  Other than that, we will stuff a stocking but mostly practical things we'd be buying her soon anyways-- onesies in the next size up, pjs, bath supplies, etc
  • Options
    Spoons, indestructibles book, penguin stacking toy, socks. He's baby #4, so we already have plenty of stuff. I could wrap the clothes I just got him from the kids second-hand store today...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know what you mean about getting carried away. :neutral: Gifts come twice for DS, once on the 6th and again on Christmas Eve. What a lucky baby! So far I bought a little activity table that DS can play and try to pull up on. It doubles as a tray table too. I also bought a baby cell phone since he's always grabbing mine. I think maybe that's it. He already has so much stuff. I need to do a toy cull when the holiday season is over. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We are getting a set of wooden blocks and some books for DS. Nothing too crazy! He has plenty of aunts/uncles and grandparents to buy him gifts.
  • Options
    We aren't going crazy either, though it is very hard not to. DS will get plenty from his four sets of grandparents and from other family members. We made the mistake of getting too much with our first baby who is almost 3! But we had watched a news piece on sky news I think back when I was pregnant with DD of a couple who only got four things. And we really liked it. It was one thing under four categories. Something to read, something they need, something to wear and something they want. Of course as babies they don't have a want. We got DS a $3 board book, the white bodysuits in the next size up as he is close and a pair of osh kosh overalls cuz we love them. We do the same categories still for DD and will do so for both kids every Christmas as long as funds allow.

I married the man of my dreams June 2, 2007!
  • Options
    ribride07 said:
    We aren't going crazy either, though it is very hard not to. DS will get plenty from his four sets of grandparents and from other family members. We made the mistake of getting too much with our first baby who is almost 3! But we had watched a news piece on sky news I think back when I was pregnant with DD of a couple who only got four things. And we really liked it. It was one thing under four categories. Something to read, something they need, something to wear and something they want. Of course as babies they don't have a want. We got DS a $3 board book, the white bodysuits in the next size up as he is close and a pair of osh kosh overalls cuz we love them. We do the same categories still for DD and will do so for both kids every Christmas as long as funds allow.

Want/Need/Wear/Read is what we have done for birthdays for DD1, and it has worked out well so far.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    brenlo42 said:
    ribride07 said:

Want/Need/Wear/Read is what we have done for birthdays for DD1, and it has worked out well so far.
    I love this idea! 
  • Options
    I have bought a sippy cup, a stackable toy, and a fake TV remote for Callen. We also bought some wooden blocks about a month ago that he has already been playing with. We're just going to wrap them up and give them to him again. I put a wishlist out on Babies R Us in hopes that the grandparents won't go too crazy. It has a convertible carseat, a push walker, and some educational toys. I love the want/need/wear/read idea though!!
  • Options
    juana0909juana0909 member
    edited December 2016
    I'm trying not to go overboard ,  but I did buy LO a fisher price push walker (stroller) since she is already pulling up and started to walk along the side and a purse that comes with keys phone a other things in it, my mom and sister are getting her clothes , can't wait this is gonna be great
  • Options

I haven't been shopping yet. But so far, there's only 3 items on the list for him:

1. Books

2. Stand-2-Walk type of device (V-Tech or Fisher Price makes them; don't know the name. I guess you can call it a "walker" or sorts)

3. Shoes (My son is pulling up, standing for short period of time, and walking along furniture right now. He turned 8 months on the 6th. Shoes are a must at this point. Hopefully, he takes his first steps soon!)

I love the want/need/wear/read idea as well.

I have also heard of people unwrapping or presenting a new gift to the child each month (in the case that a child gets loads of toys, etc.) That way, they don't get overwhelmed on Christmas or bored after 2 days of playing with all the toys at once.

Depending on how much the grandparents purchased, I'll be taking that approach.

• Options
    linzoirv said:

I haven't been shopping yet. But so far, there's only 3 items on the list for him:

1. Books

2. Stand-2-Walk type of device (V-Tech or Fisher Price makes them; don't know the name. I guess you can call it a "walker" or sorts)

3. Shoes (My son is pulling up, standing for short period of time, and walking along furniture right now. He turned 8 months on the 6th. Shoes are a must at this point. Hopefully, he takes his first steps soon!)

I love the want/need/wear/read idea as well.

I have also heard of people unwrapping or presenting a new gift to the child each month (in the case that a child gets loads of toys, etc.) That way, they don't get overwhelmed on Christmas or bored after 2 days of playing with all the toys at once.

Depending on how much the grandparents purchased, I'll be taking that approach.

I'm afraid we might get too many toys from my husband's side but I think they'd be bummed out if I said she can't open them all on Christmas. Maybe let her open them but hide them away for a while after that.
  • Options
    - Some kind of Sit and Scoot or Push and Scoot ... he has a stand walker but still flops right over when he's holding it. Looking for something to replace his walker basically since he is way too tall for it already, but loves it so much.

- Pool float with canopy 

- Vtech discovery cube, rhyme book, and learning table

- Extra long bed rail (this is more for us) since he's been spending more time with us in bed, and we're sick of building a pillow fort around his wiggly butt every time we get up to go to the bathroom 
  • Options
    WBORDERSWBORDERS member
    edited December 2016
    So far I've purchased a Leap Frog Scout, megablocks and a Christmas book. I think I'll get a fisher price walker-ride on thing and that's about it. Hubs wants to pick out some bath toys for his stocking. 
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    So far I've purchased a Leap Frog Scout, megablocks and a Christmas book. I think I'll get a fisher price walker-ride on thing and that's about it. Hubs wants to pick out some bath toys for his stocking. 
    The "five minutes of bedtime music" that Scout plays puts me right to sleep every time!