April 2017 Moms
Options

Family Planning After Baby

2»

Re: Family Planning After Baby

• Options
    @cafedisco I know NFP was sometimes disappointing to DH, and even "pull and pray" is less fun for him. But we both didn't like who I was on bc, not only because I was depressed and angry, but also low sex drive. So ultimately, it has its drawbacks but was better for us than hormonal bc. And condoms. DH doesn't like those. 

I'm super type A so I got a lot of satisfaction from obsessively tracking my cycles. Hahah. But it would be a lot harder if I was irregular. 

So no, not too hard to get DH on board and not hard to get into it. I will say that in those times when we wanted to be careful but didn't want to deprive one another, we've had to sacrificially take turns taking care of one another's needs in other ways, which takes a lot of communication and can sometimes lead to frustration if that communication fails. 
  • Options
    I had a Mirena inserted 8 weeks pp with DD and personally had no issues with it. It didn't completely stop my periods, but they were very light when they did come. It was awesome not needing to think about birth control at all. I'm 95% certain we're done with two kiddos (and DH is 100%, I think), so he will eventually be getting a vasectomy, but I don't know how soon after this one is born we'll get that done. I'd be okay with using another Mirena, or a copper IUD, for a couple years afterwards just to be certain we are done before DH gets snipped.

Re sibling spacing, DD will turn 3 mid-March, and this one should be here mid-April, and I'm pretty happy with that spacing. DD is getting more independent, and her language skills are constantly improving, making it easier for all of us when she can explain what she wants or how she's feeling. I'm sure we would have been fine with a smaller age gap, but this feels right for our family. There are pros and cons to every situation, of course. It's such a personal decision and one that might change once your baby is actually here and you learn how deal with all the challenges and changes.
    Me: 31 DH: 34
    DD1 born 3.2014
    DD2 born 4.2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went back on the Nuvaring which I loved pre pregnancy and it was fine but completely stopped my milk supply. My doctor said it wouldn't so I went for it and boom within 2 days I was dried up. I was so sad. So definitely not doing that again. If you're not breastfeeding I would highly recommend it. So easy and I didn't have negative side effects like I did with the pill. 

This time I think we will have to go natural because I'm determined to breastfeed longer. So big box of condoms it is I guess. Our two will be 18 months a part so no surprise babies right after birth please!!!
  • Options
    I have no idea what I'm going to do yet. I definitely want some type of birth control but I'm not going back on the pill. I was breastfeeding DD and on the pill when I got pregnant this time. We're not done having babies but 3 under 3 sounds way too exhausting!
  • Options
    We used NFP between #2 and #3.  This time DH will get snipped.  I was only 6 months pp when I got pregnant with #2.  My plan had been to have them spaced out enough to not need a second crib, but looking back I love having them less than 18 months apart.  They are best friends and having a newborn and a 1 year old was way easier than have a terrible two year old, a torturous three year old, and a newborn feels like it will be.
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • Options
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but after my appointment with my OB yesterday, I have some questions for those of you that used the FAM or NFP method between kids.

How reliable is ot if I'm not getting a solid amount of sleep to temp (cuz babies suck at sleeping)? 

This is is the method I want to use post birth, but am afraid something will go wrong and I'll get KU too soon. We probably wouldn't start trying for AT LEAST a year after baby is born (if we even decide to try for another one). But I have a friend who got pregnant unintentionally after her son was 3 months old (She was not using NFP, just assumed that breastfeeding would postpone ovulation).
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Options
    @KirstinH88 This our first baby and we use NFP for three years to avoid pregnancy. It was a great tool when we decided to try for kids. We will also continue with NFP after the birth.I use the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility. It is quite informative and I love it! There is a special section for mothers with new babies and how to adjust NFP while sleep deprived. 
    Besides temping there are also other ways to know if you are in your fertile window like cervical fluid, which I found helped me the most.  Hope this helps.
  • Options
    HGRichHGRich member
    edited January 2017
    @KirstinH88 I personally didn't use temping. I just tracked ovulation via my calendar and cervical mucus. I can also feel when I ovulate. Now I am aware that these things can change after baby so I may be considering adding OPKs for a little while just to be sure. I don't want it happening too fast either. But since it took us 8 months to conceive the first time, I'm not super worried, though I could be surprised. So I guess it depends on how fertile you are. Haha. But hopefully someone who used temping can give you some advice. 
  • Options
    @Dax28 @HGRich When TTC, I temped and checked cervical mucus. I plan to do the same again. I never ventured down the road of OPKs because of the additional cost (although I know you can get bundle packs for cheap). I'm going to have to look into that section of TCOYF about mothers with new babies.  
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Options
    @HGRich It took us 3 years to conceive DS, but this baby stuck on the first try. You might be surprised! ;)

@KirstinH88 We just used condoms, but I have heard a lot of people recommend the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility. I think we might do NFP until DH gets snipped this time around, so I'm going to pick that up and read through at some point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @KirstinH88 I tracked CM and used OPKs after our first loss.  Like @HGRich, I know when I ovulate because I can feel it.  Of course,  if trying to avoid pregnancy, feeling when you ovulate and which ovary did so means squat as sperm live up to a week inside you. 

With all of the tribulations we experienced TTC, I think I'll track so I can better date a potential pregnancy, but won't actively prevent. I feel I'm racing the clock with my self-imposed goal of "2 before 40" (will be 38 a few months after the birth of our son).
  • Options
    HGRichHGRich member
    edited January 2017
    @SnarkasaurusRex ha! That's what I'm afraid of. I don't think I would be mad about it, since we do want four kids, but it might be overwhelming and I don't know how much time I'll need between 1 and 2 for my own health. 

@KirstinH88 I agree about the cost. I planned to leverage it with DH that the cost is lower than having a second child before our savings is built back up. Lol. But yeah. We weren't able to conceive without them because even though I could feel ovulation, I realized both times we conceived that it seems to only work within twelve hours of the egg popping out so the OPK helped me find when that was exactly. My ovary would usually hurt for two or three days as it prepped the egg I guess so I was off several months before buying the OPKs. Anyway, I know that can't be a very good method because I could be surprised and some sperm could hang out and wait. I do have a catholic friend who does NFP for religious reasons and she just cuts a wide swath around her fertile window and they piously and patiently abstain. Haha. So I guess there's that. 

Eta I was able to lower the cost of OPKs by tracking via cm and calendar, and then only using a test when I was really close to ovulation. That way I used maybe three a month, was still accurate, and a kit usually came with six, so one kit would last me two months and it averaged to only around $10/month. But that's a bit of a stretch and if you guess wrong and miss your ovulation you're sunk. Worked for me though, personally.
  • Options
    @HappyAnjel ahh! Yes I keep hearing stories like that. I'm going to have to be honest with H I guess about how it's still possible, so he doesn't feel hoodwinked if we accidentally conceive again too soon for his taste. Hahaha. We also used the pull out method when we didn't want to abstain but I might be fertile, and that worked too.