March 2017 Moms

Family Planning After Baby

I saw this on January's board and thought it was such a good idea for a discussion.  I've only ever used the pill until we started trying.  Then it took me about 18 months and some pretty intense fertility drugs to get pregnant, so I'm tempted to exclusively breast feed, which hopefully would give me 6 months, and then see what happens.  But I'm so freaked out about being that person that ends up with babies 10 months apart.  Ideally I'd like our first and second to be about 2-3 years apart, so that's probably not a very wise route to take.  Stupid infertility, knowing my luck I'd try to rely on it for birth control and get pregnant a month later, after having not ovulated for 18 months lol What are you guys planning to do? STMs what's worked for you in the past? 

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Family Planning After Baby

• kjd291kjd291 member
    edited November 2016
    I personally highly reccomend the copper IUD (paragard) because its the one option that's hormone free! So you don't have to worry about how long after you take it out it might mess with your cycles and chances of getting pregnant again. It lasts 10years, but can be taken out at any point. 

ETA::This is what I used pre-baby. personally didn't use anything between pregnancies because I wanted to have my kids close together, but if I really wanted more space this is what I'd be using again. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kjd291 I have a lot of friends who have an IUD and recommend it.  I think it's something I need to start researching.  Question, one friend said she hasn't had a period in 5 years because of her IUD.  Is that true for all IUDs?

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

EDD 3/3/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I really don't want to be pregnant at an older age so I probably won't be doing on birth control and seeing what happens. Our first child took a year to make. This one only one month. So I'll just take my chances. If this birth goes well I'm having one more then done. Tubes tied or vasectomy will be the choice at that point. 
  • @kap1988 do NOT rely on breastfeeding as birth control. I did and I am now expecting my daughter almost exactly a year after my son. This will be easy this time. We don't want any more so H is getting a vasectomy. If you don't want to go the hormonal route an IUD or condoms is your best bet.
    Yep, that's what I'm afraid of! 

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

EDD 3/3/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • kap1988 said:
    @kjd291 I have a lot of friends who have an IUD and recommend it.  I think it's something I need to start researching.  Question, one friend said she hasn't had a period in 5 years because of her IUD.  Is that true for all IUDs?
    I would guess its a different type of IUD that also has hormones. This one being hormone free doesn't effect your period (the only thing some ppl say about this one is the first period or two may be a bit heavier, if anything)
  • kap1988 said:
    @kjd291 I have a lot of friends who have an IUD and recommend it.  I think it's something I need to start researching.  Question, one friend said she hasn't had a period in 5 years because of her IUD.  Is that true for all IUDs?
    I had an IUD and yes your periods can disappear. With me, I bled for about 3 mos straight then not again until I got it taken out. But I didn't get pregnant so it served its purpose. 
  • Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

EDD 3/3/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I used the mini pill, which is recommended if you're breastfeeding. I just put the pack next to the sink in my master bathroom so it could be visible and I'd remember to take it every night before bed. Worked perfectly since number 1 and 2 will be 3 years apart. A friend of mine relied on breastfeeding for birth control and didn't find out she was pregnant until she was 12 weeks along. Definitely a surprise for her!
  • I tried the copper IUD (never been pregnant) for a couple of months and HATED it. Although the doctor did say that my body would probably accept it better after being pregnant. For me, it made me bleed heavier and have absolutely horrible cramping. I was tempted to pull it out on my own...

Birth control pills made my sex drive non-existent so I switched to the Nuva-Ring. LOVED IT!! I was on it for about a year, I think, before we decided to start TTC. They say that the Nuva-Ring doesn't affect fertility which held true for us.

I will have to check with my doctor on using the Nuva-Ring while breastfeeding though. I do plan to breastfeed until he is at least a year old.  
    Me: 24 DH: 27
    High School Sweethearts: 10/13/06
    Married: 10/13/13
    Baby #1 EDD: 3/20/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was on the pill for years and then decided to give Mirena a try. It was, off and on, a pretty terrible experience. Finally, I called my doctor and demanded a last-minute, emergency appointment to have it taken out when I had withstood a full week of horrible pain that progressed to a point that I can only compare to labor pain. I've been told that it's all about the placement... I may give an IUD a try again. I love the idea of not having to take a pill everyday.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nuva Ring was my go-to after I took out my IUD. I also loved it. But my doctor said it can't be used when breastfeeding. 
  • @mcdonald-bailey Boo!!  :( I will have to find another option then!
    Me: 24 DH: 27
    High School Sweethearts: 10/13/06
    Married: 10/13/13
    Baby #1 EDD: 3/20/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was on Nuva ring for 3 years. The first year was fine. The second year, I had no sex drive, sex was extremely painful, didn't matter what I or DH did, began to lose hair.  By the third year, sex was constantly painful, hair loss was noticeable and my contact lenses wouldn't stay in my eyes. I quit Nuva ring.  I switched to Lo lestrin FE, the pill. Sex was no longer painful, but sex drive super non existent and I was more moody and irritable.  Gained a little bit of weight and had the worst time trying to lose it.  Quit the pill to make babies, sex drive became normal, less moodiness and lost the weight from the pill.  I learned my body reacts strongly to birth control methods. 
  • I have a friend who EBF-ed and got pregnant two months after she delivered her first baby, so I wouldn't rely on that. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I used mirena pre-pregnancy. I liked it in that I didn't get much of a period for 2.5 years and it was worry-free (the failure rate is miniscule). I didn't feel like I needed to get my period to know that I wasn't pregnant. I'm thinking I want to space my kids out a little more than seems common these days and get pregnant again when this one is in her two's. I don't know what I'm going to do for BC in the interim--mirena and hormonal BC in general really did kick my sex drive. I don't want the copper IUD. Obviously we can use condoms, which we'll do unless I decide to go back on mirena. Once we're done having kids DH agreed to get a vasectomy, so that'll be that when the time comes, but we don't know if we want two or three yet. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• kap1988 said:
    @kjd291 I have a lot of friends who have an IUD and recommend it.  I think it's something I need to start researching.  Question, one friend said she hasn't had a period in 5 years because of her IUD.  Is that true for all IUDs?l
    This is true for the hormonal (like mirena), not for the copper. I LOVED my mirena, never got a period (occasional spotting, but not much). It was my go-to option after having my DD, because I knew I wanted to have another kid in the next couple of years after, and I refused to go on any kind of BC that could potentially mess up my trying to conceive a second time (like the pill where you may not get your periods back to normal for awhile). Once I had my IUD removed, I had one period, then I was pregnant again the next month. I plan to get it put back in at 6-8 week pp once again! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was on the pill up until about a year before we got married and then we relied on the pull-out method up until we tried to get pregnant. Worked for us so we'll use it again until we want to start trying for #2 haha... DH says he only wants 2 kids & wants me to go back on the pill after that but I really don't like anything that  messes with my hormones, so I might look into an IUD instead at that time, we'll see.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • After 5 years TTC, 8 miscarriages, and 1 ectopic - we won't be using any birth control. We would like at least one more after this. We're actually hoping that year after fertility actually works in our favor! 

I have heard wonderful things though in terms of IUD. A lot of my friends went that route after their kids and were pregnant quickly after removal. After DS1 I went on the minipill but it still screwed up my milk supply - so I definitely won't go that route again even if we were preventing. 
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• datalover13datalover13 member
    edited November 2016
    After DS I tried out the implant that goes into your arm... I bled for about 3 months with no sign of stopping so I had that taken out and went on Lo Lesterin FE. My sex drive was never great to begin with so I didn't notice much difference in anything except my periods all but disappeared. I think that's probably what I'll go back on after this one until we decide if we want anymore.

ETA
    After I went off BC I had two normal cycles and then got pregnant with DS2. 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • I had the Mirena for 5 years and didn't have a period for that entire time (which I actually loved). When we decided to start trying, I had it removed and got pregnant within 6 weeks of having it removed - so obviously it didn't affect my fertility at all lol. I don't plan on having another one put in right away because we will likely try again after a year and I don't want to go through the IUD procedure just to have it in for a year. I highly recommend the Mirena, but make sure you have an Obgyn experienced in IUD placements to put it in. 
  • I love this post!  I have been terrified to try an IUI, but am contemplating the method for after this baby.  We haven't decided if we're done after this one (number 2) or if we'll have one more in a year or so.  Thanks for all of the insight ladies! 
  • I have a hormone disorder that causes me to never ovulate, but I'm still getting my tubes tied, just in case. I tried to convince DH to get a V, but he won't. Silly boy.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• We used condoms.  Until we stopped trying not to try for my second. they will be 16 months apart. I got pregnant pretty much immediately. I exclusively breastfed my son for 7 months, my period returned 8 weeks post partum. so that wouldn't have ever worked. Haha we do want a third, but I'm maid of honour in my best friends wedding in Mexico, so after speaking with my obgyn I will use either Paragaurd or Mirena to make sure I'm not pregnant until after the wedding! 
  • I will get the copper IUD again.  My body doesn't handle hormones well, probably the reason my body has sucked at pregnancy.  DH and I may be one and done, but we're going to think about it after this one is born and give it about a year before moving forward with a vasectomy for him.
    Married: 7/9/15
    Me: 37, DH: 36
    Started TTC #1: 9/2015
    Preliminary labs/testing @ 6 months: TSH, A1c, progesterone, prolactin, SA, HSG all normal
    BFP: 5/19/2016, M/C: 5/29/2016
    BFP: 6/22/2016  EDD 3//6/2017

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This little one was conceived on the minipill, used as directed. I'll probably try a copper IUD this time until we are ready for another baby. I get migraines, so I have to be careful with hormones. 
  • I plan on doing the rhythm method. Admittedly, it is one of the least reliable methods but I have had such bad experiences with birth control and messing with my natural cycle that I would like to try to learn my body's rhythm and work with it.
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited December 2016
    You could download the fertility friend app and read all the educational stuff about cycles. (definitely more than counting days) After using it to help me get pregnant I feel pretty confident about using natural family planning to plan for the next one.

@babyspice
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've never had a great experience with birth control, I just don't stop bleeding. I thought I would love the nuva ring but 3 months of straight bleeding just wasn't cutting it for me. I have no idea what I'm going to do after this baby as I don't want another for a long while but this pregnancy was a "pull out" method pregnancy so I will have to be way more careful.  

I only got a period back about 18 months postpartum exclusively breastfeeding but like mentioned that's not a guarantee I wouldn't have gotten pregnant again sooner. 

Ive heard too many horror stories to try an IUD but I may give the nuva ring or the patch another try once I'm done breastfeeding this LO. 
  • Since we got pregnant after 2 months of 'let's just see what happens' I'll definitely be doing something. I liked nuvaring while I was on it but it did majorly affect my sex drive! I had started temping and using the fertility friend app before we got pregnant so I'm anticipating using that again as a chemical-free BC option. I've tried the pill in the past and had a lot of pain with it so I think my options are somewhat limited 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • catem07catem07 member
    edited December 2016
    I've thought about using natural family planning (I can't come up with the name of the version where you use a barrier method instead of abstinence) with FF and temping but since you can only confirm ovulation in hindsight it only really works for the luteal phase, so I'd still want to use condoms in the first two-ish weeks of my cycle. 

ETA: fertility awareness method
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• edited December 2016
    Were another nfp family! @babyspice nfp sort of replaced the rhythm method due to scientific advancements in the understanding of women's bodies/fertility/cycles. It would probably be worth it to look into... there are a bunch of different types to suit different personalities/preferences:Marquette, sympto-thermal and Creighton. 

Beyond usinng it to prevent/achieve pregnancy, it's also taught me a lot about my individual body and fertility. I also know women who have discovered the underlying issues of their personal infertility issues (among other health issues) simply by tracking and recording irregularities in their cycles. I'm getting off topic. But nfp is a really good option for hormone free! :) 

eta- nfp is natural family planning 
  • @littleSkittle14 thank you so much for the suggestion! I am definitely going to do my research on that! I'm looking forward to doing things as naturally as possible for my body. so what you said seems exactly the type of method I'm hoping for.
  • My husband and I planned for the 2nd. my daughter was 11 months when I got pregnant. they'll be 19 months apart. 
  • I EBF my first and didn't get my period back till she was 13 months old! It's obv tough to predict that though. 
  • I also met a woman in at my last ultrasound who was there with her pregnant 17 year old daughter and was also holding her own 1 year old son.

Her 1year old was born 15 years after her last baby and was a copper IUD baby. It scared the crap out of me!