December 2016 Moms
Options

PP Healing & Wellness 11.28

2»

Re: PP Healing & Wellness 11.28

• Options
    Are any of you experiencing baby blues and if so what are you doing about them? I'm one week PP and baby blues are hitting hard. Mainly at night, idk why but around 8-10pm i get extremely weepy. There's also minor drama at my husbands work and he's going into the office for the first time in 3 weeks after working from home to clear some things up and I'm irrationally terrified he's going to lose his job on top of just feeling sad. I feel guilty since i had a pretty good birthing experience and fairly easy preganacy. I love my baby and hate that i feel this way.  
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    @juliehollz13 I am seeing a doctor on Monday about the same things you described with some birth stuff mixed in. From what some people have said, these feelings can be normal, but if you feel that you need help then there is no shame in that! You don't have to feel guilty because you had a uneventful birth! It doesn't mean you are not entitled to the feelings you are experiencing. I hope you find some relief soon! <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @juliehollz13 I am 90% sure that I have crossed into PPD. To make sure I stay on top of it, I have my H force me to do things that I typically enjoy. Like dragging me outside everyday, making sure I can take a nice uninterrupted shower every day. It helps me. I also talk honestly about how I'm feeling with him and friends.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Options
    @juliehollz13 you should be asked to fill out a PPD worksheet at both your OB check up and your baby's well checks.  This is a nice way to make you evaluate how you're feeling and open dialogue about it without feeling any judgement (not that you should at all, but when I had PPA with DS I was uncomfortable to bring it up).  My anxiety kicked into high gear at bedtime with DS and my mind would race, my heart would race and I felt I couldn't breathe.  This time around I get a little anxiety at night but nothing like last time (let's hope it stays that way).  I think nighttime is the hardest time for anyone struggling with PPD/PPA - it's feels very lonely and scary.  

To anyone who thinks they may have more than baby blues - talk to your doctor.  The meds work, but they take a bit to help regulate (a few weeks in my experience) and you'll likely be sorry you waited once you start to feel like yourself again.  Most new moms can wean off the meds once hormones reset.  Your body just went through the most demanding thing it will ever handle, and sometimes you need a little push to get back to 'normal'.... it's way more common than you may think.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    Exactly what was said by @DiFazette
    My experience was that the two times I've had either anxiety or PPD I was also very anemic and deficient in other things (for me Vit D) ... so, asking for a postpartum blood panel to be done is also very helpful. Thyroids can also go wonky after birth and make you feel like junk. I'm not one to say that that will fix it all... but it certainly helps to have or be taking the things your body needs to help you feel better as a whole person. 
    Hugs! You all are amazing and have gone through a lot recently don't underestimate the connection between your body and your emotions... if one or the other doesn't feel right it's a que to give both rest and further healing. And talk to your mate and care provider. Don't stop sharing. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• Options
    One other thing I forgot to mention last night, if you already regularly see a psychiatrist, psychologist, or counselor, think about making an appointment 2-3 weeks post delivery or your due date. Keep the appointment, even if you are feeling fine :-)
    EQD born 12/15!

• Options
    Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I actually do have an appt scheduled with my endocrinologist for PP blood panel in January, she thought it was a good idea too. My PP appt with the OB is at the end of the month so I'll talk to him about it too. I guess I'm also scared that they will call child protective services or something like that if i mention my feelings.  Do they do that? I have no thoughts of harminh myself or baby. Im just sad and anxious and irrationally terrified of something bad happening either to us and baby or job wise or getting sick or the house burning because i left the Christmas tree lights plugged in etc.,
    Met DH - 9/2003
    Dating - 9/18/2012
    Married - 8/16/2014
    NTNP - 7/2014-5/2015 
    TTC #1 - 5/2015 (CP October @ 4w2d)
    *PCOS/Hypothyroid/Ectopic Kidney/High DHEA-S*
    HSG - All clear, ectopic kidney didn't affect uterus (yay!)
    CT Adrenal Scan - no tumors! :D
    SA - sperm count excellent, 2% Morphology
    March/April IUI scheduled -  surprise BFP w/ help of Progesterone - 3/18/2016
    Beta #1 @ 11dpo - 45.7 #2 @ 14dpo - 163 #3 @ 18dpo - 997 #4 @ 21dpo - 3799 :D
    EDD 12/1 based on O, 11/28 per Ob/Gyn (but he's wrong lol).

*TEAM BLUE!*

BabyFruit Ticker

Image result for funny i hate football memes

• Options
    @juliehollz13 ex-CPS worker here. I don't think you need to worry about doc calling CPS. You're not a danger to your child, mama. If you were having thoughts of harming your baby or yourself, they probably would call, but that's not what you have going on. I'm sorry you're feeling bad. Please don't be afraid  to talk to your doc. If you keep feeling this way, I'd suggest calling before your apt. 

I'm also a PPD survivor, and I second what @DiFazette said. I WISH I had gotten help sooner rather than trying to power through it. I wasn't able to enjoy precious time with DS because of the PPD and being too stubborn to get help right away.  

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    1. How many weeks PP are you? How are you feeling this week?  
    6 days. Physically, I'm feeling ok. My stitches are a little sore still, but not too bad. Emotionally, I'm feeling better than I expected, though I did have a mini meltdown at 2:30 am because baby girl would not stop crying and I had changed, fed, burped, soothed for an hour. DH has been absolutely amazing through this whole first week, and he got up to soothe her so I could go back to sleep. 

2. What are you doing to intentionally help heal your body PP?  
    I've been trying to be conscious of not overdoing it, even though I feel pretty good.
    I have prescription ibuprofen (600 mg) and Norco for pain (I had a second degree tear). I have been only taking ibuprofen most of the time, but have been taking a Norco when I lay down for the night. However, like @slartybartfast said, the Norco makes me feel high, and last night I really scared myself because baby girl was in the rock n play right next to me spitting up and coughing and I didn't wake up until DH had gotten up and picked her up and was cleaning her off.  :(  I don't think I'll take it anymore. 

3. What are you currently discouraged or troubled about in your process of healing or restoration? Ask questions as needed...
    BF is still hard. Baby girl is not latching very well. It's getting better, but I still cringe and have to catch my breath every time she latches on. It's been frustrating because when I try to take her off to correct her latch, she gets mad and cries and wont re-latch for awhile. I see the LC on Tuesday and hopefully she will have some advice. 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • Options
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Options
    1. How many weeks PP are you? How are you feeling this week?  

1 week today. I'm exhausted and we haven't even brought baby home yet. I haven't found that time for "rest" that they told me to take. If I'm not at the NICU with Eaton, I'm home pumping or pumping at the NICU, or trying to knock something off of my massive to-do list (I maybe get one thing done a day). I'm frustrated trying to get my milk supply to come in. I've not gotten to put baby to breast yet but they're feeding him 2oz of formula at NICU every three hours and I can manage maybe 5mL if I'm lucky each time I'm pumping right now. I'm going to go buy some tea and talk to my lactation consultant if I can today to see if she can help me. 

2. What are you doing to intentionally help heal your body PP?

I'm just trying not to overdo and to stay fed and hydrated. I'm starving and always thirsty. Sleeping as much as I can at night, but feeling guilty about that because I really need to be getting up in the middle of the night to pump too and I haven't been. I'm trying to stay on top of how I'm feeling and be kind with myself. I wish I could press pause for just a second and catch my breath. Mentally I'm actually more energized and ready than I am physically, there's so much I need to do but only so much I can. 

3. What are you currently discouraged or troubled about in your process of healing or restoration? Ask questions as needed...

I'm just kind of weirded out by my body. I'm covered in bruises, have staples in my incision that I'm working to keep dry (they come out today), I have a pocket of fluid on my stomach, my stomach is everywhere, my body is pretty bloated, my muscles are sore, my milk isn't flowing well, my blood pressure isn't coming down, and I'm wearing a pad the size of a small country. They gave me some medicine for the blood pressure but it isn't doing anything but possibly giving me a headache - maybe it hasn't kicked in properly yet? I just kind of feel like a deflated bag thats been swished around in the rain. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Austenista pumping 5 mL per session is fantastic!  I know it doesn't feel like much but that's a great supply.  That means each time you lump you are doubling his eating needs - even if you only pump 4.  Nothing to stress about on that front, mama - you're doing great!

My boys will be 3 weeks tomorrow and my BP is just leveling out to a 'good' range consistently.  Most BP meds take a few weeks to really work (and most have yucky side effects until you get used to them).  The swelling will go away, mine took a week - which my docs said was fast but with DS at home rest is relative.  Excessive fluid intake also helps.   

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    @Austenista You are doing an awesome job! Your pumping seems to be right on track, too. They had to supplement Ashton with formula for a little bit before he could switch exclusively to breastmilk, so no worries. Now I have an oversupply! Also, I would take a 5 hour sleeping break between pumps at night, which I recommend doing. So I would pump at 12am, for example, then sleep until 5 and then resume the 3 hour schedule. Don't feel guilty for getting rest.

Also second the suggestion about drinking a lot of fluids---helps with pumping and helps with that swelling. It will take some time to go down, but it will.
  • Options
    I second @dmontgo on the sleeping break. Sleep can REALLY help your supply (it's such a ridiculously tedious balance!!) as well as getting you back to health. Hang in  there

Pregnancy Ticker