July 2017 Moms

White Coat Syndrome

Anyone else have white coat syndrome? For pretty much my entire I've dealt with white coat syndrome. No matter what my blood pressure is super high at the doctors. Anyone else concerned about all the doctors visits and labor and what that's going to be like having white coat syndrome? I am super excited about everything, but I've never dealt well with doctors.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: White Coat Syndrome

• I tend to get anxious at the Drs as well, my top number was a little high at my appointment (140/60), and the nurse wasn't concerned at all, said it was most likely because I was nervous. They might want to keep a close eye on your if you have consistently high blood pressure and/or develop other signs of pre-eclampsia, which is no joke during pregnancy.
  • Yep and I have an at home cuff and come in with my readings at different times during the day (consistent day to day) because mine is so bad. They still forced me on meds by scaring me last time at the end. This time I will not be forced unless I see a trending in my own numbers at home. I bought a brand new cuff for this pregnancy 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • What I have found that helps is asking to have it retaken at the end of the appointment after you relax a bit. and if that doesn't work, at home monitors (or teach dh how to do it!
  • Yes, I have it bad and I'm nervous it's going to affect things again this pregnancy. My last pregnancy with DS2 was riddled with nerves and high BP, he was my rainbow baby after a loss of twins at 16 weeks ...so every single time I went to the doctor I expected some horrible news and would literally be shaking and so so nervous, and my BP was so high each time. My doctor ended up putting me on bedrest for the last 3 months because of my BP, so to say I'm nervous about the white coat syndrome and BP is an understatement!! I had a cuff at home and I checked regularly, several times a day actually, and my BP was always normal, but it's best to be safe than sorry. 

I really hope my BP behaves this time around. I thankfully do feel more chill this pregnancy, so I'm hoping it all turns out okay in the end. 
  • My Dr wouldn't let me leave his office today until my blood pressure went down. 2 hrs later ughh.
  • Glad I'm not the only one dealing with this!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I get nervous at the doctor too. I make myself take really deep long breaths when I know the BP check is coming. I do NOT have high BP, but I tend to run high at the doctor. I'm always worried that they'll tell me something is wrong. I've actually found that being pregnant is easier because it's something happy to go to the doctor for. As someone who deals with anxiety in general, I know the breathing thing doesn't always help, but if you can physically make yourself breath long and slow, it will naturally slow you're heart rate down. It's the only advice I really have. although it doesn't always work for me either. When I went to get a root canal a year ago, I could not get my BP to come down. They almost sent me home over it. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • If you have this happen to you, really try and work on some calming exercises while they take your BP. Close your eyes, imagine being on a beach with your toes in the sand, and take nice deep breaths in and out. Whatever you do, DO NOT TALK during it. Nurses have an annoying way of trying to make small talk and it just makes your BP go up. Just ignore us. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.