Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Christmas Decorating w/Toddler

hey guys! This year is the first I'll be decorating my own place with my son. He's 20 months old. Last year he wasnt mobile enough to worry about grabbing at decorations and getting at the tree but this year I need to toddler proof my place. Any suggestions on keeping the toddler from destroying the tree or other decor and getting hurt aside from baby gates? Regular decor should be fine, I think he'll be okay with listening when I tell him not to touch small things but keeping him from the tree will probably be a bit harder. 
Mama of 1.5 little boys.
20. Engaged. Single Parent. College Student in 2017. SAHM.
Just taking things as they come and doing the best I can for my kids.

Michael Anthony | April 11th 2015
Baby Boy #2 | May 12th 2017

Re: Christmas Decorating w/Toddler

• Options
    You place the tree in a corner so that it is already protected on two sides. Then you get 3-4 very large cardboard boxes. You put heavy things, like books, in the boxes so that your toddler won't be able to move the boxes. You then seal the boxes with packing tape, and wrap the boxes with wrapping paper, you use packing tape instead of gift wrap tape. You then place the boxes in front of the exposed sides of the tree. You can place the real Christmas gifts behind the boxes so that they will be protected as well. 

• Options
    You place the tree in a corner so that it is already protected on two sides. Then you get 3-4 very large cardboard boxes. You put heavy things, like books, in the boxes so that your toddler won't be able to move the boxes. You then seal the boxes with packing tape, and wrap the boxes with wrapping paper, you use packing tape instead of gift wrap tape. You then place the boxes in front of the exposed sides of the tree. You can place the real Christmas gifts behind the boxes so that they will be protected as well. 

This is the best idea I have ever heard. Why did I not think of this. D:
    Mama of 1.5 little boys.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish I could take credit but I saw it on Pinterest  ;)
  • Options
    We have a very large tree (over 10 feet, real) so it's way too heavy for DD to knock over somehow, but basically we didn't put any ornaments on the lower third, and then we convinced her that the lights were hot so she shouldn't touch them.  She walks up to the tree now and blows on it because she thinks the lights are hot.  haha.  We just don't put presents out until it's time for them to be opened.
  • Options
    @delujm0
    Oh the lights being hot thing is so smart, my son would totally go for that. We've taught him to stay away from the oven and candles so he should listen to the lights thing too. Thanks!
    Mama of 1.5 little boys.

• Options
    We put ours on our coffee table cause it isn't that big and he has been climbing on the table to get it. I may need to do that big box idea though. he hasn't had any interest in the presents we do have though.

• Options
    I guess we just got really lucky with DS (16.5 months). The first day we put the tree up, we said "don't pull" when he grabbed at any of the ornaments, and he doesn't mess with them. He'll go up to it and touch the branches and the lights and some of the sparkly ornaments, but he doesn't pull at anything, he just looks. He'll also "decorate" the tree by putting his toys on the bottom branches. :lol:

I really like that box idea though. We might have to do that to keep him out of the presents once they go under there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I think how you deal with this depends on how verbal he is, and how little or much impulse control he has.  It also depends on how you feel about working with him and getting him used to limits.  Kids his age could be wildly different when it comes to this situation.

If he's reasonably verbal, beginning to show signs that he understands there are some things that are "no touch" or "gentle touch" items, and it's your parenting style to work with him from a young age to deal with these limits, then I'd put any decorations you love up top, and maybe invest in some less breakable ornaments for the bottom, just in case he grabs and you can't stop him in time.

On the other hand, he may be the type of kid that will absolutely grab, and is not ready to recognize or heed a verbal warning at this age.  You may have a parenting philosophy that it's easier to prevent problems and teach the limits and impulse control later, to an older child.  In this case you want to use a barrier of some sort that prevents him from getting into a situation where he is tempted to go after the decorations or ornaments.  The big boxes in the pic above seem like a pretty good idea.  Next year will be the Christmas to work on "no touch" and "gentle touch" with him.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade