December 2016 Moms
Options

My birth story

Almost three weeks later, I'm kinda awake, and the girls are kinda sleeping, so I'll tell my birth story! 

The wednesday before my girls were born, I went to my regular OB check appointment. My OB was on vacation, so I saw another doctor in her practice. The nurse took my BP and it was 139/100, and she came back 10 minutes later saying the doctor wanted her to check it again. It was 144/90 that time. The doctor came in, and I asked her about the swelling in my feet and ankles, which was crazy and really uncomfortable. She said it was normal, but she wanted to do a blood panel and check my urine because my BP was a bit elevated. The next day they called and said my blood work was normal, but there were trace amounts of protein in my urine. So the nurse said the doctor wanted me to come in and have my BP checked. I couldn't, because of work and my very limited time for maternity leave. So they told me to monitor my blood pressure and call them the next day. 

I went to my parents house to borrow their wrist cuff BP monitor. I used it while I was there, and it said 170/111. That had me worried, but my labor buddy told me that the wrist cuff wasn't very accurate. So I stopped at the rite aid to use their machine. I checked it twice, and it was 167/103 and 172/111. So I called the advice nurse and they told me to go to L&D. 

Got to the hospital and they hooked me up to monitors and started doing blood pressure checks. They were all 127-137/75-90, the nurse told me that was perfectly fine. The on call OB came in, and said I should see my doctor the next week. My doctor office told me to monitor my BP over the weekend, and if it was ever over 160/103 to go to the hospital. I borrowed an automatic arm cuff monitor from a friend, and besides going to the grocery store, I spent the weekend watching tv in bed with my very swollen feet up. Most of the weekend it was around 150/100. 

The called me Tuesday to check on me, and said I needed to go to the hospital. I told her I really didn't know how accurate this monitor was, and asked if anyone had actually talked to my doctor about this. After several phone calls, and crying at my desk at work over my maternity leave that just got shorter with each appointment, I decided to go to the hospital (same allifiation) down the street from my work on my lunch. I went to their ER, and asked if someone could just check my BP. The front desk ladies wanted to admit me first, but I convinced them to let me talk to a nurse. He checked my BP, and it was 167/100. Soooo the doctor comes in and starts saying now I'm their patient, and I'll have to be transferred to the hospital I planned to deliver at since they didn't have a L&D. My doctor office called while I was talking to him, and he asked to speak with them. So I pretty much got held against my will, and had to convince them to let me drive myself home so that my husband could take me to the hospital. I spent an hour there, they took blood and had me pee, had me sign a release, and let me leave. 

I text my boss to let him know I had to go, and that I was sorry. Got home to my husband freaking out and throwing stuff in the car. I told him not to, that I'd probably get there, and they'd send me home like last time. Got to the hospital around 2:30pm on Tuesday 11/8. Election Day. Oh I also grabbed my ballot as we left, convinced I'd get to leave, and drop it off. Yeah, that never happened. 

They started monitoring my BP, and a resident came in to get the back story. I made it clear that I cannot go on bedrest, because that will take from my maternity leave. He said an OB would be in soon. The OB came in, and apparently he is also my mom's doctor. He says even though I feel fine, my blood panels are normal, and there are only trace amounts of protein in my urine, I have preeclampsia, and since I'm 35 weeks, it's time for babies to come out. In about four hours. 

So I start crying, and my husband starts doing his, it's fine baby, we're ready, you're going to do great, thing. They started me on magnesium sulfate, which made me feel really hot, but apparently I handled it very well. At 8pm they took DH and I to the OR. They told him they would prep me and do my spinal block, then he could come in, that it'd be about 15 minutes. So this is really the only negative part of my birth story. The anesthesiologist came in, and started to do my spinal block. I'm not even joking when I say this lady stuck me about 15 times. My husband counted 13 poke marks on my back. She kept telling me to tell her where I felt her poke, and telling me to use my words. She kept hitting a nerve, and sending shooting pains down me legs. So I'm yelling "left!!!" At her because she kept asking where I felt it. I'm bawling and looking at the nurse in front of me like "help me! I'm going to kill this woman". She kept moving where she was trying, and used the local anesthetic, telling me I'd feel a pinch and some burning. The "burning" was more accurately described as hell fire. Finally she called another anesthesiologist and he did it in less than 10 minutes. 47 minutes later, they let my husband come in, who had been freaking out in the hall, listening to me yell. 

Baby A, Olivia Bliss was born at 9:09pm 4.8lbs, 17.75". Baby B, Sophia Lynn was born at 9:11pm 5lbs, 17.5".

after that everything was pretty normal. My mother, MIL, and SIL were waiting for us when they let visitors in 2 hours later. We had some friends who were still up very late, upset about the election, who came to see us at 1am. 

The only abnormal thing that happened was Sophia had to go to the nicu on Wednesday night, because her blood sugar was low. They just monitored her for the night, and we got her back the next morning. We spent 4 days in the hospital, the extra day was to monitor my BP. 

The girls will be 3 weeks old this Tuesday, I'm healing up very well, and we're all doing great. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: My birth story