Baby Names

Help Us Decide!

edited November 2016 in Baby Names
DH and I are torn between two names for our second son due in February:

Benjamin
Alexander

DS1 is James.

We are likely going with John as a MN.  Also open to other suggestions!

Big Bro 7/14/13
Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   

Re: Help Us Decide!

• Benjamin would be my choice out of those two. 
  • KyleeWallerKyleeWaller member
    edited November 2016
    My first thought: I think both "Alexander" and "Benjamin" are going to be given NN's among family and in school. 

That being said, Alexander would be my choice, and I would immediately begin calling him Alex as a NN (because I like Alex better, but would want to give him the option of Alexander later in life). I also like the NN Al. I don't care for the NN Xander, but it is another option. While I think "Benjamin" is a solid name, and "Ben" is a fine NN, I really dislike "Benny," and I think it might be unavoidable. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kyleewaller I agree with your point on NNs.  I don't like Benny at all and Xander isn't bad, it's just NMS.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • @BumpasaurusRex yeah! I can't put my finger on why I wouldn't use Xander myself, but I wouldn't mind if my son was Alexander and someone called him that. It's a weird gray area NN for me, I guess. 

• I like both, Ben slightly more .  
  • I like both too. I prefer the nn Ben over Alex or Xander, so Benjamin is my pick!
  • Thinking of Alex over here too. Fwiw it's been at #8 for decades so it's pretty popular. I also like Benjamin and considered Bennett for nn of Ben.

• With James, I like Benjamin better.  Would have pushed harder for it for one of our sons, but it happens to sound weird with our last name.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • I love Alexander myself, but my DH vetoed it as FN, and it will probably be our boy MN. 

I know a lot of Benjamins and I've never heard one called Benny. I can't imagine that becoming problematic if they go by Ben. 

Both are solid classic names. You can't go wrong. 
  • I slightly prefer Benjamin but with mn John I prefer Alexander because of the potential nn BJ.

I also like all of the nn options- AJ, Alex, Lex, Xander that Alexander has.

Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I like Benjamin with John more than Alexander. 
  • Are you me? My DS is James and we were STRONGLY considering Benjamin John if this one was a boy, haha. Obviously, I think you have great taste in names. ;)

DH has a thing for monosyllabic names, so he preferred Ben as a nn, while I was leaning more toward Benji. I don't think I've ever known a Benjamin IRL that went by the nn Benny, so you could probably nip that in the bud pretty easily.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think Benjamin John sounds nice, but then his first two initials would be BJ. If that isn't a deal breaker for you, then I don't see an issue. 

Alexander John sounds very nice, as well. However, I think Benjamin flows a little better with James 
  • Both are great, strong names (we actually considered both for our DS and this current little one), but I would pick Benjamin. Love the nicknames Ben or Benji. 
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• Alexander hands down. 
  • I was going to say Benjamin, but not with the initials BJ. So if the MN will be john, the I pick Alexander.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Thanks everyone for the feedback!  I honestly never put the initials together until you mentioned it and it's thrown DH off a bit.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • I prefer Alexander! Mostly because I like the NN Alex much more than Ben.

Red (30) & DH (30) m. 08'

IVF #2  Roman Carter  8/3/16 (40+6)

5 frozen embryos 

• I like the way Alexander John sounds more then Benjamin John
  • Alexander John sounds great! Alexander would be on our maybe list, but my son has too many friends named Alex.