High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Low Blood Platelets

I'm current 14 weeks 4 days pregnant with baby #3. First two pregnancies I never had any blood platelet issues. I just received the results from my 1st trimester blood work from a few weeks ago. My platelets are 35. Normal is 150-360. How concerned should I be my level is so low so early on?! I'm not able to find any info on blood platelets this low this early on. My next ob appt is next Wednesday. Not sure if I should call my ob sooner or not?! 

Re: Low Blood Platelets

• Options
    Call your ob. Not sure what that means, but with my first, low platelets in the third trimester indicated HELLP. Not trying to frighten you, as I'm sure it could be a variety of things or nothings. But I'd want to know ❤

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hi

I developed a platelet disorder called ITP (immune/idiopathic  thrombocytopenia pupria) that was randomly discovered in a CBC at 25 weeks with my 1st pregnancy (never knew I had it or even what it was at that point) . I had a platelet count of 17 at that time. I went through a battery of tests to rule out any other issues or syndromes and everything came back normal or negative so ITP it was. I gained a hematologist and perinatologist and went on daily doses of prednisone for the rest of my pregnancy along with some other treatments when I eventually maxed our my daily dose of prednisone at 80mg and still was hanging with a platelet count in the teens. Thank goodness I was never symptomatic or had any bleeding issues and am now on my 2nd pregnancy waiting for this autoimmune disorder to flare again (currently 14 weeks and due for more blood work this week). If there was anything for them to really freak out about they would have called you  (and if not IMO get yourself a new OB because that's ridiculous) critical results of less than a platelet count of 30 (I believe or 35 maybe)  and lower were automatically called to my hematologist office and my hematologist really only freaked out when I dropped under 10 and I required a platelet infusion the next day. Let me know if you have any questions-  I'm more than happy to answer as much as I can!
    lmayer129