Options

Tips from pregnancy veterans

2»

Re: Tips from pregnancy veterans

• Options
    GoogleMDGoogleMD member
    edited November 2016
    tsarina said:
    @stokesm21 Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but my recollection is that after delivering vaginally, you aren't supposed to use tampons for a little while. You'll be healing, and putting stuff all up in your business could introduce infection. Also, as others have noted, you may pass clots of blood - you won't be able to do that with a tampon in, and your body needs to expel that stuff.
    You cannot use tampons reguardless of delivery method. There is a much higher  risk of infection since your  uterus is healing. Nothing  in the vagina for 6 weeks pp.

Edit: auto correct sucks
  • Options
    No tampons after delivery.  Buy the ginormous pads and granny panties.  Take all the mesh underwear and crazy giant pads from the hospital - you paid for it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I couldn't use tampons for a long time. It just wasn't comfortable.
    Me: 33 DH:34
    DD: 4-5-14

• Options
    @RunRestRepeat I agree  that your health is serious but I was more of referring to "I'm concerned if this is my mucous plug" or "I think my ultrasound looks strange" and the "am I in labor" those types of "concerned" posts. People are always going to Google and ask forums first and then call the doctor, it happens time after time. 
  • Options
    @GoogleMD & @caribbeanmama Thanks ladies for the clarification! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Well the pads the hospital gave me we basically diapers without the sticky thing to hold them together. The mesh underwear were HORRIBLE! I think they were once size fits all. I couldn't keep them up!!! They fell down me every dang time! They were baggy so bad on me! I will in fact be buying adult diapers this time! Zero shame!!! With the mesh panties dropping the giant pad would slide around a flip flop around....seriously hated it! 
  • Options
    I personally liked the mesh panties, they were big but I had a c-section too and they came up high enough I could stick the pad to the inside of the front of them to cushion the incision and absorb any bleeding and discharge there as well. Regular underwear seem to end right where the incision is so it kept any unnecessary rubbing down as well. Another c-section tip, if they don't offer ask for the corset thingy they use to wrap around your stomach - I took mine home, it helped with the pain more than anything else and helped keep everything in place. I only took it off to shower the first few days 
  • Options
    @morgarita I had NO idea about the blood clots - that must have been crazy to experience that in the shower! 

And this is all just so helpful, thank you everyone! Learning so much reading all of these. 
    Me: 28 I MH: 27
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Don't keep your ring on until the LAST possible day that you think you can "maaaaaybe" get it off. 

Bring slippers for the hospital. People always ask me what was my favorite thing (besides the baby, of course) and that was my one thing. 

Get a snoogle. It replaced my husband towards the end (at the end he couldn't even breathe around me and I'd freak)

Dont freak out out when they start beating your uterus after birth...it's normal. And an ice pack on your lady bits afterwards works wonders. 

The first poop after giving birth is literally terrifying. If your doctor okays it..start taking colace before birth. 
  • Options
    Some things I didn't know when I was pregnant with my first:

1) it is highly likely that you will sneeze and pee your pants because of it. this is normal, you are not alone. also, laughing so hard you pee your pants is more common. I had no idea of how bad my loss of bladder control would be, and it happens much sooner than you would think!

2) if you are group B positive and have the penicillin in your arm during labor, and it starts to burn, it can be because of the potassium, you can ask to have it diluted and the infusion rate increased.

3) tmi: you are potentially going to experience the new wonders of hemorrhoids, witch hazel and warm baths can help. 

4)if you're plus size, you may get what is called a "B-belly" which isn't a super cute pregnancy "D-belly" but the full panel maternity pants do wonders to make you look more "D" so yay for wering stretchy pants earlier.

• Options
    plumpous said:
    My best advice is that if you are in labor and they send you home because you are not 4cm yet, DON'T GO HOME!!! If contractions are close and strong stay nearby, walk around the hospital if you have to. I nearly had mine at home. My neighbor DID have hers at home because of ill advice from triage. 

In conclusion, DON'T GO HOME if you are in labor. 
    So unfortunately I'm going to have to stop you right here. Anecdotal "I know someone who.." isn't sound advice. 

The definiton of labor is contractions that change your cervix. Early labor in a first time mom (until you get to 6cm) can be up to 48 hours, but most often about 12 hours. 

First babies don't fall out (99.99999% of the time). If triage is sending you home it's usually because you are in early labor, or not really in labor even though you are contracting. They are not torturing you, they do not hate you; it's really the best thing to do. If for some reason you are adamant that even though they are saying you are not in labor that this baby WILL fall out, ask to walk around for 2 hours and get rechecked. If you still arent changed, please go home. 

I do this full time I'm not just a "I had a baby once so I know all there is to know about labor" jerk. 
    Yes!!! My best advice (again) is to hire a doula so you have someone there to help you determine when to go to the hospital, so you won't show up too early. Stay home until you are in active labor, bring your sexy adult diapers, and make sure your husband brings a jacket, because you will get hot and want your room freezing and he will suffer without a jacket!
    Jenn, mama to Big K (6/05) and Little K (5/07) and stepmama to Midde K (11/05)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    plumpous said:
    My best advice is that if you are in labor and they send you home because you are not 4cm yet, DON'T GO HOME!!! If contractions are close and strong stay nearby, walk around the hospital if you have to. I nearly had mine at home. My neighbor DID have hers at home because of ill advice from triage. 

In conclusion, DON'T GO HOME if you are in labor. 
    So unfortunately I'm going to have to stop you right here. Anecdotal "I know someone who.." isn't sound advice. 

The definiton of labor is contractions that change your cervix. Early labor in a first time mom (until you get to 6cm) can be up to 48 hours, but most often about 12 hours. 

First babies don't fall out (99.99999% of the time). If triage is sending you home it's usually because you are in early labor, or not really in labor even though you are contracting. They are not torturing you, they do not hate you; it's really the best thing to do. If for some reason you are adamant that even though they are saying you are not in labor that this baby WILL fall out, ask to walk around for 2 hours and get rechecked. If you still arent changed, please go home. 

I do this full time I'm not just a "I had a baby once so I know all there is to know about labor" jerk. 
    I understand your perspective. I should clarify that this was the middle of the second phase. I was very close to the end. I should have walked around the hospital. They told me to sleep it off. No direction on when to come back, and I asked. I was clueless. I nearly had the baby at home because I thought I should wait till morning. I was back 5 hours later at 10cm. No chance for epidural. I wish I followed my intuition. They are not always right. Women should know this. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Some things I didn't know when I was pregnant with my first:

1) it is highly likely that you will sneeze and pee your pants because of it. this is normal, you are not alone. also, laughing so hard you pee your pants is more common. I had no idea of how bad my loss of bladder control would be, and it happens much sooner than you would think!

OMG yes! And after baby it will keep happening. A long lasting effect of having a baby. If I'm going to a comedy at the movie theatre I will wear a panty liner just in case lol.
                           SD(13) DS(10) DS(4) DS(3)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited November 2016
    I agree that all perspectives go into it and thank you for sharing! @plumpous Only the woman in labor knows how she truly feels. There have been cases where nurses were wrong, and because you have to advocate for yourself-whatever it was got caught. This happened to me. Nurses and doctors told me I was wrong, but I was right. It happens.

I also think just because you do something for a living doesn't make the the 'end all be all' of advice. Just saying. @dancegurl1118
  • Options
    I will add some more detail just to make my advice a bit more useful. I was in labor since 4am. After 12 hours contractions were 5 minutes apart, and lasted about a minute. After an hour of that, I called my provider and they advised me to to the hospital. I was seen at 7pm. I was 1cm. But I was in a lot more pain at this point. It was definitely getting stronger. From what I learned this was the transitional phase, and lasts about 4-6 hours. But they said I'd walk for days. 
    I stayed home for a long while throughout the day. I don't advocate going in during the first stage. But this was progressing. When I was back home, there was no way of knowing if anything is changing, I was starting to freak out and I started squatting and couldn't even walk to the car, I kept collapsing to the floor. That's why I advise to stay nearby. I didn't know what to do, I stayed home waaaay too long because I thought they would send me home again. I just want to make sure women don't take direction blindly and consider sticking around if they are not sure. A doula is probably a good idea in a case like this. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

2) if you are group B positive and have the penicillin in your arm during labor, and it starts to burn, it can be because of the potassium, you can ask to have it diluted and the infusion rate increased.

Yes! I completely forgot about this. I was induced early (35 weeks) so I hadn't gotten the strep B swab yet when I was admitted to hospital. While the hospital waited for my swab result I got the antibiotic/potassium in my arm just in case I was positive (I was negative). It hurt like HELL...and I'm not scared of needles and have a pretty good pain tolerance. I started crying and panicking. Definitely tell them if this happens to you and they can attenuate the dose or dilute it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mars8k said:
    amazing thread so many useful tips!
    I will add this, if you work and you're planning to pump, pump as early as you can and work on a good freezer storage.

research the best storage options before delivery, you might not have time afterwards. i prefer medela storage bottles to bags, they feel safer when it comes to spills. read reviews they will help you decide what's best for you
    I want to add a different perspective and say that for some people, it may be more helpful to just focus on establishing your supply and don't worry too much about building a stash or pumping a lot in the beginning for two reasons: 1) pumping too much in the beginning typically leads to oversupply and in weeks 5 or so, oversupply is a bitch. 2) if you're suffering from anxiety like I was, letting go of the pressure to pump and store during those first few months can be helpful. 

That said I went back to work at 11 weeks and then had a three week Holiday break, never had supply issues, and all the ingredients for a successful workplace pumping situation so was always enough to just pump for the next day. 
  • Options
    Oh can I add a few more? Probiotic supplements and probiotic rich food. Take them and eat them as much as possible but especially when you're nursing because that good bacteria is transferable through breastmilk! This will help build up their own gut bacteria and keep em healthy. 
    Also, I found eating insane amounts of kale and daily steelcut oatmeal really helped keep my supply up - lots of water too. 
    Finally one more thing - this is probably not true, but I swear there must be something there: I never used to eat blueberries. I ate a lot of fruits and veggies, but never blueberries. When I was pg with DD, I ate berries and a TON of blueberries everyday along with peaches and stone fruit (perks of being pg in summer!!) and lo and behold, DD has had blueberries pretty much everyday since she first tried them during solid food training. Every. Damn. Day. 
    This kid is healthy and rarely sick! 
  • Options
    Thank you @dancegurl1118 I couldn't agree more or have said it better. 
  • Options
    Yes!! 100% agree about breastfeeding with @dancegurl1118
  • Options
    I love that some of you are eating so well for yourselves. I am struggling so hard because the idea of eating those things makes me gag right now. All I want is cheeseburgers and pizza. Once the nausea dies down I will behave but it is either eat pizza or vomit right now.  :D
  • Options
    @ladybray That was my ENTIRE pregnancy with DS.  This time there's a little more variety, but I'm hoping it still gets better once the second trimester come around. FX!
  • Options
    My two cents.

Stay active like walking, Zumba or swimming (of course only if your Dr. Is okay with with) and do squats and don't forget the kegels!  Aside from that, stay positive take it one day at a time and don't overdose on googling call your doctor even with stupid questions. 

Last but not least attend one of one of the La Leche meetings if you can and are planning on breastfeeding.  But please don't get so attached to the idea of breastfeeding that it ends up defining your motherhood.  
  • Options
    So much great advice here.  

I could write a book but I'll just say, you're likely to get a lot of "just you wait..." advice from random people in your life and the only one that matters is, "just you wait until you're finally holding that little bundle of joy."  

You got this, first time mamas.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    This is my first pregnancy and I just wanted to chime and say... thank you! And I am reading all of  these!