April 2017 Moms

Echogenic Intracardiac Focus (EIF)

I post a bit about this in the weekly appointment thread but thought I'd get more visibility here. 
We had our anatomy scan today which went well - baby girl is confirmed to be 100% a girl which relieved my DH haha and everything looked great and she's measuring about a week ahead right now.
They did tell us they detected a Echogenic Intracardiac Focus in the left ventricle part of the heart. To those who don't know what that is (I didn't) it is basically a "bright spot" they see that is a calcium type deposit as best I understand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I guess they are fairly common to see even in normal pregnancies and cause no risks or health issues but can be a soft marker for downs syndrome. My ob said because of my age (26), this being the only marker and it being on the left she's not worried at all and feels it's most likely nothing. She said if we want we just continue on and they will check it again later on and sometimes they just go away or we can have a blood test done to see for sure if it is downs or not. She said even if it never goes away they don't do any monitoring after birth or anything as it is no problem whatsoever.
We are thinking of ordering the blood work just so we can know and "prepare" one way or another but does anyone have any experience or insight for me whether personal or someone they know? I go back and forth between being totally fine and unworried and then being an anxious wreck. 
Sorry this turned into a novel! 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Echogenic Intracardiac Focus (EIF)

• I don't know anything about them. But is this something they could follow up with a fetal echo to determine better? My husband has a heart condition so we are having one in a few weeks. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I asked my ob if there was any kind of follow up we'd do and she said other than taking a peak later on in a Sono there wasn't. Since it's not any kind of a heart condition or issue, they don't worry about it. The only thing we can choose to do if we want is the screen for downs which my husband and I decided we do want to do. 
    BabyFruit Ticker