July 2017 Moms
Options

July 2017 baby name ideas

Re: July 2017 baby name ideas

• Options
    I always liked Katherine with the nickname Kate, but I hadn't thought about Catherine and Cate. I actually think I like that more @mrscate88 !
    The only downside is having to spell it for people (if you care about that). Everyone equates the nickname with a K, so if you want it spelled correctly, you have to spell it out for people. Which is no big deal to me. I love my name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Kate and Cate!
  • Options
    @mrscate88 DD's middle name is Catherine after my grandma.  That is definitely my favorite spelling and I love it as a first and middle name!

We had definite boy and girl names and now I'm rethinking and over analyzing everything!  I think we are tabling the convo until the anatomy scan.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Xath said:
    @GlitterFish. Harrison Ford will support your choice; Sean Connery will not.

LOL!!! That's literally my favorite line of that film!
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    ams512 said:
    I can always come up with girl names it was super hard for us to agree on a boy name. 

We're naming him Cameron Lee, we will call him Cam. Lee is my grandfather's name, it's pretty special since he pretty much helped my mom raise me. DD walks around randomly touching my belly and singing Cameron Lee. Heart melting.
    OMG that's the cutest thing.
  • Options
    @mj8215, how about Malachi ?

Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    I like Michael @mj8215 and I actually don't think its nearly as common as it was when I was growing up.  I say go for it!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I like Michael @mj8215 and I actually don't think its nearly as common as it was when I was growing up.  I say go for it!
    I completely agree. I don't think Michael is as popular anymore, though it will always be a more common name because of it's beautiful religious roots. I think it's a great name, and the tribute to your grandfather is beautiful, and the potential nickname MJ is very cute! 
  • Options
    I think we have the boys names paired down pretty well but arep completely stuck on girl names. Same thing happened last time so I figure we're having another girl. Lol
  • Options
    @mj8215 I had the same conversation with my husband (his dad's name was Michael and he died when my husband was 14). At first, I thought it was way too common as well. But I've been working with kids for a long time, and I honestly don't remember the last time I met a Michael over 14-15. It's not as common as it was. If you love it and it's meaningful to you, go for it! Also someone mentioned the NN MJ which is also adorable, or Misha after your grandfather. I think names are always more beautiful when we have positive memories/stories attached to them, but that's just my opinion.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @mj8215 we named DS after my beloved grandfather! I can totally relate. And I am so sorry for your loss. I think it's an awesome tribute to name your son for him.

Ok, now my long "I can relate" habit:

My Grandpa passed away a few weeks before we learned I was pregnant with DS. The really cool thing is DS has so many of Grandpa's characteristics. It's fun to recognize that and be able to keep his spirit alive by talking about that. 

One thing I wasn't prepared for: the first month, it was really hard for me and everyone in the family to say the baby's name. Even though everyone loved that we used it (especially Grandma). After a month, the name took its own connotation for DS. I think it's still hard for some of the relatives who don't interact with DS that much. (It's not a bad thing, and I wouldn't change his name for $100 million, literally. Just wasn't something I'd considered.)
  • Options
    cssme13 said:
    I finally got DH to agree to Zoe for our girl name. We are the worst at girl names and I am almost positive this baby is a girl so it's been a struggle. Last night I suggested Chloe to him and he said "well what about Zoe?" Guess he didn't remember that he vetoed that name multiple times right after my BFP but I'm not going to remind him.
    How funny! My DH has mentioned Chloe and Zoe, I vetoed Chloe but said, "let's wait until we find out on the 30th!" Lol I was like okay to Zoe but we miiiiight not even need a girl name. Haha 
  • Options
    chiquita928chiquita928 member
    edited January 2017
    It's funny - the boy name was easy.  The girl name is the same one we had for DS, but the closer we get to 20 weeks, the more nervous I'm getting.  I think I suddenly don't love the name anymore.

Edited because apparently I need to edit everything in order to sound coherent these days.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies @sassenach1743, @notachanski, @supermom83, @yanchuss, @virginiaunicorn11, for your thoughtful comments!! Really appreciate all of you!

I think we will go for Michael! You guys are right, it's not going to be nearly as common in our kids' generation. And I agree it makes a name more beautiful when it has that meaning. My name goes back to my grandmother's sister, who was named after their grandfather, and that's really special to me.
    Sassenach, Malachi is a great name too but doesn't have the "right" ring to it for me personally (although I like it in theory lol). 

@virginiaunicorn11 I'm so sorry for your loss! All these emotions at once, the sadness that they don't get to meet each other, but also the gratitude to do something so meaningful in your grandfather's memory...  After reading your story I am so emotional thinking about how hard it will be but also how beautiful that our sons will grow up learning about their great-grandfathers and .... I'm lacking the right words right now...sorry... you know what I mean...
  • Options
    Do you guys think it's comforting to name after someone whose passed away? My husbands step mother of 20+ years, Kristyn, died very suddenly 4 years ago (like he spoke to her around 7am and she passed at home while doing laundry around noon) and he thinks it would be way too hard on his dad-the widower. I think it would be so meaningful but I don't want to push.. she was such an incredible woman and I think it would be a huge honor to name our daughter after her. thoughts?  
  • Options
    Do you guys think it's comforting to name after someone whose passed away? My husbands step mother of 20+ years, Kristyn, died very suddenly 4 years ago (like he spoke to her around 7am and she passed at home while doing laundry around noon) and he thinks it would be way too hard on his dad-the widower. I think it would be so meaningful but I don't want to push.. she was such an incredible woman and I think it would be a huge honor to name our daughter after her. thoughts?  
    YES! I think it's a beautiful way to remember someone and pass along the namesake legacy. 
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 DD's middle name (so kinda different, since we don't use it all the time) is Dawn after the woman who basically raised DH and passed almost a year to the day she was born.

We didn't tell her husband/sons ahead of time, and it was SO special sharing the name with them. They all cried and it was really emotional, but they have said so many times how special it is to have her be named after her.

Just my opinion but I think names with meaning and to honor someone are really special!
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 I think that probably varies from person to person.  Maybe propose it to your husband's dad.  Regardless of what he says, he would probably really appreciate that you: (a) thought of it in the first place; and (b) thought to ask for his blessing/opinion. 
  • Options
    nktrodden826nktrodden826 member
    edited January 2017
    @LuLiLaEv exactly what I needed to hear! I want that moment!! 

@Twinkiedoll good point- thanks! 
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 If the actual name Kristyn is too close to home for them, you could consider another "Kris" name such as Krista, Kristina, Kristal.  I think it's nice to honor people who have passed away but I agree that you want your family to be comfortable.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment. Sorry! I'm named after my grandmother whom I've never met. She passed away before I was born. I've never liked it. I wish my parents had given me my own name and not the identity of someone else. Naming a child to help remember someone else is a lot to put on a kid. I completely understand this may be a UO, but these are just my thoughts as someone named after a passed relative. 
  • Options
    @JulyBaby17 that's an excellent point. And precisely why I wanted honest, unbiased opinions! Thank you! 

@OperaSingerMommy that's a great idea too! 
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 My family doesn't have this tradition so this is just an opinion - but I think it is common enough practice to generally be considered a positive thing.  However, as pointed out previously it may be emotional uttering the name when the forebearer is recently departed because.. well..  memories.. and feelings.  I wonder if it would help to have a nickname at the ready.  'We named her Alexis after grandma but we call her Lexie".  This may help create at least some initial separation though I don't know if it will help with the nonsingular identity issue @julybaby17 mentioned.
  • Options
    We're team blue and are thinking Luke, not Lucas. MIL and her family are not native English speakers and are big on easy to pronounce and spell first names.  DH also thinks this is the way to go.  He strongly wants the kid to just have one name that's used everywhere instead of a nickname.  (His sister is just Jill, not Jillian).  I'm not opposed, but haven't thought it through.  Anyone have experience? Objections?
  • Options
    theweevee said:
    We're team blue and are thinking Luke, not Lucas. MIL and her family are not native English speakers and are big on easy to pronounce and spell first names.  DH also thinks this is the way to go.  He strongly wants the kid to just have one name that's used everywhere instead of a nickname.  (His sister is just Jill, not Jillian).  I'm not opposed, but haven't thought it through.  Anyone have experience? Objections?
    I will say I have a cousin who names her son Luke and she regrets it because EVERYONE says "oh is that short for Lucas" and she has to say "no, it's just Luke" constantly. Just something to think about. 
  • Options
    @theweevee I'm just Jill, not Jillian. Never gave it a second thought. I haven't gotten many "is your full name Jillian?" in my life to be honest. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    theweeveetheweevee member
    edited January 2017
    @nktrodden826 & @dancegurl1118 that's exactly what I'm worried about.  I don't think people necessarily think Jillian/Jill but lots of people think Lucas/Luke. @nktrodden826 do you mind if I ask what part of the country your cousin is in?  Just wondering if it is regional at all.
  • Options
    @theweevee she's in DC! 
  • Options
    megandchasemegandchase member
    edited January 2017
    @theweevee my bf's husbands name is Lucas and they named their son Luke. I like just Luke and don't think of it as just a nickname. I've also had a student named just Luke. I honestly like it more than Lucas. 
  • Options
    @theweevee my son's name is Lucas.  We had the same debate and named him 24 hours after he was born...  I love Luke - it's a bible name - no introduction or associations needed as far as I'm concerned.  My husband liked the idea of Luke being a shortened version of Lucas - I guess so there are options??  We call him Lukey.  My vote is Luke by itself - especially if like us you have a long last name or are thinking of a longer middle name.  I'm biased though - I love both names.

Jillian is on our current running list of girls names - why does it seem like many of us have similar ideas lol?  
  • Options
    @nktrodden826 I have a cousin who was born 4 months after my mom passed and was named after her. I think what's upsetting about that name is my aunt never asked any of my moms kids if we had ever planned on using the name, she just used it. We are a very close family so two people with the same name doesn't necessarily work too well. I resorted to using my moms name as my DD's middle name and my brother plans to do the same if he ever has another girl. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    theweevee said:
    We have a Max, not Maximus just Max and we are asked constantly if it is short for anything but I love his name regardless. I also have a nephew named Luke and I think it's a super cute name!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Married: 05/26/2012

DS Born Happy and Healthy via C-section: 10/04/2013

Natural M/C: 07/08/2014

DD Born Happy and Healthy via Emergency C-section: 06/30/2015

BFP #4: 11/15/2016

EDD: 7/27/2017

• Options
    I know two Lukes and one Max and none of the parents are really concerned about explaining their names to people, but don't listen to me, I thought naming after someone was super sweet, lol 
  • Options
    My first name is after my maternal grandmother who was deceased for seven years by the time I was born. I've gone by my middle name since I was born. Even though I never met my grandmother, I love having her name because it gives me a connection to her that I otherwise may not have. However, going by my middle name gave me some individuality within our family.

Also, having a family name as a first name and going by a middle or nickname is very common in the south. Most of my friends go by their middle names. 
  • Options
    @theweevee my son's name is Lucas.  We had the same debate and named him 24 hours after he was born...  I love Luke - it's a bible name - no introduction or associations needed as far as I'm concerned.  My husband liked the idea of Luke being a shortened version of Lucas - I guess so there are options??  We call him Lukey.  My vote is Luke by itself - especially if like us you have a long last name or are thinking of a longer middle name.  I'm biased though - I love both names.

Jillian is on our current running list of girls names - why does it seem like many of us have similar ideas lol?  
    The name debate in the hospital haha! My best friend wanted to name her son Jacob, her husband wanted just Jake. He filled out the paperwork for baby's name in the hospital, and he just put Jake...so when he left the room, my friend added the letters UB to the end of his name, so that his legal name would be Jakeub...seriously! 

I also like just Luke, no need for it to be a nickname.