December 2016 Moms

Premature Birth/NICU Love Club

1235»

Re: Premature Birth/NICU Love Club

• @MBS2016 we are doing okay. DS is still in the hospital for insufficient oral feeds (day 25!!). I'm so over it but we finally have a plan to get him home- didn't happen until now because they like to wait until baby's due date (Which was 12/31). We will be moving back to then original hospital location and they will do a "swallow study" to make sure that when he eats he is not aspirating liquid into his lungs and he will also be seen by a geneticist to consider any underlying issues (he has already had one genetic testing that came back normal). OT has ruled out most physical issues. I personally think that his nasogastric tube bothers him a lot, along with his original experiences immediately after birth- but of course they swear that couldn't be the case (my Google searches have told me otherwise- including legit research). After he has those tests, it's likely he will get a gastrointestinal tube placed (Which sounds scary but it's pretty minor) and then they will take out the other tube and he can COME HOME and I can find my own therapist to work with him and get it figured out.

We are very frustrated and exhausted. I worry about him constantly because he doesn't fuss a lot so I don't think he gets much attention from the nurses. We try to be there as much as possible and to have other people (grandparents) there to be with him, but with another baby and toddler at home, there is never enough time.

DD2 is doing great, on the other hand, eats tons and is now used to getting hauled around everywhere- poor girl.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ea301 you can absolutely use your facebook account. If you know any other dads looking for a forum please invite them to send me a message on facebook and we will add them. Hopefully we can find enough dads to make this work! 
    Me: 35 Husband: 40
    TTC #2: Jan 2019
     DS: 2.5 yo 
     EDD: 12/2/16 DOB: 10/22/16
    (Previously MBS2016 Dec 2016 board
    <3         <3 
  • Loading the player...
  • Toller said:
    @MBS2016 we are doing okay. DS is still in the hospital for insufficient oral feeds (day 25!!). I'm so over it but we finally have a plan to get him home- didn't happen until now because they like to wait until baby's due date (Which was 12/31). We will be moving back to then original hospital location and they will do a "swallow study" to make sure that when he eats he is not aspirating liquid into his lungs and he will also be seen by a geneticist to consider any underlying issues (he has already had one genetic testing that came back normal). OT has ruled out most physical issues. I personally think that his nasogastric tube bothers him a lot, along with his original experiences immediately after birth- but of course they swear that couldn't be the case (my Google searches have told me otherwise- including legit research). After he has those tests, it's likely he will get a gastrointestinal tube placed (Which sounds scary but it's pretty minor) and then they will take out the other tube and he can COME HOME and I can find my own therapist to work with him and get it figured out.

We are very frustrated and exhausted. I worry about him constantly because he doesn't fuss a lot so I don't think he gets much attention from the nurses. We try to be there as much as possible and to have other people (grandparents) there to be with him, but with another baby and toddler at home, there is never enough time.

DD2 is doing great, on the other hand, eats tons and is now used to getting hauled around everywhere- poor girl.
    I don't want to get all involved in your business and suppose medical solutions BUT my son was in the NICU for 62 days, mostly for feeding issues, and it wasn't until he ripped out his own tube that he took his bottles more. He had ripped it out before but wasn't feeding much then so we didn't notice. But once that sucker was gone I begged them to let it stay out and he came home within the week after, eating 2 ounces per bottle. I fully believe it hindered his progress. To put it back in is no fun, but it changed the game for him and might be worth exploring for you. 

Just throwing that out there. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @MBS2016 I sent you a PM--my DH would like to be added to the dad group! :)
  • @PensiveCrayon I literally had tears in my eyes when I read your update on FB.  I am so beyond happy to hear the initial report on the MRI.  Continuing to send my strength and love to all of you. Can't wait to read that the results are 'normal', officially!  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @PensiveCrayon what great news!  I'm so happy for you and your family!

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• dmontgodmontgo member
    edited January 2017
    @PensiveCrayon So happy to hear this! What a positive turnaround! Continued thoughts for your family!
  • @PensiveCrayon that is amazing news, I am so happy for you that my eyes are leaking. Happy hugs!!! Way to go Ambrose! He is the little engine that could  <3

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• That's great Pensive!
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• Amazing news!!

Me: 39 DH: 36
    Married: Sept 2018
    DS: December 2016
    #2 EDD Feb 2020

BabyFruit Ticker

• @PensiveCrayon that is wonderful to hear!

Pregnancy Ticker 

• Ooohhh, what wonderful news!!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker