July 2017 Moms

Baby carriers.

I hope this is okay.. I don't really understand the rules on discussions and the last time I was on a board it was free flowing, so please delete if it's not.

Stm, and had an evenflo carrier the first time that she didn't really use. Having a toddler, I feel like I need to spend the money to get a good one for #2.

What is your favorite baby wearing piece?

Re: Baby carriers.

• Hi! Welcome! Sorry if the read this first thread was confusing. It wasn't meant to be. We are just trying to keep this board organized, and not full of individual posts. Generally speaking if you have a question (like yours) and can't find it anywhere feel free to post it, if it should be it's own thread (like yours :)). If you aren't sure if it should be posted by itself you can always post it on the randoms and pregnancy chatter threads that get started at the beginning of each week.

With all that being said I can't wait to read some of these responses! FTM here and am trying to find what are the best carriers/wraps to use! I have been looking at the Katan right now.
  • I completely recommend trying them on and with a baby in it. I also find that it's hard to be a one wrap person. I personally love ring slings and soft structured carriers like Ergo or Lilleybaby. 

EDD: 13/07/2017
    PAIF/PgAL
  • Loading the player...
  • I love to baby wear! Big fan of Ergo, Moby, ring slings, and bity bean! (I was never in to paying crazy prices for tula or other carriers like that, but they are amazing!!!) Baby wearing is a life saver!!! With my first he never settled until he was in a carrier and with my second i could not keep up with DS#1 unless DS#2 was worn! I still wear my kiddos!!!!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• @osucma i would caution against ktan, i had one for a min but it hurt my back so much!!! All the weight is on your shoulders, and my kiddo was 10lbs!!!! The Moby is similar wrap style, but distributes the weight evenly so you dont feel pulling...

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• @jsweet do they let you just try them on in store? (sorry if that's a dumb question)
  • thatcmathatcma member
    edited November 2016
    @kfdecarie thanks! That is really helpful to know. I only have 2 friends that have children and neither of them have experience with baby wearing.

ETA: my big thing was I liked the idea of a wrap, but not a full fledged wrap.
  • They totally do let you try stuff on!!! I used a baby doll to practice with, so you get an idea!!! Also you tube is amazing! :-)

Baby Dust To All!!!

• @osucma of course!!! I am a huge advocate of baby-wearing! I could never carry the car seat around, and my boys nursed so much, that we figured out how to do that in the carriers and life just got better and better!!! :-)

Baby Dust To All!!!

• jsweet-2jsweet-2 member
    edited November 2016
    osucma said:
    @jsweet do they let you just try them on in store? (sorry if that's a dumb question)
    they do but lack the babies... I recommend attending a babywearing international meeting because people are very helpful and often will let you try with a baby! Maybe a little later in the pregnancy...

eta typos...
    PAIF/PgAL
  • I feel like I'd get lost with a sling and lose my baby lol. I liked the look of the ktan. It seems a lot easier to put together. Like I said, ours was $15 so I feel I need to put more thought into this one. Thanks for the response guys
  • I loved my ktan & wraps when my lo was small but once she got four months or so we upgraded stop a soft she'll carrier (we went with a lille baby) and it was amazing. I'm using it right now actually, I'm typing this on the bus home from my doctors appt. I don't drive so I wanted something that would be way to use for a lot of bus commuting. It's perfect
  • I liked my moby for the brand new newborn stage, and then transferred to the ergo 360. I still use it with my Nov14 babe. It's super helpful, especially when I had 2U2
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• i actually really loved my ergo, though I can't compare because I never used anything else.  I was telling my husband the other day i'm excited to get up in the attic and find it!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • The K'tan was inexpensive and useful for a few months. I'm glad I had it. We then used an Infantino mei tai carrier for a while (also good and easy to use) before getting the LilleBaby, which we LOVE. My husband is reluctant to admit how much more comfortable it is than the external frame backpack he was so excited about. I do also have a Boba wrap and I found it comfortable, but it wasn't more comfortable enough (if that makes sense) to be worth the extra effort in wrapping. 
  • MrsN092714MrsN092714 member
    edited November 2016
    I liked my k'tan for the very little stage and kind of as an intro to baby wearing.  I loved my moby for when he was little but my boy grew fast and before I knew it he was to heavy (although it will still be my go to for a newborn) A good soft structure carrier is great especially for pretty much everything.  I have a boba I love and may splurge on a tula for this babe!  my ring sling is my go to for quick ups.  I never used it for the newborn stage but love it for my 1 year old (although after awhile he gets heavy, great for popping in and out of) and am so excited to try it with a newbie!  I also have a woven which is definitely a learned skill and a love for baby wearing.  it's awesome but it's not fast, especially when your still learning.  but it does distribute weight nicely and the positions and ties are endless!

ETA please take hip health into consideration while buying or wrapping.  Froggy when they are little and knee to knee once they are a little bigger.  no crotch danglers!
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• I carried my first in a Moby, until I discover the Beco for my second...now I am in love! I'll do the Beco again this time!  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited November 2016
    A lot of people complain about the Moby's difficulty of assembly. Around the house, I loved it, but t was dofficult in the parking lot, especially if my husband wasn't around, to get it on and squared away and then get into the store and it has to be re wrapped each time. Again, though - around the house, it was a lifesaver, and I'll definitely be using mine again.

Out and about, I have a friend who swears by the Kinderpack. They can be hard to get a hand on, but they're fabulous for infants and incredibly comfortable and supportive. Once baby gets a little older, I swear by my Tula. I'll never go back. I have upper thoracic scoliosis as well as a herniated L5-S1 disc and a rotated sacrum and pelvis that causes my SI joints to grind on each other. It adds up to a lot of back problems. I have done 5+ mile hikes with my 25lb son on my back with no problems what so ever. He also has no issues sleeping in it. Complete devotee over here.

ETA: I loudly second @MrsN092714 about the leg positioning. If you are not familiar with what she is talking about, please read up on safe positions for baby's hip development of you are wearing them. It's very, very important, and an easy mistake to make of you don't know any better.
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • BonbonpawBonbonpaw member
    edited November 2016
    I tried Baby Bjorn and Moby for my 1st DD. Hated the Bjorn, it was awkward for both of us. I loved the moby for the first 3 months but once DD started being more active it didn't work as well. With DS we used the ergo and loved it. Worked great, did cause my back to get sore if I was carring for too long. I got a Tula for 2nd DD and it's my favorite out of them all! I'm thinking of trying a kinderpack since I've heard wonderful things about them. I'm also interested in the Onya baby but need to do more research. 
  • I swear by my Mei Tai Babyhawk. It's a soft carrier, but padded straps, I love it. 
  • I've bought all my carriers on eBay. Got a barely used ergobaby for $40 I think. I don't baby wear that much so i dont need brand new carriers with a lot of miles left on them. 

I swear by my ergobaby bc someone gave me one and I just got so familiar with it. Then I broke a buckle and bought one on eBay and that one was even nicer. 

I also have a moby wrap and find it super comfortable for a newborn. But it is hard to get on. I put it on and then drive to the mall or wherever then put baby in and tightened. 

I just bought a baby ktan. So far I'm not impressed as all the weights on my shoulders and it's hard to get the straps smooth after baby's in. I'm hoping it will be ok for a newborn to throw on quick. 

I want to get a woven wrap but I can't justify the cost for how little I'll use it when I have the ergo. 
  • i remember not liking the bjorn and couldn't get a handle on the moby and I feel like my daughter was always too big for the ring sling (she was 10 lbs12oz at birth). By the time I found something I liked, she was big enough for the ergo with a newborn insert - and we LOVED it!!! We used that ergo until she was maybe 2.5 yo I think 
  • I loved my Tula with my boys but now Ergo has come out with a carrier that you don't need an infant insert which I think is going to be awesome with a summer baby since an infant insert might make baby hot

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• oh and a ring sling or baby k'tan when they are tiny :smile:

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• shmarplershmarpler member
    edited November 2016
    I'm lurking from the June board. I borrowed a sling when my daughter was tiny, and while it was ok for situations like church, it became uncomfortable as all of her weight was on one shoulder. Because of this, I got an Infantino carrier. I liked it until she got to be about 15lbs, then it started causing shoulder fatigue in back carries, and it pinched a nerve for front carriers. A good friend of mine had both an Ergo and a Tula, and since both she and her hubby preferred the Tula, that is what I choose. I've worn my 15 month old hiking and in crowded public areas with comfort. While it is very similar to the Ergo, the panel is a little longer, and the padding is more dense, which (I think) makes it more comfortable, but essentially it comes down to how you are built, and personal preference.  This time, I'm considering a Moby or a woven wrap from the tiny baby days.

If you are interested in different carriers and wraps, I'd suggest looking into a local baby wearing group.  They usually have a lending library and experienced moms who can help you find something that works for you. They are also a great resource for finding used carriers. I got my Tula through a local mom for $100. You can also check out the Facebook group Babywearing on a Budget. Anything posted there has to be listed for $100 or less. I've also seen Ergo carries on Zulilly for about $60, and youth can subdued find good deals on Craigslist and EBay.

Anywho, sorry for the long post, but good luck and happy hunting!
    Married 8/29/09
    MC: 9/14
    Goober #1 born: 8/17/15
    MC: 9/16
    Goober # 2 EDD: 6/27/17
  • I actually used my ring sling until my son was 1. I just started using different carries like hip and back. But it isn't for everyone for sure.
    PAIF/PgAL
  • This is such an interesting and helpful thread - thank you all for your insight and advice!! (It was especially welcome when I couldn't sleep from 4-5am this morning...)
    Me: 28 I MH: 27
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with PPs and would just add that it also depends some on the baby's preference. I loved the idea of wraps and slings, but my daughter disliked being swaddled at all from day one, so she hated being wrapped or carried in a sling for the first few months. It just didn't give her the freedom to wiggle and move that she preferred. So I tried out a friend's Ergo and Tula, and bought the Tula because it fit my tall frame a little better than the Ergo. My daughter loves the Tula. But she also lets me wrap her or use our ring sling once in a while now that she's bigger.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pepper16 said:
    This is such an interesting and helpful thread - thank you all for your insight and advice!! (It was especially welcome when I couldn't sleep from 4-5am this morning...)
    ^^^^^^^^ This! Lol. I feel like I am in school again because I have been jotting down what people are saying about different ones lol.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• I love my Ergo and used it a ton with DS.  I'm planning to get a Tula as well because a couple of my friends can't stop talking about how amazing they are.  I had a Moby but after watching a million videos and still not being able to figure it out I gave it away.  
  • I used the ktan early on and liked that it was easy to figure out. Once my dd was a bit bigger we switched to the beco Gemini. She loved that thing since could face in or out. We used it so much!
  • I really enjoyed the Moby wrap when ds was a newborn. He was super comfortable and he was able to sleep against my chest.  The only problem I had is the wrap is very warm and he was born in June, so this is a problem we will all be dealing with since our LOs are due in July.

Just keep an eye on their temperatures if you're using the Moby outside in the summer.
  • Thanks for all the input. I definitely do not have any groups here to try that but I did find k'tan has a used section on their website. So I'm definitely picking up one. I've tried joining the baby wear under $100 but waiting on approval still. Ugh.
  • I loved my moby with my first.  I'm concerned this time around about the temperatures like @pumpkin0913 mentioned, since my first was born in Dec and he was too big for the moby by the time the warmer weather came around.  I also had a beco butterfly which I loved a well.  DH has an Ergo from his first that I'll try out (I may borrow my niece and try that one out with her before baby comes.

I'm interested in finding a woven wrap similar to the moby that may be more lightweight for the summer.  I know they exist, I just don't know if I want to drop the $ for something that only gets used for a few months.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a Beco Gemini that I like for when baby is a bit bigger--it works in multiple positions, though I don't get creative, and can either be wider or narrower at the crotch to support baby as needed, and has head support that can be folded down to get out of the way if baby wants to look around. 

I also really liked my ring sling when DD2 was new. I can't do a sling when they get bigger though; the ergonomics just aren't there. 
  • My all-time favorite is the Boba 4G. All-around best for comfort (me and baby), and it was supportive all the way through toddlerhood. Very high quality. Great company, really attentive, and love their patterns!
  • I want something like the Moby or Solly Baby wraps but I didn't consider the fact that it's going to be summer. Temps don't get "too" outrageous where I am but it's definitely going to be hot, especially for a newborn. I would really prefer not to have something bulky, at least until LO gets too big to wrap right against my body...
  • With my other two kiddos I had a Moby, a Jellybean sling,  and a DIY woven wrap.  I loved them all,  but I also plan on looking into some other wraps/carriers for this one since I'll have a 5 year old and a 3 year old to chase after. 
    Pregnancy Ticker