July 2017 Moms
Options

Help! Gallstones

I'm not sure if this is where I should post this but I'm desperate and thought maybe some of you ladies would have some insight. So about a week ago I had excruciating pain in my upper stomach, the worst pain I've ever felt other than when having my daughter. So finally I went to the emergency room and had an ultrasound. The dr came in and told me it was gallstones and I needed to see a surgeon. 

So I made an appointment with the surgeon and she said they need to do surgery to remove my gallbladder as it will just continue to cause me more and more of these pain attacks. The problem is being that I am pregnant they will not do the surgery until I am at least 12 weeks due to risks of miscarriage. 

Im terrified. I've had a few surgeries before but never while I was pregnant. I feel like I am over reacting and the dr said she has done this surgery on plenty of pregnant women and never had any problems with mom or baby. 

Anyways sorry to blab and blab. I was just wondering if any other mommies have had problems with gallstones either while pregnant or not and what advice you could give me on getting through the next 6 weeks before the surgery. I have already started the low fat diet and cut out anything greasy or sugary and only drinking water. Thank you in advance!!

Re: Help! Gallstones

• Options
    I don't have any advice to give but I just wanted to say Hugs and best of luck for the next 6 weeks
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I also don't have any advice, but I hope all is well and you get some relief.  Hopefully some other mommies on this board can put your mind at ease.
    Me: 31 DH: 31
      <3 DS born 6/2017, became a heart angel 8/2018 <3
    CP 3/2019
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FX for you. I am sorry you are dealing with this. I do not have personal experience but I can tell you that gallbladder surgery is not that bad.
  • Options
    I don't have gallstones but have had kidney stones, and in fact was in the ER for one (possibly) on Tuesday. They're so painful and I had no idea if they'd be able to give me pain relief since I'm pregnant. I imagine gallstones are similar in that you can't really predict when the pain will hit. I'm trying to drink a ton of water, and it sounds like you're taking the right preventative steps while waiting for surgery. I totally understand your fear of the surgery while pregnant but I've heard it's a simple procedure and your doctor sounds confident, so I'd go with that! 
  • Options
    I am so sorry about this!!! I had my gallbladder removed in emergency surgery 4 weeks to the day after my CS with my first! They told me pregnancy can cause issues! So maybe thats why this happened! I can tell you its a VERY easy procedure!!! I did not even need any meds more than IBprofin! I was nursing my son, and after about 24 hours i was on my own and doing fine! The pain i had was so bad that it made the surgery easy!!! BUT I WAS AT THE END!!! My case was extreme! And i just wanted you to know its easy, and fast! And its worth it in the end.... Also i dont know if this makes a difference, but i had NO HEART BURN with my second pregnancy and i had non stop LAVA with my first! Stay strong, it will be ok!

Started TTC in 2006, LOTS of trying, and trying, and 7 rounds of IVF with 13 embryos, 2 perfect little boys and 5 loses....
    All finished with babies, started to make diet changes, Keto, to be MORE for my kids, lost 30 pounds, still going, and 3 months in, I had a natural cycle, and then ovulated... Hubs and I are going to see what happens now... Maybe a natural pregnancy? After everything we have been through? Or just a return to normal hormones? We shall see what the future holds!

Baby Dust To All!!!

• Options
    FWIW, maybe it would be good to get a second opinion?  Depending on the number of gallstones you have and the size of the gallstones, it may be possible to delay the surgery.  My personal experience is that I was told to have surgery, and the second opinion I received told me I could wait a few decades so long as I wasn't regularly having issues given the number and size of the gallstones.  That was six years ago and I still have my (relatively issue free) gallbladder.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. I am trying to get into another dr for a second opinion. But I also feel confident that the surgeon is so confident in her work as well. Now just to make it through the next six weeks and see what happens.
  • Options
    For months I've been having gastric issues and finally my dr discovered it was my gall bladder and I was scheduled for surgery on 11/8. 11/3 I took a pregnancy test and got my BFP. The surgeon wants to do it in my second trimester, but I'm hoping I can hold off until after I give birth and have the surgery while I'm still home on maternity leave. If my health or the baby'a health is in danger, I would have the surgery in the 2nd trimester but otherwise I'd rather wait. 
  • Options
    @nicole71721and @Katfish426 no advice just sending positive wishes that things work out.  Surgery while pregnant sounds terrifying - I am so so sorry you have to deal with this!
  • Options
    Please get a second opinion. Also check with homeopathic treatments. Contact your ob provider as well before proceeding with surgery

It's not always necessary.
    Good luck
  • Options
    I started to have gallstone attacks a couple months ago.  They wanted me to have surgery but I chose to try natural methods first. To initially help my pain I took a shot of equal parts of fresh lemon juice and honey.   I also added in a glass of fresh cold pressed apple juice to my diet every day as I prepared for a gallstone cleanse/ detox. The cleanse consist of drinking the apple juice for a couple days along with a gallstone friendly diet.  Then around day 5 you stop eating around noon and then drink a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice right before bed.  In the morning i was able to pass about 20 stones on my first flush. Afterwards my pain was gone unless I ate something greasy. I still continue to drink the apple juice and I rarely feel any pain even when I eat something bad. I believe I  have naturally broken up the stones by drinking the apple juice. Although I do plan on doing another flush soon to make sure I'm clear :)
  • Options
    I had my gallbladder removed a year ago at 2weeks pp. It is a laproscopic surgery, super easy. 
  • Options
    I had my gallbladder removed in April. The attacks were so horrendous, so much worse than labor! It took me several days after my surgery before I was feeling normal again, but it was worth it. I've read some scary things about doing natural gallbladder flushes, so I opted to go the surgical route and I'm pretty glad I did.
    Jenn, mama to Big K (6/05) and Little K (5/07) and stepmama to Midde K (11/05)
    BabyFruit Ticker