June 2017 Moms

HG mamas

Curious to know if there are any other mamas out there suffering from Hyperemesis Gravidarum?  If so, how are you doing?  Is your doc taking you seriously and have you found any safe foods/drinks?  Any meds working for you?

Im currently 10 weeks with baby #2.  Luckily the HG has not been as severe in this pregnancy as with my last (knock on wood).  I'm on 4 anti-nausea medications right now and after 4.5 straight weeks of vomiting all day everyday, and several rounds of IV fluids, I'm having a fluffy day and was able to eat a little this morning!  I've also found that unsweetened Iced tea is my safe drink for now since I can't stomach water or Gatorade.

Anyway, just wanted to say hope you are all doing ok.  We are hopefully almost out of the worst weeks and will be on to a little bit better days soon.   Hang in there mamas!

Re: HG mamas

• Man I don't have it but I am so sorry you do. 
  • I had HG with my first pregnancy and my doctor did not take me seriously until I had lost nearly 20 pounds. Luckily I'm just having "normal" morning sickness this time. My thoughts are with you for sure. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had HG with my first pregnancy and my doctor did not take me seriously until I had lost nearly 20 pounds. Luckily I'm just having "normal" morning sickness this time. My thoughts are with you for sure. 
    Sorry to hear your Dr. didn't take you seriously, but I'm so glad you don't have it this time around!  My Dr. has been great, so I'm very thankful for that.  It's still been a rough ride though!
  • I had HG with my first pregnancy, wasnt really taken seriously despite losing lots of weight. Kinda just told to eat more and get on with it, despite numerous ER trips for dehydration (can I just say that IV fluids are like the best thing ever? Seriously, always instantly made me feel better..). It was kind of a weird ride with my OB office, since my original OB left during my pregnancy and I had to see a last minute replacement for a while before getting yet a new OB, who was the new hire. Not very fun, never felt taken very seriously because of it, and each just repeated "you need to eat more" ugh.

So far, I'm throwing up, often, but I can keep gatorade down, and I can eat small bits at night. So Im hoping I can get away with just plain ol boring morning sickness this time.

So sorry youre having to deal with HG. Its no walk in the park for sure.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had what I thought was severe morning sickness with nausea, vomiting, weight loss, dehydration with my twins and now this time around.

First time I was at a midwifery practice and was put on Zofran which helped but I still didn't give well however the dehydration issue resolved.

This time I'm at a new practice and I am on diclegis... 1 morning, 1 lunch, and 2 bedtime.  it works so much better than Zofran without the terrible GI side effects.  My OB said something and I realized later on the patient portal... he notated my file as HG for this pregnancy... but it makes sense now because I was experiencing severe nausea again (like debilitating can't stand or sit up), vomiting, dry heaving was a lovely addition for this pregnancy, weight loss of 8 pounds in 5 days, and extreme dehydration.

I'm doing a lot better and seemed to stay with saltines, bread, and gatorade for the first 5 days of diclegis but now I just eat whatever sounds or seems palatable in the moment.  Some days nothing sounds good so I just eat small bland snacks but other days my body knows exactly what it wants.  All weight is back on...
  • Kelliek327Kelliek327 member
    edited November 2016
    I had what I thought was severe morning sickness with nausea, vomiting, weight loss, dehydration with my twins and now this time around.

First time I was at a midwifery practice and was put on Zofran which helped but I still didn't give well however the dehydration issue resolved.

This time I'm at a new practice and I am on diclegis... 1 morning, 1 lunch, and 2 bedtime.  it works so much better than Zofran without the terrible GI side effects.  My OB said something and I realized later on the patient portal... he notated my file as HG for this pregnancy... but it makes sense now because I was experiencing severe nausea again (like debilitating can't stand or sit up), vomiting, dry heaving was a lovely addition for this pregnancy, weight loss of 8 pounds in 5 days, and extreme dehydration.

I'm doing a lot better and seemed to stay with saltines, bread, and gatorade for the first 5 days of diclegis but now I just eat whatever sounds or seems palatable in the moment.  Some days nothing sounds good so I just eat small bland snacks but other days my body knows exactly what it wants.  All weight is back on...
    Glad you are doing better!  How far along are you?  I've lost 18 lbs in 3 weeks (and am very thin to begin with) so I have to go in tomorrow for a weight check.  If I'm still losing weight they may hospitalize me, but luckily I've had a good day and been able to eat so I'm hoping I'm starting to come out of the woods!  I'm on Zofran, Diclegis, Phenergan, and Reglan currently.  The Reglan seems most effective for me so far.

ETA- I know what you mean about the Zofran GI side effects!  Sometimes I think it's worse than pushing a baby out!
  • MelMel92 said:
    I had HG with my first pregnancy, wasnt really taken seriously despite losing lots of weight. Kinda just told to eat more and get on with it, despite numerous ER trips for dehydration (can I just say that IV fluids are like the best thing ever? Seriously, always instantly made me feel better..). It was kind of a weird ride with my OB office, since my original OB left during my pregnancy and I had to see a last minute replacement for a while before getting yet a new OB, who was the new hire. Not very fun, never felt taken very seriously because of it, and each just repeated "you need to eat more" ugh.

So far, I'm throwing up, often, but I can keep gatorade down, and I can eat small bits at night. So Im hoping I can get away with just plain ol boring morning sickness this time.

So sorry youre having to deal with HG. Its no walk in the park for sure.
    That's frustrating that you weren't taken seriously.  I hear so many stories similar to yours from other HG mamas.  I'm lucky my Dr was great and diagnosed me right away with my 1st pregnancy,  otherwise I wouldn't have known what HG was.  I was sick all 40 weeks that time and don't think I would have made it if they had just told me to eat more!
  • I had really bad all day sickness with my first to the point I lost 10-15lbs I was put on diclectin and it was the only thing to help me. Now I am non stop nausea. Im basically terrified to get sick I'm scared if I start it won't stop and we have moved so we have no family or friends to help near by and my husbands job takes him away for days at a time. I'm hoping to get my midwife appt soon so I can get diclectin.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had really bad all day sickness with my first to the point I lost 10-15lbs I was put on diclectin and it was the only thing to help me. Now I am non stop nausea. Im basically terrified to get sick I'm scared if I start it won't stop and we have moved so we have no family or friends to help near by and my husbands job takes him away for days at a time. I'm hoping to get my midwife appt soon so I can get diclectin.
    Sorry to hear that, hope you don't get sick this time either.  How far along are you?  I had to have my mom come into town for both of my husbands business trips.  I wouldn't have made it without her!
    Sorry to hear that, hope you don't get sick this time either.  How far along are you?  I had to have my mom come into town for both of my husbands business trips.  I wouldn't have made it without her!
    I'm 9 weeks today. Basically taking it one day at a time, I wake up and put peppermint oil on my neck I have hard candies all over lol and also lemon oil to smell, I also put the peppermint oil on before bed. Only been able to eat like pasta and toast,cereal,subs and potatoes
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Sorry for the late reply...must have been sick ;) I'm super sick and looked high and low for something so that I wouldn't have to take anything. A friend gave me a recipe for these lemon ginger ice cubes.  I think you are supposed to put them in your water but I suck on them all day long and they are amazing.  I feel like when I'm not sucking on them I feel sick.  Here's the recipe:  3/4 fresh squeezed lemons; 3/4 cup of water; 1/4 cup of honey, 2 tablespoons of ginger.  I puree it in my nutra bullet and then pour it into ice cube trays.  Then bag the cubes.  I know it sounds weird, but I swear they work. If anyone try's them and they work for you, let me know.   Also there is something about having a cold ice cube in my mouth that seems to trick my body.  Outside of that I can only eat bland stuff and I try to drink bone both just to keep some healthy liquid in me.  Lastly I go to acupuncture once a week and that helps me for at least the day after and then I'm back again.  And I'm 11w, 2d.
  • I had severe vomiting and nausea leading to dehydration weeks 7  and 8. The diclegis took about 4 days to start working and after an IV I've been able to eat so much more now. I went from vomiting 3 to 4 times a day to 1 to 2 times a week. I'm 11 weeks now and hoping I'll be feeling normal again soon.

For those of you with HG last pregnancy was it a boy or a girl? I think it's more likely to be a girl since I was so sick (this is my first pregnancy). 
  • I had a boy and was vomiting 6-10 times a day every day for the first 14ish weeks with my 1st pregnancy.  This time I'm only vomiting about 4-7 times a day so I'm convinced it's a girl since I was so much sicker with my boy!  Who knows though!
  • Has anyone had trouble getting diclegis prescriptions? My insurance denied it. I'm on the max dose of zofran right now and still vomitinf 5-8x a day.  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017