Baby Names

Estelle?...lay it on me...

KipperooKipperoo member
edited November 2016 in Baby Names
Husband and I are still going the rounds trying to find a good girl name that we like. Right now, the front runner is Estelle and  I'd love some opinions and possibly other suggestions, especially if you hate it (and please be brutally honest)...son's name is Sullivan, so obviously looking for good flow with that. Last name is a single syllable, no clue on middle name yet. 

Name requirements:
-Not hard to spell
-Not a lot of different spellings (I'm a Kristin and the amount of different ways to spell it has always driven me crazy)
-Not too common, definitely not in the top 100, preferably not in the top 200
-Doesn't start with an S (not a huge fan of alliteration)
-ETA: Not a made up name. :-) 

Other names we have considered but have been nixed/fallen behind Estelle for various reasons: Juliet, Celine, Harriet, Greta, Celeste.

Thanks all-knowing name community! You guys have fabulous suggestions and advice! :-) 
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Estelle?...lay it on me...

• I love Estelle!

Not super popular everyone knows it it's classy and offers options of a nn

• Love Estelle. I think it's beautiful and classic. Suggesting 

Genevieve
    Fiona
    Evangeline
    Bernadette

• Loading the player...
  • I like Estelle! I second a PP with adding Genevieve to the list as well
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Estelle. Classic but not common. Beautiful name. I super love Celeste too.
  • Personally, I dont like Estelle. But! A friend of mine just had boy/girl twins and named her daughter Estelle. Maybe it's making a comeback. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really love Estelle. It's beautiful.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • I like Estelle but Stella has really risen in popularity so she may end up having classmates with a similar name.

Juliet is my favorite on your list.
  • All I think of is Joey's agent Estelle on Friends.  lol.  I kinda like it though...
    Honestly, NAF. I think of Joey's agent and can't get that out of my head so it feels very old lady to me. Which may be silly, but I'm just being honest.

I think Sullivan is adorable and don't think Estelle goes very well with it.

FWIW I love Juliet!

Suggesting:
    Colleen
    Maeve
    Maren
    Cassidy

Also like Fiona and Genevieve as PPs suggested

Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Love Estelle, it's on our list too but I think we will use it as a middle name.
  • There's nothing wrong with Estelle but it is NMS. My faves from your list are Juliet and Celeste.
  • I like it! 

Suggesting: Cecilia, Daphne, Violet, Louisa, Paloma, Ophelia, Phoebe, Hazel, Florence. 

Good luck & congrats! 
  • I love Estelle!

Suggestions:

Josephine
    Elizabeth
    Mabel
    Judith
    Florence

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • I prefer most of your nixed names to Estelle but I wouldn't side-eye it if I heard it in real life. It goes nicely with Sullivan.
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the feedback!! The Joey's agent thing from Friends was initially a sticking point with the hubs, but I think he's past it. I'm going to add a couple of these suggestions to the list! We've still got a while, but with my son the naming process seemed so much quicker and smoother. I don't know why a girl seems so hard! 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Estelle is NMS, but there is nothing wrong with the name. Suggesting Lucy, Evelyn, and Ivy. 
  • I always used to think old lady too but when I picture it on a little girl it just sounds so fresh and sweet to me. I think it's great!! Moving up on my list too. :)
  • I don't mind Estelle but there are a lot of Estelles going by the NN Stella in my kids' schools and I'm NAF of Stella at all. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • NMS at all! I keep thinking of Joey's agent on Friends. Also, for some reason it really makes me want to yell STELLA at the top of my lungs!