July 2017 Moms
Options

New OB/OB questions

Coming from the first appointment post. I moved to south Texas last year so I'm trying to find a new OB, I've researched a few and I think I've found one I might like. What questions should I be asking? I have two kids but that was 2 years ago and I can't even remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday.

Also what questions are yall asking at your first OB appointments?

Re: New OB/OB questions

• Options
    I did a Google search and these are the one I found that seemed like good questions to ask (depending on your situation).

1. Ask how much weight your OB would like you to gain during the pregnancy
    2. Do I have an increased risk of any specific complications or conditions?
    3. What screenings do I need?
    4. What kind of diet should I follow? What should I eat and drink a lot of, and what should I avoid?
    5. Should I be doing any particular kind of exercise? What kind and amount is safe?
    6. Are there any restrictions on sex throughout my pregnancy?
    7. Are there any restrictions I need to know about traveling while pregnant?
    8. Can I… Dye my hair? Use sunless tanner? Get a massage? Paint my nails? Go to the spa? Are there any changes to my beauty routine I need to make?
    9. What over-the-counter medications are safe, and in what amount? Are there any I should avoid?
    10. Are the prescription medications I’m currently taking safe? If not, what can I take or do instead? (If you take any)
    11. Which prenatal classes do you recommend?
    12. What symptoms should I expect, and how can I manage them? What’s normal, and what should I call you about?
    13. What should I do if I…Don’t feel well? Have cramping? Spotting? Run a fever?
    14. What vaccinations should I get and when?
    15. How long can I work when I'm pregnant?
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    So I've been throught most of these questions before since I've had multiple pregnancies/children. I'm looking for what I should ask an OB like about the practice and not so much pregnancy related. I will be having a repeat cs due to the first being an emergency and using a hospital that didn't allow vbacs. I've had one OB so I don't really know how to interview a new OB.

Those are good questions for FTM pregnancy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ah okay I misunderstood your question / post . Lol. Now that I have a better understanding of what you're looking for, maybe some of these will help?

1. A printable list of questions: https://assets.babycenter.com/ims/Content/ob_gyn_interview_May_2010.pdf

2. What is his / her cesarean section rate? Assisted delivery rate?

3. What kind of postpartum follow-up does he/ she give?

4. Where did you receive training?

Hopefully this is more a long the lines of what you're looking for
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The first question is not how much weight one should gain...... 
    Maybe more pertinent medical questions should be prioritized. 

1) what tests will be performed/offered and at what gestation ? 

2) will he/she deliver you if they aren't on call ? 
    will you have a strange doc to be never met delivering you ? 

You know..... Stuff like that 
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    @klkonwi

Thanks! I didn't do any sort of prioritizing when I first posted. I just typed questions. Lol
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would ask about the size of the practice. Are you likely to see the same doctor at each appointment? Are you able to predict or choose which doctor will deliver?

Ask how repeat CS are normally handled. Will they schedule you at 39 weeks?

What hospital will you deliver at? Maybe schedule a hospital tour early if the hospital might be a deciding factor in choosing a doctor. 
  • Options
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    Do you still have contact with your old OB? Good relationship with him/her? He or she might be a good source of the types of questions to ask based on your specific history. You could also ask him or her for specific OB recommendations in your area.
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~