December 2016 Moms

TGIF 10/27

It's Friday enough...
What kinds of spooky things are you getting into this weekend?

Pregnancy Ticker
Mother of an April '15 baby
Due December 16

Re: TGIF 10/27

• DS's daycare is doing a halloween party so even though he normally doesn't go on Fridays, I'm going to take him for the party. It will be cute!!!

Saturday a friend is throwing me and another friend a baby celebration (we're both 2nd timers so not a shower) and then in the evening we have a kid-friendly halloween party.

On Sunday my cousin is having a 1st birthday party/halloween party for her daughter and on Monday I'll leave from work early to meet up with DH and take DS to trick or treat in town - main street closes and the shops all hand out candy.

And then I hope November goes by super quickly. October wasn't so bad.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • We have our labor and delivery class on Sunday from 9-4.  It sounds so long to me so I'm hoping we get some good information and it's not painfully boring... other than that we don't have any plans.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm hopefully buying a car. We've looked at a bunch of stuff, I've got my financing in order, and I think I know which car I want - just hoping it turns out to be good in person too. It's a huge item on our pre-baby to do list so I'll be really glad to have it done! Other than that, probably some more baby related stuff - packing hospital bags, etc. And figuring out our budget while I'm on leave. I have a mix of short-term disability that will pay 60% of my salary, then 4 weeks fully paid, then 4 weeks unpaid. I'll have to repay my benefits for the times I'm on short term disability and unpaid leave, plus set aside taxes from short term disability, so it's getting a little confusing what I need to have in the bank vs. what I actually will have to spend. I feel like I have a decent cushion in savings but repaying those benefits will be tough.

Time for another spreadsheet...
  • DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited October 2016
    @gowenc we had to buy a minivan to suit our 3 kids in car seats for the next 6-7 years and I got a check ready loan from my bank (PNC).  I was approved up to a certain amount and could write the check at the dealership (they overnighted it to me).  It made the process so much easier than dealing with their insane used car finance rates.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @difazette - minivans are the shit. I feel like everyone in our generation is so tempted to go with a giant SUV like a highlander or something and I'm just like... guys. Come on. Minivan.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • This is our second and last kid, and I still upgraded my car in April when I got that plus-sign! :smile:  I had a sedan and upgraded to a crossover with seven seats (the two seats in the back are miniture and can only fit older kids who don't need carseats). I LOVE IT, so much easier to get kids in a out of.
  • This weekend may be pretty chill, which I am looking forward to.

Friday (today) - work and then not sure. Maybe go out for supper with DH and watch some shows tonight. Our lame DVR failed to record Grey's last night, even though I had checked it and it was scheduled to record... so that will get streamed.

Saturday - The only thing I know of going on is supper for my BIL's 40th birthday (which was actually October 16) somewhere in town. After that, I am sure we'll go to my SIL's and watch our college alum football game that's on TV, since it's an away week. DH was hoping to get a dresser/night stand down to his dad's storage room above his office, so we can put the babies dresser in the spot it will sit. But, my FIL never responded and has basically said in the past that they have no room since they store everyone else's junk even though have talked about getting a rolling dumpster and cleaning it out. But, DH and I are are on the low end of the in-law's priority list, so, yay.

Sunday - Laundry and whatever I didn't do Saturday. Hopefully not much.

I do have some things on my own to do list for Saturday... flip out summer shoes for winter shoes (or for one's that actually fit me), organize some baby stuff now that I got more things last weekend at my second shower,  and clean out the closet in the babies room a little more to either toss or donate to make more room. Maybe get a nap in, ha.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Today I'm dropping H off at his dad's so they can go hunting all weekend. Hopefully they fill all the tags and I have Deer and Elk for the foreseeable future. This afternoon I have my 2nd shot in the second course of steroids. The test of the weekend is trying hold of labor until 24 hrs after the shot, then trying to kickstart enough contractions to dilate that .5cm to he admitted and have this baby before she gets any bigger or I lose my mind.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited October 2016
    @difazette - minivans are the shit. I feel like everyone in our generation is so tempted to go with a giant SUV like a highlander or something and I'm just like... guys. Come on. Minivan.
    I agree!  I love mine so far!  And the SUV's... if you REALLY need that 3rd row like we do the trunk becomes nearly obsolete in most models.  A minivan is what our life calls for right now, and it's totally fine.  What's funny is when people are like 'oh sweet mom-mobile'. That is correct, within 4 weeks I will be a mother of 3 children.  Since when is that something to be ashamed of? 

Pregnancy Ticker     

• @DiFazette That's exactly what we did! Got the check yesterday and will go shopping this weekend. I love PNC - so much happier since I switched from Wells Fargo.
  • I will say about mini vans... my parents had various models for YEARS, even after my sister and I were grown up and long gone. They loved that you could still use them for the room, like for moving stuff and hauling more people around. My mom traded in her last van for a smaller SUV about 6 years ago, and says that she still misses having the extra space. I always loved having my own row or seat away from my sister, ha.

DH got a new '15 Ford Explorer last year that has a 3rd row, which is nice to have.We've had people sit back there and say it's comfy. Unlike his BIL's Tahoe... that 3rd row is the MOST uncomfortable place to sit. We traveled with them recently and I told them we'd drive separate if I had to sit back there, cos there was no way I would be comfy for the hour drive we had. They ended up having me sit in one of the middle bucket seats and one of their kids got put in the back. Regardless, it's awful and pointless... for that big of a vehicle, too.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• @DiFazette @slartybartfast  I've had a Highlander for over 5 years and I love it.  But that's because it's perfect to haul a 65 lb dog who likes to spread out in the second row and we never use the third row of seats so the trunk is huge.  Throwing a car seat into the mix is going to make all of it tricky and I totally understand the need for a minivan with a second (or third) kid.  

As far as this weekend goes - errands, errands errands!  I have a long to do list and Saturday will be busy.  I'm hoping we can get everything done so Sunday can just be for yoga and football :smile:

Also knitting....  I am super behind with all of the things I'm making, so I need to make it a priority this weekend.

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• @Kacie209 not to mention that we will need 3 forward facing tethers for safety at some point.  Many of the 3 row SUV's have capitans chairs and only 1 spot that fits a forward facing seat.  Often that spot compromises the whole row, so then you essentially have a 5 seater vehicle again with little trunk space for a pretty expensive cost.  I feel like car seat placement issues aren't always thought through.

Pregnancy Ticker     

• SUV lover and proud! I've had a small SUV for years (no kids). When it craps out I fully plan on trading it in for a beast. Suburban or navigator maybe. Friends say I have "little man" syndrome but instead of needing a big truck I need my big SUV  :p I hate that they've been changing the body style of most of them to be more crossover-esque. I want my giant box car!
  • We went with an SUV. I looked, and looked, and looked. And honestly, for what we could afford, mini vans weren't much cheaper. We got a 2006 Dodge Durango for just under $10k, with only 108k miles on it, very clean. And we liked the third row seat, because IF we needed the extra passenger space, we'd have it. But honestly since we got it the third row has been folded down...which we liked for cargo/dog space. We love it!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH had a leased Civic that was up for trade in April 2017, so when that came, we were going to trade in and lease a CR-V and then I would keep my Fit. We have two dogs (50 lbs and 90 lbs) so we wanted something that would fit the dogs and a car seat, but weren't sure how many kids we wanted so leasing for 3 years and deciding a the end was the best route for us. DH's Civic had an impromptu meeting with a parking garage pillar in July and it was totaled, so we had to do the new car route sooner than planned. So now we have a leased CR-V and the Fit. Love driving the CR-V around, it's so comfy. If we decide to trade it in at the end of the lease, then we will likely get the Pilot (we're Honda people). We had a roof rack added so that we have top luggage storage for when we need it.
  • We have a volvo xc90 that will last until kid 3 is due. but adding that baby seat next to the toddler seat basically takes up the whole middle row of seats. we keep the third row down but used to occasionally drive people and use it... but I'm not sure how anyone will get back there at this point. 

DH wants a minivan so bad so when I get pregnant next time we will trade in his Kia car and he can have the minivan. we rented one on vacation and loved it. we are already saving up for it. but it wasn't financially possible this go around. but I can't wait for the minivan days! 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• To weigh in on the car talk - I have an Explorer and feel like the third row sucks for actually sitting in. There isn't much leg room at all and the seat itself is pretty narrow. While the car is good for hauling stuff, it drives like a truck, which is awkward and not very fun. If we legit needed a third row, I'd be mini-vanning it all the way. As it stands now, this car is a little too big for our needs so we'll probably downsize to a smaller SUV in the Spring.

This weekend should be pretty chill. Tomorrow is DS's last soccer game of the season, then I have a prenatal massage at 3 woohoo.

Sunday will be teaching Sunday school, going to church, and having a children's committee meeting at church.

Other than that, I plan to work on the nursery and take naps.

Hope everyone has an awesome Friday.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Weekend plans: finish putting the house back together. between the floors all being cleaned last weekend and the master bath 12 week of hell remodel finishing on Tuesday, things are kind of everywhere. that's gonna be so much work getting everything back in order and I'm just exhausted. 

Also wrap presents for DH's b-day and my mom's bday. Probably family dinner Sunday. 

Maybe I'll take a nap. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• I traded in my Charger (which I loved) for a family friendly Cherokee last December. We had moved out to the country where there are often high winds and heavy snow drifts. Add to that 2 50+ dogs and a tween and it just made sense. However, when our surprise came in May that we were expecting, I panicked right away because I didn't think we'd have enough room! My entire family and all my friends live 5+ hours away so we travel quite a bit. My lease is a 39 month term so we're just going to have to tough it out for a while.

As far as this weekend goes, SO closes tonight and tomorrow, so it will be pretty quiet around the house. I'm going to plop myself on the couch when I get home today. My brain is fried and my pelvis throbs. Saturday I had planned to unpack baby stuff, hang the last of the decorations in her room and wash clothes, but it looks like that might be delayed to Sunday. I wanted to take DSD to the pumpkin patch with one of her friends Sunday, but it's supposed to rain. Tomorrow may just have to be our day instead!

Pregnancy Ticker 

• I had three different doctors appointments today and now DH and I are just relaxing at home. He's barbecuing and his parents might come over for dinner. Tomorrow I have my baby shower with my friends and my side of the family. Sunday we have a couple's shower with DH's side of the family. Lots of family time this weekend! 
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • We went with a Honda Pilot nearly three years ago. With five pets, the space has been handy, and we can fit our folks/siblings+spouse in to ride with us if we want. We knew we wanted a bunch of kids, God-willing, so we justified it. My husband's car is company owned so it's technically our only vehicle. It's definitely the favorite vehicle we've ever owned and we'll drive it until the wheels fall off if we can. We're Honda fans too, so we'll probably grab another pilot or switch to an odyssey when the time to replace it comes. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We just bought an explorer a few months ago and I love it. However the 3rd row is tiny (if it gets used it will be by 8 year old stepson and his same aged cousin). Also I thought it was pretty roomy but we just installed our car seat and there in now no leg room for the front passenger seat. Also the computer (nav system) sucks. Just my two cents. 

This weekend will hopefully be pretty chill. No plans tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to work with DH to help him with some paint colors as well as pick up a new work truck we just bought. Sunday is laundry, house cleaning, and grocery shopping/meal prep for the week. 
  • We have a Subaru Forester and recently bought an Elantra as a commuter car for my husband. Since this baby #1 (of 2 hopefully) we mostly looked to make sure we had enough space in the back for rear facing car seats and reasonable trunk space for the stroller.  My Forester is old and will probably need replaced in a couple years, but I'm planning to get another Forester.

My weekend is looking pretty chill. I'll probably clear up some space in our master bedroom and put up the new pack & play that will serve as the bassinet for a few months, write a couple thank you cards for gifts that arrived this week, and then watch lots of football.
    EQD born 12/15!

• We have our maternity pictures tomorrow afternoon. Crossing fingers it doesn't rain. 

Other than that easy weekend with lots of resting and grading science fair reports.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We owned a Honda Pilot when we only had 3 kids and it was my most favorite car! Not too big, but has features and wasn't a "mom mobile". 
    We have no choice but a Yukon XL now... both because of family size and because we live on a dirt road and need something that can get around. 
    We did have to add an after market 4th row to fit everyone with this new baby. 
    Not sure if we will make the trade up to something bigger. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• @gowenc MIL and FIL have a Nissan Rogue, I personally love it! Lol they do too of course but coming from a passenger's perspective, it's very comfy to ride in. :)
  • I love love love my Honda Oddysey. I'm a minivan mom for lyfe!! 

That is all. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tinattt23 - I've been very aware of how seldomly compatible my life is with the lives of my friends who won't be having kids is. I think not having kids is also a great life option but the two worlds do feel very very different and I have been feeling a big sense of loss there. So yea, totally with you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • Most of our friends don't want kids, so I understand also. And then I have a good friend who is trying desperately for kids with no luck (which makes me feel horrible!)

We were fortunate that the only one of DH's friends that does want kids got pregnant a couple of months before us (gave birth first week of October) so now the first kids in our friend circle are close in age. Hoping that the girls will be good friends :)

Passed on all Halloween parties this weekend, we have become lame old parents, and I'm okay with that! 
  • Well, we are on the last day of getting rid of our stuff from the old house. We made some decent money yesterday and a couple hundred today, but we just put a sign up saying everything left is free since it's getting late. 

I can't believe how much stuff we had accumulated. I'm glad to see so much junk gone, but I keep crying. I hate how some people gloat over getting our stuff. I guess it's just the callous attitude about our situation that upsets me. Not all all have been that way, but enough to make me sad. I feel exhausted despite sitting the whole time.

Tomorrow we have to clean ( well, DH will be cleaning while I sit =.=) and then we say goodbye to the house forever. Bye house.

• Our plans changed quite a bit. Yesterday we went to a movie and then Melting Pot for dinner. It was fun! Our maternity photos were rescheduled for 2 weeks from now due to rain.

Today we have just been hanging out around the house and went and picked up our glider since it came in yesterday. I have no idea what we are doing for dinner as I'm just too tired to think.

As far as cars go we have a GMC Acadia. I love it. We are both tall and have tall family members, and it will work for have the baby plus extra family members in the car.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Friday made a pot roast and brought it over to my parents house. DH and I built the stroller and, with the help of my mom, went through all the stuff and clothes we got from the shower. Vacuumed out my car and attempted to install the car seat connector, but it got too dark. The travel system came with one, and we got 2 from the shower so we gave my mom the 3rd for her car so she doesn't have to buy one.

Saturday I slept. Seriously. Took DH to work at 6am came home and slept until 11:30. Then went to hang out with an old friend I haven't seen in forever. She got to feel Squish kick. Came home and slept again, got DH from work and ordered a pizza for dinner because I didn't feel like cooking. We were going to watch XMEN Apocalypse but ended up watching the deleted scenes, gag reel and making of. We went to bed before 9. Of course I tossed and turned all night....

Today sucked. Squish was on my cervix and diaphragm so walking was hard and painful. DH slept about 12 hours so he woke up ready to go. We cleared out all the trash from our house, including the fridge and cardboard that's been piling up driving me nuts! We have our house back! We also attempted to put together the pack n play but one of the parts was broken! So now I have to call Graco tomorrow and get a replacement. DH put travel restrictions on me so no fall festival, but found out it was YESTERDAY and not today! So I'm a little pissed at our friend who made a big deal about not doing a fire at our place today and doing her fall festival at her church instead because it wasn't even the same day. The only good thing about today was we pretty much have the nursery done and my house is clean.
    Married 4/12/13
    Anniversary
    TTC since 6/13
    Diagnosed w/ PCOS 4/9/15 - R/E recommended lifestyle change
    BFP 4/10/16 - DS born 12/16/2016
    SURPRISE! BFP 3/8/18
    Pregnancy Ticker