December 2016 Moms

Med-free Check-in 10/27

1) how many weeks?
2) how has pregnancy treated you this week?
3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor?
Pregnancy Ticker
Mother of an April '15 baby
Due December 16

Re: Med-free Check-in 10/27

• 1- 33 tomorrow 
    2- I feel I am closing in on the daily "I just need to be done" cry fests. Most noticeable this week was attitude issues- I can't control the things that come out of my mouth sometimes...
    3- for the first time in my life I've been somewhat consistent with kegels! We'll see how long before I totally go back to having forgotten about them...
    other than that, I do some yoga, swim, and try to keep my glutes, hip abductors and adductors strong but I keep meaning to add in more cat/cows etc
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • 1) how many weeks?
    32+2

2) how has pregnancy treated you this week?
    Much better. The massage/chiro seems to have helped my back a lot. 

3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor?
    Doing prenatal yoga twice a week. Instructor seems pretty good and really specialized in prenatal so hopefully it's helping. Cat/cows feel good on my back so I do a lot of those during the day. Need to get better about my squats though. Our birth class instructor recommends sitting in a squat 30 minutes a day (not necessarily all in one stretch). I don't think I've ever met that goal 
    :/ 
  • Loading the player...
  • 1. 32 weeks
    2. Meh. I'm ready to be done. chiro put me back in place yesterday so my back is still feeling pretty good.  But I woke up this morning with horrible right breast pain, muscle and joint aches, nausea and chills. So I spent most of the day in bed. feeling much better now.
    3. I'm doing some of the exercises PT gave me, plus kegels, cat/cow as well. 
  • 1) how many weeks? 31 tomorrow
    2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? I've been nauseous the last few days and got sick this morning. no bueno.
    3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor? working on squats and kegels

Pregnancy Ticker 

• 1- 31 weeks
    2- If it haven't been for our marathon road trip I think I'd be doing better. I feel gigantic, but my hips, pelvis and back are some better. 
    3- yes! I've been trying to do yoga (Several I found on YouTube) at least every other day. I think it's helping my back. 

Due December 27th with baby #7

• 1) how many weeks? 32 weeks!

2) how has pregnancy treated you this week?:

My sleep quality is decreasing, but being on modified bedrest and relaxing I feel has really helped me feel better with my BP. DH has been very firm about me resting and not feeling guilty, and I think that was something I needed emotionally and mentally because I can be so Type A that I will run myself into the ground. He's been cooking, cleaning, and taking me to appointments aanders brief errands in addition to working and going to school. He is so tired but never complains. I'm really lucky to have him.

I was doing daily squats even before pregnancy because they are great at keeping sciatica at bay since they strengthen your core and back. But.... admittedly have let it slip because I reached a point with my BP that it was dangerous for me to keep doing them, and now I'm so medicated I just don't have the willpower or energy. :( 
  • 1) how many weeks? 31 today
    2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? Pretty good, no complaints, really.
    3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor? I've been meaning to do regular cat-cows and squats, and I have an exercise ball to help my posture...but I've been bad about all that. I did just find this great page from Mama Natural that describes some more good exercises. I just need to DO them gosh darn it!
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • 1) how many weeks? 34 + 2
    2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? Meh. Heartburn has become a beast and my emotions are totally out of whack. I got so frustrated yesterday because I just wanted to do something physical to relieve stress and I didn't feel up to it. But some nights I sleep really well so I'm relishing that blessing while it lasts.
    3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor? I try to go to prenatal yoga once a week but I've had to skip it more than I'd like. Chiro every 2 weeks has been really helpful, and I try to do cat/cow at home when I remember.

Our yoga instructor has us work on relaxing the pelvic floor as part of doing kegels - she reminds us that we're going to need that ability in addition to strengthening those muscles.
  • 1) how many weeks? 32
    2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? pretty good, feeling generally large though.  Haven't had much energy this week.
    3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor? I really like my prenatal yoga dvd, but the time I used to spend on it in the mornings has been switched to testing for ketones, taking my blood glucose, tracking my meals, and planning/preparing my snacks/meals to take to work.  Maybe this weekend I'll make a conscious effort to find time for it before bed.
  • 1) how many weeks? 32+4
    2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? It's been going okay. I'm definitely slowing down. Went on a walk with some co-workers yesterday afternoon and had to keep telling them to slow down, as I was constantly about 5 steps behind them. Sleeping is difficult, but I started using breathe-right strips and for some reason that has helped (pregnancy congestion has ramped up a bit in the last couple weeks). 
    Prenatal yoga has saved my butt during this pregnancy. I had to miss a couple weeks about a month ago, and I feel so much better now that I'm back to doing it consistently again. One of my favorite things our instructor has us do is to get in to a deep lunge or muscle engaging squat. She'll have us stay there for a minute or two and notice what kinds of coping techniques we start using, ex. deep breathing, swaying, etc. in order to stay in the intensity- as a kind of low scale practice for coping with labor. It's actually really been helping me build up confidence that I have the coping skills needed to go med-free. 
  • ) how many weeks? 35 today!!
    2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? Pretty ok. There has been some weird moments after work where I felt crampy like the night I was induced and I was a bit worried that that meant I was going to start labor but the BH never turned into anything timeable. It happened again the next day and upon reflection I decided maybe it was just muscles below my bump being super sore? I am not doing any more work than usual but I did gain 6 lbs in the last two weeks (after not gaining for 8) and my fundal measurement went up more than it had in the last three appts, so maybe the bump is just getting big for my muscles? Who knows!
    3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor? No. I walk a lot in my job so does that count? lol. I should do squats I might try to work that in somewhere a few minutes at a time.
  • 1) how many weeks? 33w2d

2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? OK. Finished Bradley classes which seemed like a big deal. I went on a hospital tour yesterday and had bad dreams all last night just because I really don't like hospitals and kind of wish I had chosen a birthing center or something more causal. This place was marketing as a birthing center connected to the hospital but it's just the freaking hospital. And the woman giving the tour was fine, but she was really pushing the use of nitrous oxide (which I'm open to using if I break - much better than narcotics or an epi) but they were really pushing having the HEPLOC. I'm just really worried about the conflict between limited intervention and them making me feel like a bad mom for refusing medical treatment. I'm so glad we have a doula -- DH says I am freaking out for no reason and they will respect our wishes. 

3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor? I'm supposed to be doing squats, inversions, cat/cows and 200 kegels/day - and am glad to hear I'm not the only one slacking! It is getting so much harder to move around I am so huge! I do sit on an exercise ball at my desk at work which is a massive improvement over the chair. 

Me: 38, DH: 36 
    Married Jan 2008 
    DD Baby Bells born Dec 2016 5 lbs, 12 oz, 18" <3 so in love <3
    Due with #2 Baby Arya EDD February 2020

• @maamawaabangi I'm also worried about the fear aspect in a hospital. My stomach gets these butterflies every time I walk into my OB's (attached to the hospital). And every week I walk into the out-of-hospital birth center my classes are held at, I fell totally relaxed. There are a few what-if fears being out of hospital, but honestly it's cost that's kept me from switching. Insurance covers the hospital. Birth center would be $5k+. I'm really torn if spending so much money is worth feeling more comfortable. But I just don't think I can justify the cost with all the other money that's already been spent :(
  • @tinatt23 I really love all that @maamawaabangi said above. have you talked to your doula about your fears? wwith  my last birth I chose hospital with doula over a birth center (because that's where my comfort zone was - did a completely med free birth) but I REALLY trusted my doula which is what made it possible. do you 10000% trust your doula to do what you need her to do? if not- I'd definitely talk to her or consider switching to one that you do. or maybe find a MW instead of OB?

Honestly - if you HAVE the money, it could very well be worth it to feel safe/ comfortable. But if it would make things too tight, you can totally get what you want in a hospital- maybe do your best to identify your specific fears and address them so you feel confident!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Toller I do trust my doula. And she'll be helping us labor at home for as long as possible. And I really trust that FI has done his homework and understands what we want, why, and when to change course if needed.

There's only one hospital in the area that allows MW to practice. And they only have 1 MW on stafff who isn't accepting new patients near my due date. 

I'm going to talk to FI about it all. Maybe we'll go officially tour the birth center and talk to them in more detail. I think we'll probably stick to the hospital, but I might feel better knowing I really looked into both options. 
  • @maamawaabangi thanks for the support. I do trust my doula and that makes all the difference! A helpoc (prob spelling it wrong) is a starter IV so they can give you one (or drugs) if necessary. My reasoning to not have it is I want it to be harder to accept narcotics or pitocin. 

We are laboring at home with our doula for as long as possible. One of the girls in my birth class waited too long and ended up having the baby with dad's help in the bathtub so we are a little nervous about waiting too long. It did turn out all fine with them though! 

We do have one MW in our Ob practice but she is a little wacky. She is very assuring in person though. It's basically whoever you get on call when you go in though. 
    Married Jan 2008 

• Yeah, I'd refuse the heploc just from not wanting to deal with the pain... is that totally illogical during a med free birth??? 
    But for real. That's one thing they do to make it easier on themselves. 

As for waiting too long it happens but it's rare, particularly with 1st births. 

Oh and I read things wrong, thought you were contemplating using a doula... that is a good thing! You're in my thoughts.

Due December 27th with baby #7

• @leksiL I totally hear you when you are talking about the hep-loc, and wanting to avoid it if you can. Have you had your Group B Strep test yet? If not and you happen to test positive you will need IV antibiotics anyway... assuming that you do not refuse them. I just don't want you to be super set in what you want and then be disappointed if it can't happen. I had a lot of plans for my first birth (not induced, med free, no IV, all in the tub, minimal interventions) and didn't get to do any of that because of what happened and complications that were unforeseen. Fingers crossed it is able to happen the way you want it and that you have people who can be in your corner to fight for what you want. In my situation it was the opposite, me fighting to keep as close to what I wanted and my DH and mom having to tell me that for the the safety of my baby and myself that I needed to let go of those expectations. Labor is unpredictable... and a wild ride for sure but is worth it in the end. 

• 1) how many weeks? 35 tomorrow

2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? Like a bitch. Baby has dropped a ton and is putting so much pressure on my hips and on the front of my abdomen and it hurts sofa king much. I need help getting off of the floor or couch, sleep is difficult, and I have stretch marks this time and I'm pissed bout it.

3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor? Lots of stuff for my hips and lower back, cat cows, and rubbing myself with the foam roller.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @acreight13 those are all wise words. I understand needing it if I tested positive for Strep B (haven't had that test yet). And considering that EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends/family that has tried to go all natural for birth has had a cesarean, I'm well aware that things might not go my way. At the end of the day all anyone wants is a healthy baby. Another thing about becoming a parent is learning to go with the flow, right? You can't control everything. I just hope we don't have a lot of conflicts with people I have to trust to take care of me and my baby. I tend to get really bitchy when I don't get my way and know it's a personality flaw, luckily DH will be there and he is Mr. getalongwitheveryone.  :p
    Married Jan 2008 

• @leksiL I too married a Mr. getalongwitheveryone. Glad you will have people in your corner and wishing you the best. Fight for what you want - but in the end healthy baby, healthy mama is all you really need. :) 

• 1) how many weeks?  34 + 4
    2) how has pregnancy treated you this week?  Not great.  Baby has dropped and the pelvic pressure is no joke.  It hurts to get up from a sitting position - if I could just walk around or stand all day I'd be happy!
    3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor?  I'll echo a few people from above and say cat/cow stretches!  They have been helpful as well as other yoga poses.  Yesterday's prenatal yoga class focused on balance and oh boy - I was so so bad at that haha. I need to start adding squats.

@leksiL did you ask at your hospital if the hep-lock is mandatory?  I know that at my hospital (a very baby-friendly, encouraging everyone to go natural hospital) hep-locks are their policy and they don't waiver.  It's not so much pushing meds as they want to be 100% ready in case something goes wrong.  I'd just check beforehand so that you're not disappointed if you show up and they insist on it.  As far as it being easier to accept drugs with a hep-lock - my doctor recommended in my birth plan to make it clear not to offer any drugs, but that I would ask for them if/when I needed them.  

Me: 34 DH: 36
    Married 10/15/11
    M/C October 2014
    BFP #2 4/3/16  EDD 12/8/16  DS 11/19/16

• I know everyone is different but I found the hep-lock (or buff cap? whatever the IV connection point) was no biggie for me. I didn't even think about it and it made no difference in my laboring. I did have to get antibiotics for group B strep which I debated for a while but decided to go with it - but all that was really no biggie. I never considered IV pain meds (and won't this time as baby gets a dose almost equivalent to what mom gets) so it never played into my thoughts.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Due December 16
  • I'm a giant baby about IV's/hep lock. It's 100% mental. I know that. But any time I've had an IV (or even a blood draw) I refuse to move my arm at all for the entire day.

So I really wanted to avoid it all. But, the more I really thought about it, it just isn't worth the fight to me. It'd be a big AMA deal with the hospital. I feel confident we won't allow it to become an easy access point for drugs. And god forbid something happened I don't really want an OB nurse poking around for a vein a million times. These guys aren't ER nurses. They're used to being able to take their time. 

I've talked about it with my doula. She knows my fear and will work through it with me. I've talked to my Bradley instructor and she's advised on the best placement for it and who to request be the one to place it. So I feel as prepared as I can be. 

Sorry for the long post. Can you tell I've given this one a lot of thought? :p
  • 1) how many weeks? 35
    2) how has pregnancy treated you this week? I felt great until I got put on bed rest because my cervix was shortening. I've been on meds for that and they are working. Only another week and a half of meds, then she can come any time! Even on bed rest, I feel fine, just bored because I can't really do anything.
    3) are there exercises or stretches you do throughout pregnancy or in preparation for labor? Before bed rest, I was swimming twice a week, doing yoga twice a week, and walking twice a week. My doctor finally ok'ed short walks every day or an outing where I am walking (like grocery shopping) and that I can start doing (easy) yoga/stretching again. There's a gentle yoga class at the gym that I'm going to try tomorrow. 

re: hep-lock-- I originally had in my birth plan that I didn't want an IV, but my OB convinced me to get a hep-lock put in place when I get to the hospital because I have small veins and they always have trouble getting IVs in (and blood out). I would rather get it put in while in early labor, than have to deal with being stuck several times while in full labor or transition (its taken up to 4 sticks in the past).
    <3 D 2014 
    DD- 11/2016
  • tinattt23 said:

I've talked about it with my doula. She knows my fear and will work through it with me. I've talked to my Bradley instructor and she's advised on the best placement for it and who to request be the one to place it. So I feel as prepared as I can be. 
    @tinattt23, any tips for best placement? 
  • @KattyC I was recommended to avoid inner elbow at all costs. Said top of hand is ok, but can be annoying if you want to be on hands and knees. Instructor said most people have a good vein kind of on the inside of your arm/wrist. If you make a first, you should see it run from under your thumb on your wrist up your inner arm. I don't have a visible vein there though :(

And if you planning on being in the tub/shower she said to request they make it waterproof. I guess there's and extra layer of wrapping it needs that they probably won't do unless you specially ask. 
  • @tinattt23 I have the same fear!!! I hate the feel/ sight of them/ everything! My hospital didn't insist on a just in case one last time I labored, so I'm hoping it's the same this time (( I did refuse IV antibiotics - they harassed me a bit but we didn't have to sign anything until after baby was out)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @tinattt23! I had an IV started "just in case" when I went to to ER at the very beginning of the pregnancy and was not a fan.  Maybe in labor it's different but at the time it was all I could focus on. 
  • @Toller The first thing out of my OB's mouth when I brought up med free birth was "you at least have to have to the hep lock". So I know it'd be a big fight that I just don't really want to have. There's a lot of other things I'd rather spend my energy fighting for so, I'll suck this one up. That's awesome you got away without one. Hopefully it goes in your favor again.