July 2017 Moms
Options

Beauty Products

theweeveetheweevee member
edited October 2016 in July 2017 Moms
For a makeup and skincare junkie like me, this first pregnancy is mighty confusing!  Has anyone found a good source (whether online or in a book) that lists all of the chemical names for what we are supposed to avoid?  I feel like I'm studying for a chemistry exam and am getting confused by the methyl this and "avoid Vitamin A", where Vitamin A has many, many name variants.  Then add in the conflicting lists and oof.  Petroleum, silicone, and paraben oh my!  

Alternatively, if any of you has already figured this out and want to share what you're using, maybe I'll just copy your routine.  

Re: Beauty Products

• Options
    Following this, I should probably stop using my face wash O_o I didn't even think of that....
  • Options
    I didn't even know this was a thing!! 

I wear bare minerals - not planning on changing (unless I start breaking out and need something more heavy duty!)
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    AdaByronAdaByron member
    edited October 2016
    I just try to use the most gentle cleansers possible. Most nights I clean my face with Cetaphil. And I only use a stronger cleanser if I'm really feeling like I need it. I think this is one of those things where moderation is key. One drop of salicylic acid isn't going to go straight to your uterus. But I would maybe cut back if I was using it twice a day before. 

That being said, I tend to have a pretty relaxed attitude with most pregnancy restrictions. Your comfort level may be different.
  • Options
    Not that Baby Center is super legit but here is a good list of the key ingredients in some skin care to minimize or diminish 

https://www.babycenter.com/0_safe-skin-care-during-pregnancy_1490031.bc
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm trying to follow drug restrictions, but I can't imagine that facewash is really going to be harmful. So I kind of draw an external/internal line, I guess. 
    Besides, if it was so effective, my face wouldn't need to be washed multiple times a day!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    The article that @JAM85 posted was helpful!  It looks like for the most part if you use it topically and wash it off then it's ok.  I use a salicylic acid face wash 2x per day and I have been using salicylic acid lotion as well.  I'm going to keep using the wash, but switch the lotion to one without.  If I start breaking out again, I may use the lotion a couple times per week.  
    Excited for Baby #3!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I really like Paula's Choice products.  Gentle, yet effective!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!  I was shocked when I looked at my makeup and found out how many of them had retinoids...so this is very helpful!
  • Options
    Ugh, does anyone have a recommendation for pregnancy-safe acne spot treatment? I'm having the worst breakout of my life and everything I have is full of salicylic acid!!
    TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • Options
    Cleaning products I'm good on I think (Seventh Generation, Method, or Meyer's) as well as shower products (Andalou shampoo/conditioner, Method body wash) and body lotion (Nature by Canus). But I'm totally lost as well on face wash, face lotion, and makeup - I'm so worried about making my skin WORSE! I'm thinking of moving to Jessica Alba's Honest Company Beauty (I already use their dishwasher soap capsules and they have a great line of baby products) - has anyone tried their makeup before? The website makes their products look SUPER appealing! 
    Me: 28 I MH: 27
    Married August 2016
    TTC #1 September 2016
    BFP 10/31/16
    EDD 7/16/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    tsarina-2tsarina-2 member
    edited November 2016
    @leilac I used benzoyl peroxide during both my previous pregnancies. You can get low-dose benzoyl peroxide creams (2.5% or 5%). I personally believe salicylic acid is only a problem in very high doses, like with skin peels at the dermatologist, so I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a face wash, which you rinse right off. 

I'm like @AdaByron though; I tend to have a pretty relaxed attitude toward this stuff, so your comfort level may be different. 

Here is a scientific article from the NIH website, should anyone care to read some encouraging information about various acne treatments and their safety during pregnancy: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3114665/

edited bc I am anal
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @RYT_CPA I love Paula's Choice! Can't live without her skin care products.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @leilac  You should try benzoyl peroxide, according to the American Pregnancy Association, it is safe to use. 
  • Options
    @leilac a company called belli makes a pregnancy safe spot treatment!  I just started using their acne face wash and like it so far
  • Options
    WorkinWeezelWorkinWeezel member
    edited November 2016
    This may be flame-worthy, but like many others I didn't really avoid anything except that pimple cream stuff that you shouldn't use (salicylic acid).  I use Rodan and Fields products, and I don't use any foundation or anything, just stuff on my eyes by Bare Minerals.  I'm kind of relaxed about this stuff as well.  I even eat lunch meat!   :o Sorry I'm not much help!
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I'm kind of glad my BareMinerals makeup is on the list. I'm almost out of what I currently have and was wondering about options. BareMinerals is the only thing that's helped my acne.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Options
    @theweevee Awesome! Just ordered it!!

TTC #1: 4/16
    BFP #1: 5/16
    MMC at 8 weeks: 6/16
    BFP #2: 10/16 
    Sweet baby boy arrived 7/7/17!
  • Options
    @theweevee and @leilac FWIW I tried the Belli acne spot treatment in an earlier pregnancy when I had bad facial and décolleté acne and was being very strict about what products I used. Didn't help my acne at all, and eventually I gave up and used a 2.5% benzoyl peroxide cream. Hopefully the Belli products will work great for you two ladies, let me know, maybe I'll give it another shot this go around
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't even think of this. I use Lancome products.....
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I'm allergic to a common preservative on cosmetics and beauty products and soaps (MI) so I've been using Andalou face lotions and sunscreens (and body wash) and Tarte makeup from sephora. I use almond oil instead of body lotion, which works great and I think will help prevent stretch marks. 
    Me: 38 DH: 42 

TTC since October 2015
    1st medicated cycle = BFP 10/30 EDD July 11, 2017! 
    Beta 1 @ 11 DPO = 20
    Beta 2 @ 13 DPO  = 80
    Beta 3 @ 15 DPO =209
    Beta 4 @ 17 DPO = 554