Baby Names

Help Honoring A Name?

If baby is a boy, I would really like to honor my husband's father who passed away a few years ago. Unfortunately, the name isn't exactly easy to work with. I'm hoping you guys will have some creative ideas... His name was Lonnie Dale. I would really prefer to use Lonnie, since Dale is also my husband'a middle name and he feels like that would be naming the baby after him and not his dad. 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Help Honoring A Name?

• thatcmathatcma member
    edited October 2016
    Lonnie is NN for Alonzo
    Could use Lon as a MN (IE: Michael Lon)
  • What pp said. There are multiple variants you could go with. 
    https://www.behindthename.com/name/lonnie
  • Loading the player...
  • Lonnie for the middle name? You are right....tough to work with. The middle name is a beautiful thing in cases like this.
  • What would you think of using the initials instead of the actual name? When I was born, my parents gave me the same initials as my father, and his mother (married name). It carried tradition while maintaining my own identity and allowing my parents to choose a name they preferred.
    The McC 3 - DH, (38) Me, (34) and DS (3)
    A.J.M. - Born 6/11/13 after 17 BFNs including 1 failed IUI.
    Maybe Baby #2 - Started TTC Feb 2015. Called it quits after 29 cycles. 
  • I agree that picking a first name with initial L and then using Dale as a family tradition for the middle name is a lovely way to honor your FIL. Suggesting Landon Dale, Logan Dale, Leonard Dale, Lyle Dale. I know you didn't want to use Dale but I think using an L name really clearly links it to his father. 
  • I like the idea of using Dale as a middle name or using LD for the initials like @TheMcC3 said
  • Leo Dale is nice. Lonnie is hard, even as a middle name.