April 2017 Moms

Thursday Unpopular Opinions

Today's the day! What do you have?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Thursday Unpopular Opinions

• I hate Halloween decorations!
  • Loading the player...
  • @shaunessa I'm with you. Can't stand that guy!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @shaunessa I agree! Not a fan of his at all (except I did like The Town...)
  • New Ben Affleck=nope. I do love the older stuff like Good Will Hunting. 

@herewegrow  I felt the same about my FIL. I didn't think I would ever be comfortable with him watching my kid solo. As she got older, I saw how great he was with her. With my Father being so ill, it is now hard for my mom (a gold star Grandma) to get time with my daughter. It works great having my FIL in our trusted babysitter rotation. You may change you mind. I agree in trusting your gut or "vibes" you get from certain people. Always better safe than sorry.  

• @cafedisco yes! And to that I add my unpopular opinion that large, themed first birthday parties are useless. Have cake with the grandparents, take some cute pictures, done. The kid won't remember anyway. 
  • @cafedisco I totally agree with you!! My mom has a coworker who spent $1,000 on baby's first birthday. Really??!!
  • @SnarkasaurusRex Wow! That is extremely over the top. For a gender reveal party? Usually those are like BBQs not fancy parties....and presents?!?
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • @SnarkasaurusRex are you going? I can't even imagine having the gall to AW myself so much. I do sort of want you to go so you can tell us about it though :)
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • @KirstinH88 Right? I could never. My gender reveal was just family (because DH's family does them, so I played along) over for a BBQ at our house. So low key. And my mom DID bring a gift and I was slightly mortified over it, haha.

@cafedisco I ain't messing with that nonsense! (I actually have another engagement that day anyway.) I think if I went my eyes would roll straight out of my head. And my "gift" would be something super inappropriate...
  • @SnarkasaurusRex the way she is doing it would leave a bad taste in my mouth too.

We are doing a gender (sex) reveal too, but its with our close friends and family. This is because for once all of our family will be in Florida that weekend, so its a special occasion to have all sets of grandparents together. We are not expecting gifts or anything like that. I think that's where it gets tacky... oh and the renting a ballroom... 

We're basically having a Superbowl/BBQ type party with a blue or pink cake. lol  Who doesn't like meatballs and cocktail wieners :D  
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

• mrsstuessymrsstuessy member
    edited October 2016
    The reason I do fun birthday parties is because I think they are fun. I mean, we don't spend $1,000 or anything on DD's parties. More like $300, but for us that is a lot. I have to budget for a few months to afford that. I totally get the 1st birthday party is not for the baby, it is for the parents. We had a big 1st birthday party for DD, but it wasn't a kid theme or anything. Just a celebration that we kept our kid alive for a year. I am someone that celebrates every occasion I possibly can. We did a gender reveal party with DD too. Just a picnic in the park with our families.

I will agree that I don't get elf on the shelf. I think that one is really stupid and we won't be doing that in our family.

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @chelle087

FTM so I've never experienced it firsthand, but most parents I know who have are doing so because their kids had friends who did it and they were upset they didn't have their own elf. Hoping maybe this goes out of style in the next few years?  Hahaha
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I will not be allowing my MIL to babysit alone until my children can speak clearly. She will be the only grandparent that won't and I have no shame. I don't trust her judgement and her husband gives me the creeps. Not a chance I can take with daughters. 
    same with my dad--he never listened to my sister when he watched my niece because he says he's knows better and he's "the father" (bc he treats us like we're not adults still), so he's the only grandparent who hasn't had DS overnight yet. We just use the reason that he lives a few states away--he does have a house here to visit my little brother but he's never here for very long anyway.  Also, I can't stand his wife, she's a really horrible person and I don't even talk to her. 

BabyFruit Ticker

DS--N14
    Baby #2 EDD--4/16/17
  • @SnarkasaurusRex This is so crazy to me. Babies must be the new weddings - people having 15 different gift grabbing occasions for each. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Elf on the shelf creeps me out.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I thought I went all out on DS birthday party until I went to one of his buddy's parties. She had seriously fancy decorations, fancy food, a mountain of presents, everything. We just cooked a whole lot of taco fixings and did cake, one of which was a special smash cake some by me. I like decorating cake, is the root of why I like throwing parties, but we'll never spend tons on them.

Heck no to super posh gender reveals and Elf on a shelf. We'll be buying a box of balloons and maybe pink or blue cupcakes for whoever helps us film our reveal.
  • @mrsstuessy I totally get throwing a party for the adult friends that's more like a "we made it through a year! drink with us!"  And I don't begrudge anyone celebrating their kiddo and making them feel special.  I guess I just think it can be done...more simply sometimes.  I'm thinking of stuff like professional invites, catered food, etc.  I suppose I should just say good for you if you've got the money, spend it!  It just seems like overkill to me!

Also think Elf on the Shelf is a bit weird.  But, I knew a teacher who used it in her classroom last year and it was SUPER cute how much the kids got into it.  They wrote such adorable letters to the elf all the time. That seemed fun. 
    Me: 31
    DH: 36
    Married 5 years
    DD born 8/30/13
    #2 expected 4/25/17
  • We totally do elf on the shelf!  Our elf just moves around the house, we don't do anything crazy.  We've done it the last 3 years and my kids love it, they're 6,4,3,11m.   We love doing fun things for Christmas. We read the book and so the boys know that if they're naughty elf goes and reports back to Santa.  I totally use it towards my advantage while I can!! 

• Yeah. I think moving the elf around the house and having the elf watch over behavior is one thing. But having the elf roasibgb marshmallows over a candle one day, fishing out of the toilet the next,... I just don't know who had time for that stuff!
  • I do too big parties but I wouldn't say over the top. I used to be a professional party planner and I really enjoy the planning and crafting and decorating. I probably spent $500 on DS's birthday party but we have a big family and that was mostly food.

For our gender reveal with DS we just had our parents over for dinner and had a cake made. I posted a picture of the cut cake on Facebook and called it a day. I'm not sure I'll even do that much this time around.
  • I guess my UO is that I really don't care how much someone spends on a first birthday party, etc. Food is probably the majority of the cost, but if someone wants to spend thousands of dollars on ther baby's first birthday, who cares? It obviously means very much to them and it doesn't mean they care more about their kid--just maybe their love language is different.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • @pinkshades05 I'm with ya. I'm kind of feel like if someone wants to do it up big, go for it. Small parties are fine too (to each his own!), but some people just like the party planning part (at least I did!). I went a little overboard for our daughter's first birthday, but I loved it! I went into it knowing that she likely wouldn't remember it, but the point was to have a fun celebration for me & DH making it a year (lol) and we have a whole bunch of adorable pictures from the day that we'll get to show baby girl as she gets older. Me & DH don't really have big birthday parties for ourselves anymore (we usually prefer to go on a trip or something), so this was fun and out-of-the-ordinary for us. I got to get my pinterest-groove on, and the party was all pink and gold and just adorable. Lot of family came into town, and a bunch of friends came over (people we don't get to see as often as we'd like) - it was a really fun time for everyone to hang out (+mimosas lol!!). Plus, I figure that as the kiddos get older, they'll have more and more say in their parties and DD's 1st birthday was exactly how I wanted it :)
  • @allybadry I loved the crafting & planning part too!! :)
  • @LyssaChap I'm so sorry people are giving you a rough time. Honestly, if you didn't have the high risk diagnosis doctors would be doing everything in their power to keep baby inside until as close to 40 weeks as possible. 40 weeks is for healthy, low-risk pregnancies. I started going into labor at 34 weeks due to something that was completely treatable. Doctors treated it, and told me to keep baby in for as long as possible. But this was not putting me or baby at risk. Hoping for a continued safe pregnancy, and as long as everyone involved is healthy, how exciting that you get to meet baby earlier!
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • Thanks, it's just ultra irritating. I'm a well-educated third time mom. I do not need any other pregnant person telling me what to do or providing ANY level of "advice". 
    Alyssa (30) & DH (36)
    DD (12), DS (8). 
    Baby Boy EDD 4/6/17.