September 2016 Moms

Where is your baby sleeping?

where do you have your baby sleeping? Currently my 4 week old sleeps in a rock and play in our bedroom. 
When is best to transition them to their own room? And crib? He seems so tiny to put in the big crib!

Re: Where is your baby sleeping?

• Molly is sleeping in the basinet portion of a pack n play. I figure once she's too big for that she can sleep flat in the pack n play as a transition before the crib. Do you have a PnP? That would be my suggestion or start putting your LO in the crib for naps. Good luck!!
  • My two have both started in the crib so I didn't have to worry about transitioning. Once swaddled, DS2 seems happy enough in the crib in our room. 

I didn't transition DS1 to his own room until he slept through the night reliably--13 months! That's just bc I'm lazy and don't want to have to trek across the house in the middle of the night, lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Xavier is almost 6 weeks old and he still sleeps in the bassinet in his pack and play. Once he is too big for the bassinet he will just sleep in the pack and play until he sleeps more through the night. Not completely through the night but in longer stretches. Or until I feel comfortable about him sleeping in his crib across the house.
  • Dylan sleeps in his crib in his room. The first 2 nights we were home my SO and I both ended up just sleeping in there with him but We have gotten better about that. We swaddle him and he seems pretty content. We only swaddle him and put him in his crib at night during the day he naps in his swing or bouncer. I read somewhere that only swaddling them at night helps them to begin to differentiate between daytime and nighttime. For now this had worked out great for us hopefully it continues 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jenkar01jenkar01 member
    edited October 2016
    @drabong88 we do the same thing with swaddling and napping. He naps in his bouncer, have yet to get a swing do to expenses. And we only swaddle at night and seems to know the difference between day and night. Usually after his 7am or 8am feeding he wants to be awake so I pretty sure he knows when it is daytime and nighttime.
  • We have a Halo Bassinet our 4 week old sleeps in, in our room. We keep either swaddle him or put him in a sleep sack too keep him from starting himself awake. It's been working really well for us because I can grab him easily in the middle of the night without actually having to get up.

I'm a FTM so I am curious about when to transition to a crib also. I go back to work in January so I am hoping he can be in the crib by then. I am also a nervous nelly so I am scared of him sleeping in his own room when I can't watch him every second. I've also considered getting an Owlet for when he moves into his room but am trying to hold off.
  • Any moms here with baby with acid reflux? If so, where and how does baby sleep at night?
  • @madmyluv  My daughter has acid reflux and sleeps in the bassinet portion of the pack and play. The doctor didn't suggest anything about changing her sleeping area. She just started sleeping a good 4-5 hour stretch at night. Then she'll sometimes sleep for another two or three hours, though today she decided that 530 am was wake up time for the day. Since going on Zantac she has been spitting up a lot less when laying down. 

I haven't even thought about transitioning to her crib in her room. I think I would sleep even less out of worry. 

I was starting to Swaddle for nap but the point about day vs. night has me rethinking it. I just got the Healthy Sleep Habits book (recommended by the pediatrician when I asked about routine) so I'm interested to see what suggestions it has for nap time as that is where I am struggling. 
  • We started laying baby down in her crib around 2 weeks and having the monitor right on the night stand. Victoria is a noisy sleeper. She grunts and makes little sounds (that are actually pretty adorable) and I wasn't sleeping much. This is just for her first stretch of the night, which is anywhere between 2 - 4 hours now. After that I am almost always too lazy to lay her back down in the crib. At which point I lay her in the bassinet that goes in the pack n play but we have on the floor next to my side of the bed 
  • @CDE20 do you swaddle your baby? Will you incline the crib when you decide to put your baby in there? How old is your baby? Do you breast feed? Sorry for all the questions
  • Ravi sleeps in the pack and Play in our room at night for now.  During the daytime he mostly sleeps in this convertible rocker thing we have for him.  I think once I decide he is consistently sleeping through the night (or in a decently long stretch) then we will transfer him to his room.  He gets his diaper changed in his room, and has been noticing the decorations, and seems to really like them. 
  • Molly is seemingly more aware of her surroundings as well. We have a quilt on the wall beside where we change her and she touches it and stares at it. It's fun to watch her change slightly like that. Can't wait until she purposely smiles. She smiles now in her sleep and when she's gassy, and I still count it, but I can't wait until I can make her smile and laugh. <3
  • CDE20CDE20 member
    edited October 2016
    @madmyluv She is six weeks old and breastfed.  Yes we Swaddle at night, with the miracle blanket.  I was not planning on any incline as she seems ok with the flat surface in the pack and play. 
  • Same with the Halo Bassinet...greatest gift ever.  :) 
  • We use the rock n play or crib in our room at night. I've been trying to have LO sleep in different places in hopes of having a better sleeper than my other 2. (I really think it's just dependant on the baby's personality though, but I can try!). We swaddle at night. Naps in the day are in the pack n play in the living room.
  • We put Vivi in her crib at night since day one and have her sleep in a rock n play during the day.  
  • Does anyone have trouble with the sheets for the bassinet portion of a pack and play? All the sheets seem to not be super snug. 
  • Mine sleeps in a rock n play in her own room...we moved her out of our room at 4 weeks
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We had her in a flat bassinet (by BabyHome) but the last two weeks she's been in the RnP due to a cold and congestion. I'm hoping to switch her back to the bassinet when DH is on his weekend since I think she now prefers the RnP... @jensou ours is also a noisy sleeper..  ( https://www.whattoexpect.com/first-year/newborn-sleep.aspx )
  • We put DS2 in his crib since day 1.  We are up more than I would like but with DS1 we put him in bed with us and we can't get him out now :(  (he's 4)

Can't believe how fast these little ones are growing! 
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @CDE20 our bassinet sheets seem to fit ok in the PNP. I purchased them on Amazon. They fit the changing pad too, surprisingly. By American Baby Company sold by Amazon. 
  • Olivia has been in her crib in her room (maybe 15 steps from ours) since the 3rd night we were home. My ears have become tuned to the monitor for her little squeaks and peeps, and I like feeding her in her room at night, it is very calm and peaceful and I don't have to worry about keeping my husband awake, the world's lightest sleeper. 
  • @skirtandsandals you are lucky that your crib is that close to your room. Xavier's Nursery is across the house from ours. Our house isn't very big so it's not that far away but it's still a good 200 feet or so from our room. So I would have to solely rely on the monitor to hear him and I'm not quite ready for that.
  • @jenkar01 It is pretty lucky, because having her in the PnP in our room the first 2 nights nearly killed me! Every noise meant I had to check on her, and every moment of quiet meant she was certainly dead. I still have those thoughts now, but I have more self control with the video monitor and actually get some sleep myself. 
  • @skirtandsandals I was that way in the beginning but nowne can tell when he is grunting and when he is starting to wake up.