October 2016 Moms

All things post C-section

Re: All things post C-section

• This c section was so different than my first! Recovery has been different too- I am so swollen and my stomach while it's still large but I think it's getting smaller quicker due to breastfeeding is like swollen oddly... or maybe it due to some water retention or just second baby stretching but its saggy and then swollen around my incision. Ick I feel like I have a fupa! 
  • This c section was so different than my first! Recovery has been different too- I am so swollen and my stomach while it's still large but I think it's getting smaller quicker due to breastfeeding is like swollen oddly... or maybe it due to some water retention or just second baby stretching but its saggy and then swollen around my incision. Ick I feel like I have a fupa! 
    I'm having the exact same thing. This was my first csection and I'm 12 days po so far and I'm still so swollen in my belly. I feel disfigured bc my belly just hangs there and it's super low and uncomfortable not to mention that somehow my belly is like hard. The doctor said it was just a lot of fluid and would go away *eventually* but for now I'm so self conscious about it. I've been wearing my belly band to help support it and keep my skin from rubbing on my clothes. Here's hoping we both get our bodies back soon!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • @christinab0722 my sister had a lot of swelling after her c section and she said it lasted about 2 weeks and then one day it was gone. I'm drinking so much water you'd think it would make a difference!

Did you get a lot of fluids before your surgery? 
  • @christinab0722 my sister had a lot of swelling after her c section and she said it lasted about 2 weeks and then one day it was gone. I'm drinking so much water you'd think it would make a difference!

Did you get a lot of fluids before your surgery? 
    Well I got induced bc of pre-e, I labored for 16 hours, then had an emergency csection. So I had already had tons of fluids from labor and I was dealing with quite a bit of swelling in my legs and feet from the pre-E. I ended up losing more blood than normal during surgery so that also caused me to get tons of fluids and two blood transfusions afterwards. So basically my body got out through a lot in a short period of time. I'm getting frustrated though bc I feel like it's taking forever for my body to bounce back. My feet and legs are just now starting to go down but are still very painful. 

Have you you been able to get up and move around much? I do try to get out and walk even if just a little every day and that seems to really help my circulation. Also I read somewhere about using those tummy binders to help your stomach heal, have you tried one? I think my belly is too big/oddly shaped to work but I'm so curious if others have found relief or help from them. 
  • @christinab0722 They offered me a belly binder in the hospital and I havent regretted it one bit. It helps so much with gravity not pulling at my incision. The only downside is that I can't strap it on myself, so I have to get help. But definitely worth that little bit of trouble. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • @christinab0722 of wow! So that would make sense on why you're so swollen all those fluids and the blood transfusions. 

I am 8 days PP and I've been able to move pretty well. But the more I move the more I swell so I am just trying to drink a ton of water and keep my feet up. 
  • I was super swollen from the waist down for about 4 days too and it didn't really start until I'd left the hospital. 6 days PP now and I think the swelling is pretty much gone after drinking tons of water . 

I feel really good compared to a few days ago. Occasionally it feels like my incision is going to rip open though, which I hope is normal ...
  • My mom has been helping me a lot at night because Baby B apparently doesn't know nighttime is for sleeping. Last night I took over for most of it until around 6:30. This morning I am super sore, I guess from the up and down every hour or so. I think I'll let people help me today. One week pp. 
  • @kmyers228 I still get that "ripping" feeling if it's been a while since I took my meds and I bend or move a certain way. I'm 11 days PP. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Okay yea I figured it's just part of the healing process @MRSCORKER, but man does that hurt!!
  • My incision isn't super sore but the area above it is. 

this incision looks way bigger than my first one- I'm guessing do to the prévia and the tube tie? I'll ask when I go back in- I finally can see the incision now... if I pull my belly fat up a little bit haha!
  • I had my first sneeze today, 3 weeks pp. Every other time before this when I felt like I was going to sneeze it just disappeared like my lungs couldnt fully inflate. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • @kmolleltz the half sneezes were the weirdest! 
    @kmyers228 I sometimes feel a pull and then freeze, like Omg  what did I do? Also coincided with the return of full sneezes. 8 days PP
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • I haven't had to sneeze yet luckily, but I got a tickle in my throat and started coughing, ouch! 
  • kmyers228 said:
    I haven't had to sneeze yet luckily, but I got a tickle in my throat and started coughing, ouch! 
    Ugh. Sympathies. My family learned - no fresh ground pepper on this mama's salad. It got caught in my throat and I couldn't cough it out!
    DD 10/19/2016
  • @kmyers228 omg the cough! 

I keep getting a sharp pain in back where they did the spinal - I also had an epidural port back there- but man it hurts when it hurts.
  • So after everything I've gone through with labor, emergency csection, blood transfusions, blah blah blah.... Today my sister and her kids came to visit me and the kids and almost as soon as they got to my house I started having horrible, horrible pain in my back and sides. I'm talking writhing, labor level pain that left me unable to walk or really move my left side. I called H and begged him to take me to the er... The pain was that bad. Turns out I've got a somewhat large sized hematoma in my back potentially from the csection and now I'm getting transferred to our normal hospital to figure out how to treat this. Asking for prayers, positive thoughts, good juju on this whole situation. DS2 is only 13 days old so I'm quite scared. 
  • Oh no @christinab0722! Thinking of you!
  • @christinab0722 yikes. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix!
    DD 10/19/2016
  • Hope they can get you ffeeling better soon @christinab0722, stinks you have to deal with that :/
  • So sorry @christinab0722!  All the healthy vibes your way. 
  • Thinking of you @christinab0722 hope they can figure out what is going on! 
  • My incision itches and when I go to rub it a bit (can't scratch with the steristrips) it feels numb. Anyone else feel numb around the incision?

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Still here in the hospital... They have my pain under control which has been a blessing. They ordered an MRI but I wasn't able to go through with it.. Major anxiety over here and 35 minutes in that contraption sent my brain into space so we are going to repeat the CAT scan and see what's going on with the clot and how it's sitting on my kidneys. Thanks for all your good thoughts. I'm just so ready to be back home feeling better and with my boys. 
  • MRSCORKER said:
    My incision itches and when I go to rub it a bit (can't scratch with the steristrips) it feels numb. Anyone else feel numb around the incision?
    Totally numb and the nurses and many other bumpers have told me this is normal for a long time!
    DD 10/19/2016
  • So this may be TMI, but I haven't really bled since I left the hospital last weekend. i have some occasional thick, brown discharge but that's it. Anyone know if this is normal? 
  • @kmyers228
    i didn't really bleed a ton, but as it's almost tapered off, it's become dark brown. 
    DD 10/19/2016
  • @kmyers228 I had some major heavy bleeding in the hospital- like cleaning crew had to come wash my floor cause i stood up and it just poured out of me all over the floor. But by the time I got home it was light brown... I am 10 days PP and last night I started having some red blood again and it's a little heavier now. So depending on how far pp you are- it might come back. 
  • @kmyers228 I had some major heavy bleeding in the hospital- like cleaning crew had to come wash my floor cause i stood up and it just poured out of me all over the floor. But by the time I got home it was light brown... I am 10 days PP and last night I started having some red blood again and it's a little heavier now. So depending on how far pp you are- it might come back. 
    @kmyers228 same. The second I think it's done and tapering, I'll get some (small amount of) red blood again. 
    DD 10/19/2016
  • kmyers228 said:
    So this may be TMI, but I haven't really bled since I left the hospital last weekend. i have some occasional thick, brown discharge but that's it. Anyone know if this is normal? 
    I only bled in the hospital for like two days. I am 3 1/2 weeks pp and for the last week I haven't worn a pad most days but randomly I will have yellow/brown discharge and its super frustrating. It's like my body can't decide if its done. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Thanks ladies, sounds like it will just come and go til whenever. 
  • vanessa11411vanessa11411 member
    edited November 2016
    @vanessa11411 could you tell us a little about what this post-surgery program consisted of? If you think it worked well I'm sure others who are or will be post-op soon would appreciate some tips because I'm super impressed by you not even needing painkillers after being gutted! I definitely needed them and even at that wasn't doing great
    sorry @uponastar16, been MIA for a bit. They basically changed their whole no liquids and food after midnight. I was able to eat until 8 hours before surgery. I was able to drink clear liquids 2 hours before surgery. They also gave me these two pouches of this gatorade prime stuff that I've never seen before. I had to drink that 2 hours before surgery but within 15 minutes. It's loaded with carbs so that you're not going into surgery in starvation mode. They also said they did the pain management different, at least that's what they told me. They had me taking Tylenol and ibuprofen every 6 hours. I think what helped was the whole not having to starve my body. 

They also wanted me up and walking as soon as I was able to. I made sure to get up and walk and move around as much as I could.
  •  I'm 9 days post c-section and I'm feeling worse today. I'm thinking is gas pains? I don't want to be going backwards! 

• @ByeBabyBunting I definitely had some gas pains that did not feel good. Just let them rip :)  I'm 16 days pp and feeling pretty much normal. Hang in there and take stool softeners to help you go! 
  • Colace and gas-x were my BFF!

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• So I've been feeling great, pretty much back to normal and then starting yesterday (4 1/2 weeks PP) my abdominal muscles have gotten so sore all over again. I ache so much I had to take Advil again after not having to take anything for weeks. It hurts anytime I have to get out of bed again and even just walking. Anyone else experience this fallback? I don't think I've been overdoing it to cause this.

Also, kind've TMI but I used to have a bulge below my incision, I assume from my uterus not having shrunk all the way yet. Today I noticed that now I have a bulge above my incision. Why would it move like that? lol bodies are so weird ugh!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lgw2015 I kinda have a buldge above my incision. I'm not sure why it would move though. I feel like my inside incision is more painful then my outside incision. Did you do something that caused more ab work?

@byebabybunting totally try some gas-ex and see if it helps. I had my tubes tied so i had
    a ton of gas in my belly and I swear some of my farts are from that still. 

• @LGW2015 I have a ridge above my incision. Doctor says that's normal and it'll go away. Not sure why it would appear in different places though. 
  • @LGW2015 I have a bulge above my incision that I've always had, but is definitely more pronounced after surgery. I will say that my belly is still pretty sore in that area and the skin is actually pretty delicate to the touch. I will say that it just recently started to go down from all the swelling ( 22 days pp), but some days if I'm more active around the house or with the kids it's definitely more painful. 
  • Blech. I think I over did it the last few days. I've been feeling SO GOOD and forgetting that I'm only 4 weeks pp/post csec. 

Bleeding started up again, red instead of brown. Actually it feels like a period, minus any cramping. I've had increased appetite and thirst, and was crazy moody the last few days, like what my PMDD mood swings used to feel like. Honestly if I wasn't only 4 weeks pp, I would have assumed that's what this is. BUT I carried LO in his car seat a few times this week and I haven't been cleared for that heavy lifting yet, plus I haven't been napping like I used to, so since it seems unlikely this is my period, I'll say I over did it. Not bleeding heavily or anything, definitely no bleeding through pads, but I had to put on a real pad for the first time in like a week for bed instead of my thin little panty liner. 

Regardless, I'm so over the bleeding. I just want my body back now. More than anything right now I want to be intimate with DH. This is the longest we've ever gone without sex and I really miss the intimacy it brings. Cuddling only does so much...

Sorry for my middle of the night ramblings; maybe I should have put this in the Bumpers in the Night thread lol. 
     Countdown to Baby H!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mommy to Elizabeth (6/18/09), preemie at 34 weeks
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Wife to Dan (10/4/14), together since Dec 2010
    Anniversary 
    Working Mom
    BFP Feb 2016, Due Mid-October
    Team Blue!