October 2016 Moms

All things post C-section

Re: All things post C-section

• How pp is everyone from giving birth? I'm just starting day 4 and every day is different. Just trying to adjust and make the most... I mean at least I've got my sweet little bundle to cuddle when I'm not feeling great. 
  • How pp is everyone from giving birth? I'm just starting day 4 and every day is different. Just trying to adjust and make the most... I mean at least I've got my sweet little bundle to cuddle when I'm not feeling great. 
    I'm day 6. My mobility in and out of bed has gotten better. Still some swelling and it hurts to sneeze and laugh too hard. My energy is decent but my husband has been home helping me with my other kids.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • i'm day 13... my mobility has increased but my abdomen still feels like i did a million sit ups. i am also still not having regular poos so that's wreaking havoc on my insides.
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • At what point did everyone get their staples out? Someone said they'd do it before I left but I'm being discharged today (day 3) and I don't feel ready to have them out yet. 

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I wrote a response but TB ate it. I'm 2 weeks out and am feeling pretty good. My incision doesn't hurt anymore and has been closed for a while now, I'm just waiting for the steristrips to fall off (they said around 2 weeks). I've been making sure to get out once a day to walk or go shopping. I feel really good while I'm out but I am still sore inside and get crampy after I get back from my outing so I usually take some Tylenol when that happens which helps. Other than that I'm moving around well.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MRSCORKER I got my staples out at the hospital, but I stayed for 4 days. So I got mine out the morning of my 4th day PP. I was also really worried about getting them taken out, but it didn't hurt really, and the incision healed just fine.

I assume they wouldn't recommend getting them taken out so early if there was a chance something would go wrong. So if your doctor says you can get them out on day 3, then go ahead and get them out. That'll save you from having to make an appointment to go into the OB's office to get them removed in a week. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @MRSCORKER- I got mine out before I left the hospital at 3 days PP. I was completely freaked out by how soon they removed them, but the nurses assured me it was standard practice and that everything was sown together really well internally. They removed them and put steri-strips over the insision and it was fine. Also, it didn't hurt at all. I was so surprised by that! 

To answer the PP question, I'm 11 days PP and I feel really good. I can get out of bed with no trouble, I'm only on Alieve for the little aches and pains here and there, I walk a mile every day, and I haven't bled at all for 4 days now. The only time I still feel a little pain is when I laugh, cough, sneeze, or blow my nose. 

Hang in there, y'all! It gets better! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @CopperBoom86 When did you start walking a mile a day? I'm eager to get active. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Just wanted to add that I didn't have staples or anything, just steri-strips from when they closed me up. So if they put steri-strips on after taking out the staples there's definitely no need to worry, they hold everything together.

I started going on slow walks probably around the one week mark, and then worked my way up to shopping outings a few days after that. Just make sure you take it slow and listen to your body. Like I mentioned before, I tend to feel fine when I'm out but then get really sore afterward so make sure you don't overdo it :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • MRSCORKER said:
    @CopperBoom86 When did you start walking a mile a day? I'm eager to get active. 
    I started out slow, just walking to the end of our street and back on day 4. I was feeling up to slowly walking out mile loop by day 7 and I've been sticking with that and increasing speed ever since. It's the highlight of my day! 

Not gonna lie- it was really tough at first, but I think it's really helped the healing process and my spirits. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So today I'm now 5+ and I'm definitely feeling a little better... We had our first outing to the pediatrician this morning with all four of us and we didn't totally crash and burn. I'm a bigger gal and I've noticed that at the end of the day my stomach is rather sore and kind of low hanging (tmi) so that's causing a lot of my nightly discomfort. I still can't find a comfortable sleeping position so that's sort of a thing. I was looking forward to not being pregnant and getting a decent nights sleep but that hasn't happened yet so I'm getting frustrated with the lack of progress there.... And couple that with the hormonal let down and I'm a sobbing mess. 
  • I walked to the end of my block yesterday to get the mail. It felt so nice to get the fresh air, and I wrapped baby and brought him along. It was good for my mood too. But it's so frigging icy that I didn't dare go farther and risk slipping or falling and hurting myself. But I find moving and doing light light house duties helps me not feel so stiff. I can't wait until I can go uptown for coffee and stuff with my kids. I barely stayed home a whole day ever so staying home for many days is really making me feel depressed and isolated. But it seems like everyone is sick and I think a cold for baby or me would kill me, or at least rip my insides apart if I got a bad cough.
  • I still can't sneeze? If I start to sneeze it just disappears on inhale and I have a sharp pain in my side. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • I'm 20 days PP and I was wondering what position you all are sleeping in. I was told no side laying, just back. But don't know for how long. Can I sleep on my side?
  • MRSCORKERMRSCORKER member
    edited October 2016
    I'm 20 days PP and I was wondering what position you all are sleeping in. I was told no side laying, just back. But don't know for how long. Can I sleep on my side?
    I was told I could side lie when it was comfortable. I've been sleeping on my side since I got homes right I'm 5 days PP. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• I was told side or back is fine. I have to put blankets or pillows under my stomach still though because it feels like it's pulling a bit. But usually my hips hurt after an hour so it's back on my back I go.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • They told me side or back, but I'm 5 weeks PP and I'm comfortable sleeping on my stomach again.
  • I'm SO tired of my incision leaking. CAN I JUST FREAKIN HEAL ALREADY. Ugh.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • yeah i've been side sleeping since day 4. was painful but meds and sleep were worth
    it. 
  • Have to throw out a big shout out to depends! Tried using a maxi pad in the mesh undies and bled everywhere. Depends have been amazing! 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @mrscorker are you bleeding a lot? I only bled the first two days when I was still in the hospital and since then its been more dischargey than blood.... 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • kmolleltz said:
    @mrscorker are you bleeding a lot? I only bled the first two days when I was still in the hospital and since then its been more dischargey than blood.... 
    I'm bled pretty heavily until I left the hospital but it was being monitored and no one was concerned. Since I've been home, it's become more like a heavy period. You're lucky! 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• @mrscorker ugh, sorry you have that to deal with on top of all other things recovery (and keeping a small human alive) 

I suppose the Dr must have cleaned me out. In typical Tanzanian fashion he didn't explain anything, hah.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • I've been sleeping on side, back and stomach at 10 days out... no one said anything to me about sleeping positions so I just started moving into them when I felt comfortable.
    Me (28) & DH (29)
    Married: May 2015
    BFP 1/24/16 EDD 10/4/16
    It's a boy!

• @mrscorker when do you go to the doctor again? i bled for a few days in the hospital and then only when i pumped. totally stopped like 2 weeks pp
  • I'll go 4 weeks PP. It has slowed significantly and my doc said it could go on for a couple of weeks. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• Following this thread even more closely now with my 10/19 c section. Looking forward to just getting out of bed without effort. Definitely do not have the strength to even think about side sleeping. Being discharged today with my LO!
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • @chriscasey33 definitely use your arms as leverage to move in and out of bed. i got seriously good at moving my entire body by putting pressure on the arms of the hospital bed. 
  • I was told to expect bleeding for up to 6 weeks. Mine hasn't been bad at all, I expected much worse, but it still really varies. Some days I don't bleed at all and some days it's pretty heavy. I was told only to call if you're soaking a pad an hour.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't ever been told anything about sleeping positions and this is my 3rd c section. I sleep on my side though. 
    Ditto to using your arms to push yourself up. I'm 10 days post section and finally feeling pretty decent again. 
  • @mrszoess my shoulders are so sore from pulling myself up on the bed. And the nurses told me not to use my arms too much because I'd strain my back. I was still too drugged up to realize and ask "exactly what would be my alternative?"
    DD 10/19/2016
  • I'm almost 7 days PP and I'm sleeping on my side again. It took a few days to feel comfortable doing that, but my doctor never advised against it. I was also told to expect bleeding for several weeks. Some days are heavier than others. 
    This is is TMI, but is anyone else experiencing a diaper rash kind of feeling due to PP bleeding and wearing pads all the time? I'm not sure what to do about it, but it's driving me crazy. 
  • Just getting around to following this thread. So far I'm doing ok but I'm a little worried about getting home and not having any bars to help lower myself to the toilet and get back up. Has anyone had any issues at home? I feel like it helps to go slower and I don't feel like I'm ripping anything...

Most of my pain is like a burning feeling. I'm only 2 days out and we will be going home this afternoon, so looking forward to feeling better soon. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • @ibabyloveb87 I'm only one or two days ahead of you, but home toilet was not as bad. Even without bars. I just try to straddle my toilet and squat down  ( as opposed to standing in front and sitting back). Make sense? The nurses reminded me that not using my abs includes using not only my arms but also my legs to squat and get things in position for different activities. 
    DD 10/19/2016
  • So I'm now 8 days pp and I still can't seem to find a comfortable sleeping position. I started sleeping on the couch months ago when I was pregnant, pregnancy anxiety and acid reflux made it impossible to sleep in my bed, now that I'm no longer pregnant I've been dying to rejoin my DH in our bed and get some good sleep..... Buuuuut my csection incision and pain from that have still made it about impossible to find any sort of sleeping position I can tolerate. My belly is still full of tons of fluid and I'm crazy swollen so that's epically adding to my ongoing discomfort and operation mama needs sleep or I'm going to go crazy. 
  • christinab0722  I sleep on my back still most of the time because it is still uncomfortable to sleep on my side. I prop myself up with lots of pillows. If I do sleep on my side it is because I am feeding babe in side lying position. In that case, I put my body pillow behind me and a pillow between my legs. I just kept on top of my pain meds and it helped. Hope you can get a good sleep in bed. Ask DH to help you in bed. Mine helped me in to bed, to sit up and to get out. 
  • I just laughed way too hard. Ouch. I think I wasn't sitting in a good position either. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • I'm 9 days PP and feel pretty good most of the time but every once in a while I'll move from laying to sitting and it feels like the incision is ripping a part. It's awful! A good reminder to take my pain meds as prescribed, even when I think I don't need them. 

IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• bleh. Had another follow up yesterday. The right side on my incision is still open (20 days pp) and the Dr wants to put me on a THIRD course of antibiotics which I am not keen on... Dang body, just heal already! 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai