January 2017 Moms

10/10-10/14 Appointments, ultrasounds, bloodwork etc.

Hello, 3rd trimester! 

Whats on the schedule this week? 

I have an OB appt on wednesday night. 
** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
DS: December 19, 2011
MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: 10/10-10/14 Appointments, ultrasounds, bloodwork etc.

• I have a reg ob check-in on 10-14. Fx I didn't gain much weight. 
  • 1-hour glucose test take 2 tomorrow morning. A little nervous about it!
  • Loading the player...
  • christac1010christac1010 member
    edited October 2016
    Hopefully I don't hear from my doctor this week! I had my glucose test and my iron levels tested Friday. No news would definitely be great news! Otherwise I'll hear my exact results next Monday at my 4 week check in with my OB. I started taking iron again last week so I'm looking forward to hearing my numbers.

@canavara Is there anyone that can go with you or anyone you can call and chat with during the hour? Or can you bring a book to read or something to watch a show/movie? Maybe work? I feel like being distracted definitely helped me to not focus on how sick the drink made me feel while I was waiting.
  • Glucose test Tuesday morning. Just ate way too much sugar this weekend on our trip to Portland. Between Voodoo donuts, pumpkin pancakes and wedding dessert buffet - sheesh. The rest of today/tomorrow I'm going to have mini detox. Let's see what this orange flavored drink is all about! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • TinaBelcherTinaBelcher member
    edited October 2016
    Childbirth class round 2 tomorrow night and fluid check on Tuesday. Also bringing in my blood sugar numbers from the past ~2 weeks to talk about the bullshit that is monitoring 4x per day when my numbers are spectacular. It's pissing me off more and more every day that my numbers look great without any adjustment to
    my diet  :|
  • canavaracanavara member
    edited October 2016
    Hopefully I don't hear from my doctor this week! I had my glucose test and my iron levels tested Friday. No news would definitely be great news! Otherwise I'll hear my exact results next Monday at my 4 week check in with my OB. I started taking iron again last week so I'm looking forward to hearing my numbers.

@canavara Is there anyone that can go with you or anyone you can call and chat with during the hour? Or can you bring a book to read or something to watch a show/movie? Maybe work? I feel like being distracted definitely helped me to not focus on how sick the drink made me feel while I was waiting.
    I'm bringing my fiancee with me and my laptop so I can get some work done hopefully. Really I'm just hoping that the drink doesn't make me feel sick at all--mostly just nervous since I don't know after my first test whether it was the drink or getting a vaccine that made me sick and I'm really, really hoping it was just the latter *crossing my fingers!*

ETA: The Bump ate part of my post! I hope you DON'T hear from your doctor :) Though curious to know what a week of iron did for your numbers!
  • Ive got my 27 week apt on the 12th.. 
  • Glucose test and cervix check on Wednesday. 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kelseyh62 said:
    Glucose test Tuesday morning. Just ate way too much sugar this weekend on our trip to Portland. Between Voodoo donuts, pumpkin pancakes and wedding dessert buffet - sheesh. The rest of today/tomorrow I'm going to have mini detox. Let's see what this orange flavored drink is all about! 
    If they offer it, I suggest the lime flavored one. It's like a kool-aid mixed with sprite, way too sweet but better than the orange lol I had to switch cause the orange made me almost puke with my son

• Ccjorge90Ccjorge90 member
    edited October 2016
    canavara said:
    1-hour glucose test take 2 tomorrow morning. A little nervous about it!
    Same here! Good luck! Edited to add that I actually already took one earlier that I passed and I just have to take another one since I had GD last time. 
  • Well I didn't fail my glucose test. The doctor's office corrected me every time I said I failed. Rather I scored "above the ideal threshold" of 130 with 156. I need to do the three hour test ASAP, so I'm scheduled for 7am on Saturday. I'm really, really dreading this test. Also I wanted to go get cupcakes from my favorite bakery today for our wedding anniversary. I guess that's out of the question now. Ugh. 
  • Oh no, I'm so sorry @christac1010. I've heard a lot of people fail the 1-hour and pass the 3-hour no problem since the 1-hour isn't truly a test. Not that that makes having to do it any less crappy, but hopefully it goes well!

I'm 5 minutes away from being done with my 1-hour test. Didn't throw up! Almost did though. But woo. I requested to be put in a dark room, laying down. They happily obliged after I ralphed all over the place last time.
  • @christac1010 If you want a cupcake today, have a cupcake, it won't impact anything for Saturday. A lot of women don't pass the 1 hour test but pass the 3 hour test, there are so many factors that go in to it. I'm assuming your 3 hour test is a fasting test so that's a better test of whether you have GD or not. Did they tell you want your number was? I always suggest asking for those at any GD test because it's helpful to understand everything.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Well I didn't fail my glucose test. The doctor's office corrected me every time I said I failed. Rather I scored "above the ideal threshold" of 130 with 156. I need to do the three hour test ASAP, so I'm scheduled for 7am on Saturday. I'm really, really dreading this test. Also I wanted to go get cupcakes from my favorite bakery today for our wedding anniversary. I guess that's out of the question now. Ugh. 
    Get those cupcakes and enjoy them! Don't eat 3 at once lol but a cupcake is not going to screw anything up- particularly before they've given you any diet info. Plus you're supposed to eat carb heavy for a few days prior to the 3 hour (at my OB anyway) 

Sorry you have to do the 3 hour  :/
  • Thank you ladies! I'm just having a straight up pity party for myself, but maybe I will go with DH to get a cupcake this afternoon. Especially because I've been thinking of those delicious desserts all weekend. 

@Carly79 The receptionist called me from the doctor's office. She told me I tested at 156 and the threshold for the office is 130. I went first thing in the morning and I had a small piece of white cheddar cheese and a handful of natural almonds before the test. I also had a half cup of coffee. This time I was strictly instructed that I have to fast for 12 hours before the test, including no drinks except water. 
  • @christac1010 Enjoy your cupcake and enjoy your anniversary. The 3 hour test sucks but is such a better indicator of whether you have GD. I know it's daunting to have to go back for the 3 hour test and the waiting to find out is tough. If you have GD, know it's nothing you did. But I say don't worry about it until after you know something for sure.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Doing my 1 hr. Glucose screen right now. Delish. Not. I'm nervous about passing. Sure it'll be fine. 
  • I checked my blood sugar at home with my husband's kit 1 hr 15 mins after my test and my number was 143. So slightly over the 130 to 140. Great. I've been sobbing for 30 minutes  now. Might find out for sure from the doctor tomorrow afternoon. Am expecting to have to do the 3 hr.
    I also have to do a 24 hour urine collection test to check my kidney function since I only have one. So that's gonna be fun. I get to save my pee in a container in the fridge. Awesome. 
    So not happy right now. 
  • @urbanorchidgirl Oh no, at least you know though, but that still stinks :-/

For those who have failed the 1-hour, how soon did you hear back from your OB/midwife? The online health portal where all the results are posted automatically holds the results for 2 days. No idea why in particular, it's funny seeing that I'll be able to see my GTT results at 1:24AM on the 12th though... it seems like a totally arbitrary thing. Kind of wondering since I got the blood drawn before noon if I would have heard back by EOD if I had failed. 

Also for some reason they tested my blood for HIV :| -- they did that during the first tri too, which I can understand, but I'm kind of surprised they're doing a second HIV screening... how many people come into their office that pick up HIV between first and third trimester. Fiancee was with me and said when they did that draw, the nurse took a good 5 vials of blood. Sure hope they're doing something awesome with it.
  • @canavara I asked at the lab when she was taking my blood and she said it would take about two days to get the results to my doctor. I went on Friday morning and the doctor's office called this morning. Also five vials seems crazy! They took three vials from me for the glucose screening and a CBC. 
  • @canavara We hear back same day on the 1 hour test if numbers didn't fall within the threshold and if we are good we hear nothing (no news is good news). For the 3 hour test, they give us the results of each blood draw when we go back for the next one. So, if you manage to fail 2 of your first 3 blood draws you know before you leave if you are diagnosed and they send you home with a packet of info. If you pass all 3 then it doesn't matter what the 4th number is so you know you are fine. If you fail 1 of the first 3 then you'd have to wait until they process the last draw but you'd know that day if you passed or not. It's kind of nice to know same day.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Yep. Failed my 1 hour. I was 156 and the cutoff is 135. So Monday I have the 3 hr. But the 1 hr wasn't fasting, and the 3 hr is, so I'm expecting to pass the 3 hr. Hopefully. Cause I can't deal with this. Ugh.
  • Just took my glucose test. Chugged the orange drink through a straw in about 2 minutes. Was told I'd find out results by end of week. Don't like that I have to wait that long. Fx!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Fluid check went great, girls look fantastic, all of my concerns are typical for 36+ weeks and OB's just like "yeah sorry, twins"  :s

Also have to continue stabbing myself 4x a day even though my blood sugar numbers are spectacular because again- "twins" 
  • canavaracanavara member
    edited October 2016
    Welp, it's EOD 2 days after my 1-hour test and nothing from doctor so hopefully I passed my test (and if not I guess I'll know through online portal in about... 7 hours, alongside results for HIV and syphilis... no idea why but those results make me nervous even though a) I am at like near-0 risk of having either b) I was tested for both in the first trimester because I guess that's a state law or something? And was negative then of course because: see point "a"... but still... stupidly nervous about seeing all of these results anyway because I'm dumb)

@TinaBelcher They're just making you do the GD blood sugar tests because twins, not because you actually have GD? I know you said you took a class for it, are they still making you alter diet, etc.?
    @kelseyh62 FX for you passing!
  • @canavara I didn't pass the 3 hour so I "should" have GD, except while I do love candy I don't eat a typical American diet by any means, so I think that the glucola is just not accurate for me. I did follow the diet at first and had spectacular, way lower than "controlling GD" numbers and so I stopped, I'm eating whatever I want again and not paying attention to anything other than the timing after meals to check. I've been doing this for a week and my numbers are a hair higher but not diabetic at all. But because of the twins they want me to continue testing because my pancreas could just up and give out lol and they want to catch it immediately IF it happens. 

It blows!! 
  • I failed my 1 hour glucose so now I have to do the 3 hour today :(
  • I have my glucose test today at 4... can't figure out what is a good lunch option??? I'm guessing peanut butter and fluff is out! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @canavara i am sorry about being anemic! i am pretty surprised i've had no feelings of lethargy and signs of anemia... i'm a vegetarian and honestly have paid no extra attention to my iron intake/any extra supplements aside from my prenatal. hopefully they can find something that helps you better absorb iron if that's the culprit and gets you feeling back to yourself (even though it's kinda all downhill from here in the terms of feeling good :)).
  • @BriannaE129129 If it's non-fasting, you should be fine with some carbs, just try to get some protein in there to help offset it so your blood sugar doesn't spike. Maybe something like a turkey sandwich with greek yogurt/string cheese/glass of milk?

@newyearsbaby5 Yeah, hoping they get me on a supplement that helps out or something. I'm not a vegetarian but my fiancee is and I don't eat meat that often as a consequence of that. I'm actually not feeling as sluggish as I had been, so I'm really curious how bad my levels were prior to switching prenatals and eating meat because it must have been really, really bad (my RBC is 3.1 mill and the normal range is something like 3.71-5.71mill) and my Hgb was 10.3 GM/dl and the reference range there is 12.0-15.0.
  • I'm about to get my blood drawn for the one hour.  Fingers crossed!
    @canavara I feel you.  My iron is always 8 or lower and I do take a supplement daily! Ugh.  We'll see what it is after today's draw.
  • Had my glucose test today and will get results tomorrow. They also checked my iron levels and I'm curious to see what those are as I've been feeling lethargic, too.

More importantly, had a follow up cervix check with MFM and it is now down to 1.8cm. Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do other than take the progesterone and wait. They said they'd talk steroids for baby if it got below 1cm. Ugh. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @LastMango Just out of curiosity, how often are the checking you now? Fingers crossed your cervix hangs in there for a few more weeks! Keep us posted! 
  • @canavara I'm sure this has already been brought up but just incase not- are you taking your iron supplement with OJ? OJ (vitamin C, citrus, etc) can help with absorption of iron. Adversely taking it with milk, calcium, or antacids can decrease your iron absorption. Just a thought. 

Had my 24 week appt today and everything looks good. My fibroid is causing me to artificially measure at 30 weeks but at least they know it's not really my uterus that's so huge! Got my yummy orange drink for next time! I failed the one hour last pregnancy but passed the three hour so we'll see. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @LastMango Just out of curiosity, how often are the checking you now? Fingers crossed your cervix hangs in there for a few more weeks! Keep us posted! 
    Every two weeks. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• @canavara Yes, it is usually state law (at least it is here) to test for HIV in the third trimester.  In fact, our state requires that your test absolutely, positively be 28 weeks or later.  If you go at 27+6, your test means nothing and you need to retake it. I think it's a bit absurd too, given that we're screened in the first trimester, but I'm sure they've seen it all.

@christac1010 I failed my one hour with a 142.  I just took my three hour today.  I allegedly passed that.  I say allegedly because the doctor told me I passed, but when I reviewed my booklet where they right down all our lab results and other vital information after I left the office, I saw that my 2 hour draw was 1 point over the normal range; it was 156 when the limit is 155.  My other numbers were fine (fasting, one hour, and three hour).  I guess I am just surprised she didn't even mention it so I'm going to call tomorrow and have someone explain the process of what exactly is pass/fail when it comes to the 3 hour test. I've read that you need to fail 2 to be diagnosed, but I'm obviously not an expert!  And if there is something I should be doing to watch this, then I certainly want to do that.
  • @canavara thanks! My lab results were posted online & it looks like I passed. Just need the verbal confirm from the doc. Woohoo!

Good luck to everyone with their additional testing.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LoneStar21416 Yeah I looked it up yesterday and was kind of surprised that it was a law in most states. Here you can opt out of it during the third trimester for religious reasons, which seems kind of weird, or otherwise your baby has to be tested for it immediately after birth if you don't get tested.
  • Took the glucose test... drink wasn't so bad but o man the heartburn! woah!! Hoping I don't get a call this week, no news is good news!!
    BabyFetus Ticker