September 2016 Moms

Baby and Mommy Check In

Okay ladies, I figured we should do a check in to see how everyone is doing. Hope everyone is doing fantabulous!!!

How old is baby?

How are you doing?

Any appointments had/or coming up?

Rants/raves?

Any helpful tips you have found works?

Re: Baby and Mommy Check In

• How old is baby?
    Molly is 13 days old today! (Time is going so quickly!!)

How are you doing?
    I am doing well for the most part. I have my moments of frustration when either she won't latch or she wants to constantly feed. Mostly due to being really tired. Our feeding schedule is very tiring. We are finally getting a few hours of sleep at each stretch so I'm feeling better. 

We have had two appointments at the pediatrician. One with the ped and LC and one with the LC only. The LC really helped us get Molly on a schedule and feeding properly. We have her one month coming up. I booked my postpartum appt 4 weeks from the day I delivered. 

Rants/raves?
    Cluster feeding is hard! I feel like I'm constantly feeding and can't keep her content. She falls asleep at the breast all the time. I try to burp and switch sides but she still wants more about 20 minutes later. Makes it hard. In good news, the past midnight cluster feeding seems to have ended so we can get some sleep. DH is going back to work next week so I'm kinda bummed about that. :( I'm not doing well with getting naps in through the day so I need to work on that. 

Not really. What works for me may not work for anyone else. The rock n play is a wonderful invention for when we attempt to eat dinner or meals. When I wake her to feed I usually try to change her diaper first so I don't wake her after she's fed. Doesn't always help. Lol. Also, at night, I put her in her pjs before I feed so I don't need to transition her into something else. That's about all I got. Ha. 

• Loading the player...
  • @hejo2016 wow 3 kids, I can barely handle one. And yes zippers are amazing lol. I totally agree with the SO helping out more. I know mine wants to but he never follows through. Hope he helps out more for your sake and sanity.
  • @hejo2016 I like your point of "be nice to yourself". I don't know how many times I've caught myself getting upset when things don't go just as I plan or want them to. Sometimes I'm caught up in being the perfect parent when that doesn't exist. I have high expectations for myself, like I do in many things in my life, but ugh, this parenting thing is hard. And humbling. I need to work on that aspect of parenting - not to be so hard on myself. Or to take things too personally. 

• How old is baby?
    Olivia is 17 days old today. 

How are you doing?
    Pretty good. I don't know how anyone has a newborn without maternity leave, it is just so much! I try to do one thing each day, plus a walk, but most days it's evening before I know what happened. 

We had a bunch for weight and umbilical cord issues, Wed is hopefully the last one. Then nothing until her 2 month physical. 

Rants/raves?
    Breastfeeding is wonderful and frustrating! How do I know she is getting enough?!? Right now she is fake sleeping/occasionally swallowing/comfort sucking. Feedings last 30-60 minutes, and she wants to eat every 60-90 minutes! At some point I am empty, right? I am also trying to pump, to build up my supply/have some for "emergencies", so it feels like my boobs never get a break! Someone tell me this will change soon, right? 

On the flip side, middle of the night feedings are my favorite. I have to wake Olivia up each time, so she is all snuggly and sweet. She makes the best faces and immediately falls right back to sleep (knock on wood) so it is just the best! 

Olivia loves the sound of the vacuum, or at least it stops her crying instantly. And I cannot recommend the rubber band trick for pumping we discussed on the other thread enough. It is the only thing keeping my grasp on sanity. 
  • @BabyBoyH92016 it definitely seems it takes 6-8 wks for the digestive system to figure things out. Seems it was that way with our previous two as well. 
    @skirtandsandals yes, life seems to revolve around boobs right now... Realized my shirt selection for easy boob access are slim. Good excuse to shop if I had the time, or $...
  • Stuck in the box

How old is baby? 
    Four weeks

How are you doing? 
    Being a FTM is the most difficult thing I've done. The lack of sleep is brutal when baby wants to eat every two hours but is up for an hour to an hour and a half at every feeding. We can get one two to three hour stretch of sleep a day in the bassinet. All other sleep is very short 10-15 min naps being held or she grunts/groans the entire time. It makes it difficult to sleep when she sleeps. I need to get out of the house occasionally to feel normal. Being stuck in the house for days makes the emotional side come out more. It is really just survival mode at this point. 

None this week or next. 

Rants/raves? 
    Tried gas drops but they made baby have blow out diapers so I was disappointed that it wasn't effective in helping her gas pains either. 

The miracle blanket Swaddle is awesome. My baby doesn't really sleep well anyway but at least she can't Houdini out of this one. We had tried several other swaddles before this one.  Also playing YouTube videos of someone saying "shhhh" has been helpful to calm her at times to give me a break from saying "shhh". There are videos that are an hour long and has other videos with saying "shh" at different tones/intervals. 

• @hejo2016  I may be one of the few to think this, but I dislike the zipper sleepers. Maybe because the newborn clothes are slightly big still, but the zipper bunches up and is difficult to Swaddle. I've been keeping the leg snaps still snapped as much as possible and treating it almost like pants to get her legs out. It helps when she is kicking her legs to not have to fight to resnap the ones on the legs. 
  • @CDE20 yes! The stupid zipper bunching!! I hate that too. But snaps at 3am make me full of rage...
  • ^^ I hate the zippers. I'm afraid I'll zip the baby's leg because she's so wiggly and it's hard to get the other leg in because she is always pulling her legs up (makes diapering a sport too) 

i like the baby gowns at night (did w all my older kids too and they have mittens as well!). During the day I like the sleep n plays w snaps down both legs. 

Swaddles w Velcro are new to me but baby loved them in her early weeks. Lately I don't think she likes as much not being able to move her arms. 

@CDE20 there's a sh! Video???!! Looking this up tomorrow LOL 
  • How old? Victoria is 6 weeks old 

How are you doing? I'm hanging in there. Ask me Monday when I go back to work and hubby is out of country! 

Any appointments? Had my 6 week this past Tuesday and Victoria has 2 month on the 14th. Highlights from my appt are BP finally down to normal levels, 6 weeks of bleeding isn't concerning (I just stopped, thank heavens!), green light for sex! (Like we'll ever find time LOL)

Rants / Raves? I bought a MeiTai freestyle baby carrier on consignment. Baby loves it! I have two hands free and it doesn't hurt my back bc I carry her so high up on my chest. 

Helpful tips? Babywearing is something new for me. I really enjoy it and it has helped me get things done bc LO doesn't like to be put down much or for long. I don't have anything complicated or expensive. Would recommend if you have a fussypants too 

I will be reading up on this one to see everyone else's tips!!! Thanks for starting :)@jenkar01

• How old is baby?
     LO is 3 weeks

How are you doing?
     Meh. Have good days/bad days. The 2 weeks pp were def. A battle w/baby blues but seems to be getting better.

LO had a  jaundice checkup Monday. That's all good now and I was super glad to see she had gained about a Lb from birth weight. As she was born 3 weeks early I've been paranoid about her weight gain.

Rants/raves?
     Hubby is a huge help but after a rough night the LAST thing I want to hear him say in the morning is "I'm so tired" he works out of town most weekends and honestly im a tad bit jealous of his baby free nights in a hotel. 

Nope. But I also agree on team no zippers. Buttons and sleeper gowns are my go to outfits of choice.

• How old is baby? 4 Weeks 

How are you doing?
    Im actually doing a lot better in recent weeks. My mum helped out for 3 weeks which the first 2 weeks were the roughest in coping with feeding and sleep deprivation. 
    Cluster feeding was really hard and had to supplement with formula which really helped Nia-Mae to stay fuller for longer. Id tried expressing so I got a break in some night feeds but while she was feeding every hour during the day I was too tired and/or my supply wasnt sufficient enough for a bottle feed! 
    She is so much calmer now and can go longer intervals in feeding. I gave her no more than 2 bottles with formula which can now cut down to 1 or exclusively nurse again as she only wants to cluster feed during the night. 

Had her weighing today and she has put on 2lbs in 3 weeks which puts her in the 50 percentile. She was born 6lbs 3ozs and 4 days early. She has put weight on like a champ so what im doing must be paying off! 
    Next appointment will be the 6 week check-up for the both of us in 2 weeks. 

Rants/raves? Rant:- 
    Nia-Mae is starting to stay awake for longer during the day but nights are so hard now where the routine of her sleeping in her crib has gone out the window and she has found her way into the bed where she sleeps for longer and seems more settled (shes a restless sleeper in her crib and makes all sorts of sounds which has me unsettled and doesnt allow for a good sleep) 
    Rave:- She is such a content and calm baby, no fuss at all and only cries when she isnt feed immediately after giving her cues or if she has been put down too long but generally loves being in her bouncer. Shes also started being entertained by song time on YouTube. 

As a FTM im definitely agreeing with the PP about 'being kind to yourself' I tried to early to get us in a set routine which put added pressure on myself and disappointment when I failed. 
    Trust your instincts and intuition as what works for you may not work for another. 
    EVERY CHILD IS DIFFERENT!! 
  • I hear everyone on the zipper sleepers with the bunching but what a time saver for night time diaper changes. My LO is a wigglyworm to the max so it doesn't matter what we put him in, diaper changes are an adventure lol.

So glad to see everyone enjoying this. Figured it was a good way to get to know each other more and just check in since I know the LOs have has all super busy.

• How old is baby? 1 week

How are you doing? I'm doing well! The healing process has been rough but improves a little every day. Birth injured my tailbone and I couldn't sit or move without horrible pain. Luckily now the pain is mostly when I sit straight up. And now I'm feeling the rest of the 'discomfort' which was covered by the tailbone pain. Other than that, I'm good!

Any appointments had/or coming up? We had Ellie's first checkup on Tuesday. She was up 2 oz from the weight we left the hospital, in 2 days! She is healthy and everything looks good so far. No jaundice at all.

Rants/raves?
    I'm going to rave about my SO. He was so wonderful in the hospital. He let me sleep and basically did everything for the baby except feed her. The first night home we took turns so we each got a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. (Of course, I still did the feedings) it made the biggest difference in my energy level. I remember being so exhausted with my first (different father - we split when DD1 was 1 week old). 

Every baby is different but hearing what works for others always gives you a new thing to try. What is saving us with this LO is the pacifier. She wants to suck and suck and suck. My first wouldn't take one and I hadn't planned on giving Ellie one either but it's been a life saver. She hates getting her diaper changed though - any helpful tips there?

• @molosmiles my LO hates diaper changes for the most part. Well anytime she gets partially stripped down. I think it's about being cold. She hates diaper changes and hates sponge baths. Lol. I don't know how you dress your LO during the day at home but I have some kimono style tops which keep her diaper accessible. Makes changes easier. I also usually start the change with her still half asleep. I set the new diaper below the one I'm removing and try to go quickly. Lol. But I find not having pants or anything to undo first helps. Maybe that would help? Or warm the wipe up in your hand first? Sometimes my DH and I tag team the changes which also helps! That's about the extent of my advice. Good luck!
  • @molosmiles I'm in the same boat with diaper changes. Unless he is asleep or half asleep then it is a battle. Best thing I've found is having everything ready and go as quickly as possible.
  • @jenkar01 @rock1cherry I do all the same, except I haven't tried the kimono style shirts. I have the sleepers that are open on the bottom but haven't tried them yet. I think it has to do with the cold too. She poops after almost every middle of the night feeding and sometimes she'll stay asleep which is nice, ha ha. The worst is when I change her, pick her up, she stops crying then pees or poops. Happens way too often,

• How old is baby?
    Logan is 3 weeks old today! 

How are you doing? I'm doing well. My mom stayed with us the first 2 weeks which was a lifesaver.  It helped make sure my 3 year old wasn't ignored while we were trying to figure things out with a newborn again.

Any appointments had/or coming up? Had 2 appts so far one week check up and then a weight check a few days later.  One month checkup in 2 weeks.

Rants/raves?  I'm so much more relaxed this time.  With my 3 year old I was dead set on nursing and stressed myself out trying and trying everyday and it didn't work out. When Logan started acting similar to Alex I decided I would just exclusively pump again. It works for us and it allows DH to feed him at night so I can sleep between pumping sessions.  Logan sleeps 3-4 hour stretches most of the time.  

Any helpful tips you have found works? Moby wrap, bouncer seat and the swing save my day when I'm here alone with the 2 boys.  The wrap is great when he wants me to hold him but I need to get things done. The bouncer and the swing are great for a place to put him down.

• How old is baby?
    10 days old

How are you doing?
    this is DD #2 and things are much smoother this time around with knowing a bit of what to expect. This was also my second c-section and the recovery this time with it being planned has been way easier.

Had her 1 week appt a few days ago and she's already over her birthweight 

Rants/raves?
    Rant- hearing my husband say "I'm tired" makes me want to stab him in the eye lol. Other than that no complaints

our older daughter loves her white noise machine so we got one right away for this baby and it seems to help her sleep better at night. Might be something to look into for those intrgued by the vacuum or shh videos. We bought ours on Amazon for about $25

• @Kerrib1986 which sound machine did you get? We have one for my older son, but it's not holding up well. But I also don't want to pay a ton...
  • Emillz5Emillz5 member
    edited October 2016

How old is baby?
    6 weeks! 

How are you doing?
    I feel completely myself again! Recovery wasn't as bad as I thought 

My postpartum appointment is this week

Rants/raves?
    Breastfeeding was extremely hard the first couple of weeks because my son would not latch. But lots of work and we are exclusively breastfeeding now. Proud of him and me for not giving up! On the other hand, getting him to sleep is extremely hard sometimes. I have to nurse him or give him his pacifier and rock him or pat his back/butt or he will just scream even though he is so tired. It takes a couple hours sometimes and is exhausting :/  

does anyone have any tips for putting your baby to sleep?

• @Emillz5 I'm in the same boat with getting baby to sleep. At night not so bad but during the day it is torture.
  • AMT1107AMT1107 member
    edited October 2016
    How old is baby?
    Gavin will be 4 weeks on Wednesday, I can't believe how fast those 4 weeks have gone

How are you doing?
    Feeling almost 100%, when I overdue it, I definitely know it.  CS is healing nicely and there is little to no pain there.  DH is home with me for the first 6 weeks, so we are taking shifts with sleeping and caring for baby and our older DS

Next appointment is 10/10 for baby, part 2 of the hep B shot. My next appt is 10/19, hopefully I will be cleared for everything, at my 2 week postpartum appt I was only cleared to drive

Rants/raves?
    Loving how my big guy likes to see his brother, he always comments on how tiny DS2's feet and ears are.  (Big Brother just turned 4)

We found an amazing app, for the life of me I can't remember and will post when I have my phone nearby. It tracks everything from eating, medicines, bathing and diapers changes, so much more on there too. Best part it's free!

Edit to add: app is called Baby Daybook
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @Emillz5 when my daughter is really fussy, I put my hand on her chest lightly and use the pointer finger to catch the pacifier if it starts faling out. I then use my thumb and ring finger to either stroke her cheeks or just touch them.  Usually within a minute or two the crying stops and she starts falling asleep. I usually end up having to rock her awhile longer to make sure she is sound asleep enough to be put in bassinet but this trick has been helpful to me to at least get her calmed down and start falling asleep. Not sure if this will help but wanted to pass along. I can usually get her to sleep - it's the staying asleep for longer than an hour or two, that I have trouble with. 
  • Kerrib1986Kerrib1986 member
    edited October 2016
    @hejo2016
    We have the Homedics brand. Have had our older daughters for 2 years now and it's still going.

• How old is baby? She was 1 month on the 1st

How are you doing? 
    I'm tired but otherwise good

We are going to the doc tomorrow because she still has her cord stump!

Rants/raves? 
    I miss my bed

If she's fighting her nap, wearing her works every time
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How old is baby? Olivia is 6 weeks today

How are you doing?
    Rough morning, first day back to work. Came back and had to unpack my office since they moved while I was out. My boobs are sore but barely producing anything. Torn on just going formula full time or keep trying to pump. :/ Sleepy too, kiddo woke up at 430 for a bottle and I was hoping for a bit more sleep on the first day. Physically sore and having issues in my lower abdomen, waiting for test results and that has my anxiety pretty high and I'm eager to get back to baby (she's with grandma but I'm really missing her).

Hearing test again this friday which has me anxious. (She didn't pass one ear at the hospital) and then we have 2 month check up 10/21. Dreading it because of the shots, I'm a huge wuss when she cries.

Rants/raves?
    In the middle of a "moment" of my crying and feeling overwhelmed venting to Dh he says "Is it bad i want to violate you right now?" UMM WT* I'm crying here and emotional and you're talking about sx?!?! I got up and left the room. Oh and like alot of others, he means well and offers to help but it doesn't tend to happen for whatever reason. :/ Hoping we get into a good groove since I'm back at work.

Dr Brown bottles were leaking but you have to hold them 45 degrees and not shake the formula in the bottle. I thought I was losing it the other day when so much breast milk starting leaking out, I know it's been almost 5 years since last baby but man I guess I forgot more than I thought!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • oh gosh, my ticker is still on, how do we shut it off??
  • @chavezrd2 It's been 8 years for me, and it's almost like starting over but with a bit more calm. The other night I used a Dr. Brown bottle and it was leaking and then I realized I didn't put the vent part in, doh.
  • Thanks @kerrib1986 ! @chavezrd2 sorry you're back at work and dealing with all that :( Hopefully you can get into a good groove!
  • @noelani42 our babies share a birthday :smiley:

@chavezrd2 what do you mean by ticker?
  • the rainbow in my sig looks like i'm still prego at 43 weeks... lol
  • Oh lol I think if you go to account settings you can put when you had little one.

• How old is baby?
    Elias 6 weeks and 3 days old. 

How are you doing?
    great! It was awful at first because my 16 month old was awful and I had about 15 mental breakdowns a day but it's definitely calmed down and I'm feeling much happier. 

Elias had his 1 month appt and he weighed 12 lbs 4 oz and was 24 inches tall. 

Rants/raves?
    My husband is irritating. Mostly I'm jealous because he works everyday and I would die to be working right now. I know that seems awful but I need out of the house. He gets a break. The worst part is that he works an hour away and he doesn't get home until midnight when he closes. The earliest he ever gets home is 8 at night. Also, he won't get up in the morning with my oldest son. Ezra has been getting up at 5 this entire week and I'm exhausted. My husband just lays in bed. Today he finally said "if you're so pissed at me for not getting up then why don't you tell me )& up. So hopefully that gets to him and he fixes the issue. 

Elias is so smiley all the time and it makes my heart melt. Ezra is doing much better and is so nice to his brother now! 

white noise is amazing if you haven't figured it out all ready. I use the "sound sleeper" app and put it on rain and he calms down immediately. 
  • I hope everyone is doing well :) I am posting this really late lol, but since I have been very active I figured an update could not hurt.

How old is baby?
    He will be two months on November 3rd.

How are you doing?
    Doing much better now, I had a really low milk supply at first and we had to supplement formula after every feed, he would get almost no milk from me. But I started pumping after every feed and taking Domperidone and Fenugreek and now he feeds almost elusively on the breast, we have to supplement one bottle in the evening before bed.

When I feel sad about that bottle I remind myself how far we have come and that when he was a week or two old I tought I would never be able to just breastfeed him.

He sleeps better too, he has some bad days when he cries a lot and won't sleep unless being held but then there is good days when he takes several long naps.

I have my six week appointment (late) on November 3rd.

I waited six weeks before introducing a pacifier, and considering how much trouble we had and how it actually helps (not all the time, sometimes he won't take it) I should not of waited quite that long.
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016

• @alyeena congrats on all that hard work getting your supply up!

im in a similar situation where we have to supplement a couple ounces of formula at night. A lactation consultant confirmed my production starts to go down starting in the afternoon. I'm on fenugreek but don't think it's helped. I pump more frequently on the weekends when my husband is home to help with the baby. It's really hard to pump during the week when I'm alone with the baby because right after I feed him I'm either playing with him, or trying to soothe him to sleep. How long did it take for your supply to go up by pumping after every meal?
  • AlyeenaAlyeena member
    edited October 2016
    @BabyBoyH92016 I am in the same situation with the pumping, if my husband is not there I can't really pump because it takes time to burp baby, rock him and put him back to sleep. I try to pump whenever I can in the afternoon and evening when my supply is at it's lowest but it's impossible to do after every feed xD But I always pump right before bed.

I pumped after every feed for the first five weeks, it gradually got better and better. I would say that after just two weeks of pumping my supply was much better but was not quite enough, I started the Domperidone around four weeks and the Fenugreek around six weeks, I notice it each helped a little, the combination of all three is what did it.

Keep up with the pumping it really does help!! Hopefully it works well for you!
    35 years old, TTC #1 Dec 28, 2011
    PCOS, Hypothyroidism.
    First IVF cycle June 5th 2015 --- BFP
    Miscarriage at 8 weeks
    FET December 15th 2015--- BFP!
    First saw  at 6w4d
    It's a boy!

Luciano Alessandro Maximiliano was born on September 3rd 2016