March 2017 Moms
Options

Never say ____ to a pregnant woman!

What crazy things have people said to you in this or past pregnancies!? 

Re: Never say ____ to a pregnant woman!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kjd291 my mom made that twin comment to me over the weekend...I was so mad!! 
  • Options
    While working out yesterday morning, some random old dude at the gym, that I don't even know, came right up to me and said..... "Looks like you're starting to show!" Um. Say what? Who the flip are you???

As it turns out, he knows my husband, and my husband had told him we were expecting, but still..... !! Grrrrrr
  • Options
    kjd291 said:
    I think the "are you sure it's not twins" comment is the most annoying.  But last time at work when a random patron found out I was expecting she said, "OH!! I was wondering why you were getting a little fat in the face".   Not cool, lady. Not cool. 
    :open_mouth: oh no no no! That's so far beyond not cool! Oh man id be mad... And then I'd cry...
  • Options
    kjd291 said:
    I think the "are you sure it's not twins" comment is the most annoying.  But last time at work when a random patron found out I was expecting she said, "OH!! I was wondering why you were getting a little fat in the face".   Not cool, lady. Not cool. 
    :open_mouth: oh no no no! That's so far beyond not cool! Oh man id be mad... And then I'd cry...
    Yep! Pretty much the order of emotions, ;) then came makeup contouring research 
  • Options
    Look at you! Are you coming back after Christmas break?
    Nope.....maternity leave won't start until the end of March. Thanks though!

You're finally showing!
    Yup, 14 weeks=FINALLY showing
  • Options
    This thread reminded me of this video:

https://www.fitpregnancy.com/parenting/real-mom-stories/here-s-the-only-acceptable-thing-to-say-to-a-pregnant-woman

I don't understand why this is so hard for people.

Me 28 DH 28 Married 2012

TTC #1 since March 2015

Metformin + Femara + Gonal F + Trigger = BFP 6/24/16 

EDD 3/3/17

Found out it's a girl! 9/23/16

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    "You don't look X months pregnant." 

Not sure if compliment or insult?
    THIS! 
  • Options
    I have heard of servers refusing to bring a full caff coffee to visibly pregnant women in restaurants when they order it  :#
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Do you have friends who don't know how to say "congratulations"? It's very weird. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    oh also... well i guess you won't return to work then. um why? my career needs to be over cause i'm having two babies? yeah no.

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• Options
    nicklesb said:
    Do you have friends who don't know how to say "congratulations"? It's very weird. 
    Yes! My SIL hasn't said congrats or even acknowledged it yet! Zero response over the past 5 weeks, it's so weird.
  • Options
    "Two babies, so you get two maternity leaves too, right?"

No  :|  I've heard this at least 4 times now.
  • Options
    I have heard of servers refusing to bring a full caff coffee to visibly pregnant women in restaurants when they order it  :#
    I would write the most scorching review.... 
  • Options
    "Two babies, so you get two maternity leaves too, right?"

No  :|  I've heard this at least 4 times now.
    Like, what? That doesn't even make sense. 
  • Options
    @kiyamurph people just don't know how to handle twin/multiple pregnancies. I don't get it. 

I don't need to be reminded how abysmal maternity leave is in the US. haha
  • Options
    kjd291 said:
    in general... "oh, you're pregnant!? Let me tell you the worst birth story I've ever heard of a friend of a friend of a cousin of a....". NO! JUST NO!!

why do people think this is okay!?
    Or: "Oh you have bad morning sickness? Let me tell you alllllll about how sick I was for my entire pregnancy, details about how I puked on myself in the car, and more excruciating details about how many times I puked at work or in public."

My husband's aunt did this in a restaurant a few weeks ago when my m/s was really bad, while we were eating. I barley ate, then went home and immediately puked up my three bites. 

• Options

"You're not fat yet." from a friend when I sent her my 14 week bump picture.... gee thanks,... I guess...

"Is everything going to be okay? What about your tiny uterus?" from my MIL none the less about my high risk pregnancy.

Me: 33 Hubs: 34

TTC since 5/2014

BFP: 7/27/14 MC: 9/20/14

BFP: 6/29/15 MC: 7/6/15

BFP: 7/17/16 EDD: 3/22/17

• Options
    My last pregnancy (last year) a customer on the phone who I'd formerly been friendly with asked if I'd gained a lot of weight. I told him that I hadn't because I just can't eat as much as I used to. He responded with, "My sister didn't eat much when she was pregnant either and her baby was born with Down's Syndrome." Like WTF dude? Even if that is how Down's Syndrome happens, why would you say it to a pregnant woman?

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My last pregnancy (last year) a customer on the phone who I'd formerly been friendly with asked if I'd gained a lot of weight. I told him that I hadn't because I just can't eat as much as I used to. He responded with, "My sister didn't eat much when she was pregnant either and her baby was born with Down's Syndrome." Like WTF dude? Even if that is how Down's Syndrome happens, why would you say it to a pregnant woman?
    Oh my gosh. I'd flip out.  My youngest sister has Downs Syndrome and the ignorance surrounding disabilities in general is infuriating. 
  • Options
    OMG! So much WTF.
  • Options
    @Cbeanz That's really odd. A non-response is like a statement itself. My DH's parents also haven't responded to the email sent 3 weeks ago. 
    Pregnancy Ticker