Re: 9/26-10/2 Appointments, ultrasounds, blood work etc

• Wednesday is the next OB appointment. 
    ** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
    Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
    DS: December 19, 2011
    MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Glucose test on Friday. Does anyone know if most doctors do any other tests on the blood when they do the draw for that? I'm planning on asking them to check my iron levels when they do that draw but I'm kind of curious if it's something that most doctors check then anyway...
  • Loading the player...
  • Friday I have a followup to my 20 week scan. The doctor wanted to monitor the spinal fluid levels because they're on the high side of normal. But he thinks they're due to my baby's giant (98th percentile) head! At least I'll get another ultrasound and hopefully everything will be ok. 
  • Full growth scan Wednesday and GD class at the hospital Thursday. H is leaving for NYC Tuesday morning so between my gnarly work schedule and the dogs and these appointments it'll be a busy week! 

@canavara most likely no, they'll only do the glucose and you'll want to ask them to draw another vial for whatever other levels you'd like checked 
  • Growth scan at the perinatologist Wednesday, regular OB appointment on Thursday. 

@canavara With DS, my OB ordered an iron draw at my glucose test.  This time they ordered it earlier (maybe because I was anemic last time?) and have already made me take it twice to see if the iron supplements are working.  It can't hurt to mention it to your OB if it's something that you're worried about or have a history of.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Friday I have 24 week check with my OB and also an ultrasound to finish the anatomy scan. They could not finish it when I was there last at 20 weeks because she was wiggling around too much. I have lots of questions for the doctor this week!
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• I have my 25 wk appointment with my midwife where she'll give me a form so I qualify for maternity leave woo hoo. I kind of dislike her (she's always rushed and seems to forget things), but I'm stuck with her for a few weeks until I switch to a delivery midwife. You get what you get with the national health service! 

Not sure what will happen in the appt but I expect they'll check the baby's heartbeat and my vitals. 

Ill also get my flu shot at the appt woo. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @canavara I had an early glucose test and the lab tech mentioned that there weren't any orders for iron (I didn't ask so this was odd) but seemed like something that is normal with the normal screening time. Definitely ask for it if you are interested. If you don't see your doctor before the blood draw, you may want to call. My office's lab has to have doctors orders for the test ahead of time so it may save you some time.

I have an appointment with my OB tomorrow followed by one with my internist to check in on the GD and my blood sugar numbers. Anxious to learn more about what my OB appointments have in store now but really wish this appointment was with my normal doctor. I am seeing someone else tomorrow because mine is out of town this week.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Cervix check tomorrow since the last check was on the low end of normal. Hoping nothing has changed! I'll also get my flu shot.

@canavar My doc mentioned that I'll get my iron levels checked when they do the glucose test next visit. I'd still for sure ask about it but I would think it would be routine. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Had a regular OB appt yesterday. They gave me the orange drink for my next appt in 4 weeks. Otherwise business as usual. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Had a regular appointment today :) HR good, baby's heart good, I'm gaining a bit too fast, but no worries just yet. Next appt will be the glucose test and other tests I believe...I also need to call my hematologist but idr why. 
  • shlecka said:
    Had a regular OB appt yesterday. They gave me the orange drink for my next appt in 4 weeks. Otherwise business as usual. 
    Oh weird--do they give it to you in advance so you can just drink it before coming in to save time in the waiting room? That's certainly convenient if so. I'm thankful they have fast wifi at my OB's office but still not looking forward to sitting around for an hour :)
  • Just a regular appointment tomorrow. I'm sure coming up will be flu shot, Tdap, and glucose test. However, I'm going to ask tomorrow if I can refuse the glucose test. I did it several times last pregnancy and kept throwing it up. I'm dreading it!
  • @canavara my MW practice tests iron levels at the 28 week appointment along with the glucose test. I didnt ask but I think they do a CBC, probably since they're taking blood already anyway. They also told me to have the drink about a half hour before my appointment so I can get there, have my checkup and then have the blood draw at the end. 

@kaytastic25 I was really worried about the glucose drink - I don't normally drink soda or even juice, and aside from the sugar overload the idea of the artificial flavors and dye kind of grosses me out. At my last appointment I was actually offered the option of drinking orange or apple juice instead so might be worth asking about that. I was given specific instructions about what kind of juice and how much to drink but definitely prefer that over the glucola. 
  • Follow up ultrasound on Thursday as baby was not cooperative so they couldn't get the left heart ventricles. And then I'm sure discussing glucose testing. Honestly everyone makes it sound awful haha.
  • LoneStar21416LoneStar21416 member
    edited September 2016
    @canavara My clinic routinely does a CBC at the beginning of the third trimester. Also, our state law requires that all women be tested for HIV and syphillis (again) in the third trimester. Some women choose to do the GD screening at 28 weeks so they can get everything done at 28 weeks and not have to show up to the lab twice. It's personally more convienent for me to do the GD first based on my schedule since I have to wait around for an hour so I'll be doing the tests separately. I can just show up at the lab early in the morning any time after 28 weeks to do my second draw for everything else at my convenience.

ETA I'm going on Friday for my gluclose when I'll be halfway through week 26!
  • @kaytastic25 I know some people around here that when they asked about it, were allowed to drink or eat a certain amount of carbs and certain items instead of drinking the drink. May be worth asking.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @canavara Yeah girl! They're like, "drink it 30 minutes prior to your appt and let them know at the desk when you get there so they draw your blood right at 1 hour." 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Had my appt. It was fine. Checked my blood pressure, my bump and baby's heartbeat then pretty much sent me on my way. I found out I was wrong and I have my midwife the whole pregnancy. Uch. She's fine I guess, just not who I'd pick if I had the choice.

Theu don't do the glucose check here unless you're deemed high risk. Hopefully I'm fine!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Great growth scan today, babies are bigger than they were 4 weeks ago (19 and 28th percentile then, 39 and 43 now) I have 4 pounds of baby in there already!  :o

Fluids are equal, cord dopplers look great, one has her head right on my cervix and the other up in my ribs. 

Slightly worried that I've gained nothing in 2 weeks but since I was sick I'm trying to go easy on myself. Because they're going to be preemies it's super important that I gain enough to bulk them up  :/
  • @TinaBelcher That's awesome that the babies have grown and fluid is equal. Good luck on the eating and gaining.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @sherrera92 it's really not too bad....I've done it twice and I recommend the lemon-lime flavor.  Also, it's best if it's cold (whatever flavor!).  At my lab they keep it refrigerated.

• @canavara I had a full bloodwork check. They included the iron with it. 
    ** Highschool Sweethearts ** 
    Married: February 14, 2009

MC: June 6 2010 @ 18 weeks
    DS: December 19, 2011
    MC: October 2, 2015 @ 14 weeks

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did the 1 hour glucose screener on Monday and failed by 0.3, so they made me go back for a second test this morning (the test took soooo long and made me feel soooo sick....I don't even drink pop so my body is definitely not used to that amount of sugar!!!) Has anyone failed the first screener test, but not ended up having gestational diabetes? Feeling a little worried. 
  • @kayldawn I don't have experience with this, but if you lurk over in the December or November threads, a few women have mentioned failing the screening and passing the actual test. One of those boards has a "failed gluclose" thread, or something to that effect. 
  • @kayldawn it's actually very common to fail the 1 hour test and pass the 3 hour test. I'm not a good example because I have GD so I failed both but in my research I've found this to be common. The 1 hour is more of a screening test to see if you may have it but since it's not a fasting test it's not as accurate. For your test today did you have to fast prior to it and have blood drawn 4 times? Just want to see if it's the same test I'm familiar with. Typically, with the 3 hour test, they will draw blood when you get there, and then after each hour. If you don't meet the criteria for 2 of the tests then they will typically diagnose you with GD. I knew when I left my doctors because they told me what my numbers were and should have been after each draw.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Monthly OB visit today. Ironically started spotting 2.5 hrs before my appt. But DR did a check and all is good! Was also given my glucose drink to drink 1hr prior to my next monthly appt. Seems next few weeks are busy! Flu shot, Tdap shot, glucose test,  rhogam shot. And then after next visit I will be moved to every 2wks. Things are starting to feel real! 
  • I had my glucose test yesterday and I think they messed it up. They didn't draw my blood when I got there but had me drink the orange drink and took my blood 1 hour later. However they told me I had to fast for it. It's been almost 6 years since I did this with my last child so I can't remember what I did. I hope I don't have to do it again:(
  • Becid24 said:
    I had my glucose test yesterday and I think they messed it up. They didn't draw my blood when I got there but had me drink the orange drink and took my blood 1 hour later. However they told me I had to fast for it. It's been almost 6 years since I did this with my last child so I can't remember what I did. I hope I don't have to do it again:(
    Nope, that sounds right!  You drink and then have blood drawn after 1hr.
  • Doing my glucose test tomorrow morning and I'm kind of nervous about it after reading stories haha. Doctor said not to worry about fasting but to have a light breakfast, so I already planned a light low-carb high-protein breakfast (eggs and icelandic skyr). I sometimes get panic attacks in doctors' offices though so I'm just so not looking forward to sitting around for an hour waiting to have my blood drawn and risking having a panic attack.
  • Well, officially failed the test. Not because of blood sugar levels. Because someone thought it'd be smart to give the tdap booster to me in the middle of the test and then immediately have me get up and walk to a waiting room a minute after. 

So i was already having panic attack reactions to the shot.., and almost passed out while walking and then seriously threw up everything :|

Have to do it all over again next week. Ughhhh.
  • Oh @canavara I'm so sorry!!! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• @canavara I'm so sorry you have to do it again.

Pregnancy Ticker

•  :s@canavara that blows I'm so sorry!
  • It was pretty awful. If anyone else here who hasn't taken it yet has it suggested to them to combine the booster and the screening, I'd so recommend not doing that or at least having them wait until after the 1-hour window is up. I don't think I even had a normal panic attack--it was just like a vasovagal reaction to the shot because I was totally fine until she had me immediately stand up from laying down. 

I had to get re-admitted to the office while trying to leave because I almost passed out and my blood pressure by then was down to 86/56. Had to lay on a stretcher and drink cranberry juice and eat graham crackers until it went back up to something closer to my normal 115/70. Kind of scary! I think I would have been fine if they hadn't done that shot.
  • @canavara Ugh that sucks! I think I'm doing TDAP the same day as my glucose so I will definitely wait until after that's all done. Now I'm dreading it
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I'm so sorry @canavara! That's sucks so bad that you have to do it again.

Is my doctors office the only one that let's you drink the glucola at home and then show up at your appt an hour later to immediately draw blood? Seems so much easier than waiting around for an hour.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @canavara I'm sorry, that sounds pretty awful! I hope you're feeling better today. 

@LastMango mine lets you drink it at home, though I was told to have it about a half an hour before my appointment time and that they will aim to draw blood at the end of the appointment. 
  • I had my appointment and my midwife said I do not have to do the glucose test. Yay! 1. It's a new thing like only last 15 years 2. They test proteins in urine starting next month 3. I'm healthy (eat very healthy, healthy weight) have no current reasons for her to think I would have gestational diabetes. I'm so relieved because I continued to throw it up with DS.