March 2017 Moms

Rockers/Swings?

After making it to page 5 and not seeing this, I figured I'd go ahead and post. Anyone have any recommendations for a rocker/swing? Did you prefer a rocker or a swing? Or both? Which one did you get? Hubs and I spent 15 minutes wandering around them in BRU today and just gave up, lol!

Re: Rockers/Swings?

• I loved our fisher price rock n play. My son napped in it pretty exclusely from like 2 to 4 months. We never even put batteries in it, lol. It folds up and can be carried super easily from room to room. Its how I showered! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We loved the Rock and play too. DD slept in it at night as her bassinet. Then if she started fussing, I would stick my hand out and rock her till she stopped. We also had a Mamaroo for her that she took her daytime naps in. She liked both, but she wasn't picky really. Some kids are, so you never know. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Another one for the Rock N Play. My son slept in his for 6 months until we transitioned him to the crib. He didn't care for the vibrating function so I didn't turn it on, but of course some babies love it. 
  • Fourth for the rock n play! Serious life saver. 
  • We seriously loved both. DD slept in the rock and okay at night by our bed- and I loved the portability. The swing was in our living room and we used for just about every nap for months. 
  • No help on the rocker, but we had a bouncy chair that was great for cooking or anything that needed hands.  

Ours hated the swing. I felt like we wasted so much money on it! I've heard so many people love the rock and play so it seems like a good investment, but I'd hold off on the swing until you meet your babe and see if they love movement/what you have isn't cutting it. 
  • The only time I ever even got to put my son down the first four months was when he was in his swing swaddled up. We had a rocker too but he just fussed in it. I know some babies will only like to swing one way and not the other and some hate the swing. Every little person definitely is different!
    Me: 32 DH: 34
    Baby #1 - January 2010
    Baby #2 - March 2017

• For those of y'all who used your rock n plays as bassinets for nighttime sleeping the first few months, is there a specific brand/model you would recommend? 
  • I liked the rock n play for my 2 kids. Neither liked the swing. With all these devices, babies grow out of them fast and sometimes don't like the one you picked. I prefer to borrow (if possible) and buy if we really find it works!
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 I don't think the brand matters that much. I know some people like the Fischer Price one that rocks for you, but I did just fine with one that didn't. I think mine is Infantino but I'm not sure. I just picked a gender neutral look that I liked lol
  • Seriously, I can't say it enough, the Rock n Play is AMAZING, it's how I slept and functioned the first few months!! Also, the Fisher Price Little Lamb Swing...both were essential to my survival LOL
    **~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes yes yes to rock n' play. Lifesaver for us. Served as a bassinet for a couple months.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • edited September 2016
    Another vote for rock and play. This is now my go-to gift for my friends that are first time moms. Amazing, and it's what she slept in next to me for the first couple of months. 

ETA - We also have a swing but she didn't like that as much. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another vote for the Rock n play! Lifesaver!
    The swing was a hit or miss for us too. I'd suggest getting one from a consignment shop or borrowing from a friend. We found one for $25 so it wasn't a big loss that DS wasn't enthralled as a newborn. When he was older at about 5 months, we could put him in the swing out on the patio while we ate dinner outside and he was happy as a clam for a little while.
  • You ladies are amazing! Rock n play has now been added to our registry!
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited September 2016
    For those of y'all who used your rock n plays as bassinets for nighttime sleeping the first few months, is there a specific brand/model you would recommend? 

Fisher price worked great for cheap.
    Eta - I liked it because I liked the buckle particularly. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I never used a rock and play but I'm sold! I'm seeing different ones for newborns? And ones that move on their own? Can I get more info please about ages and sizes?
  • Cbeanz said:
    I never used a rock and play but I'm sold! I'm seeing different ones for newborns? And ones that move on their own? Can I get more info please about ages and sizes?
    I did not think it was worth it to buy a self rocking one. I never even put batteries in mine. :/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • thanks @longliveregina Do they need to be a certain age to use the non newborn one? How long will they fit in the newborn rnp?
  • Cbeanz said:
    thanks @longliveregina Do they need to be a certain age to use the non newborn one? How long will they fit in the newborn rnp?
    Honestly? No idea how long. Usually newborn stuff goes up to 15 pounds? My son started to outgrow it at maybe 4 months? He wore a brace in his feet though so I can't remember if that's why we stopped using it at that time or if he was too tall. They are really steady. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm so glad I read this! I was debating between a rock and play or a swing, but you gals have definitely settled that. 
  • I bought a swing when DS was born but after reading all of these rave reviews a rock n play is in our future
  • Cbeanz said:
    I never used a rock and play but I'm sold! I'm seeing different ones for newborns? And ones that move on their own? Can I get more info please about ages and sizes?
    i got the standard fisher price one as a gift (https://www.target.com/p/fisher-n-play-sleeper/-/A-15263603) . IMO they all should all say for newborns because once they start sitting up on their own they won't want to be in it. Up to 25 lbs is a big range though, my two year old is 27lbs. Agree with pp, you don't need one that rocks on its own or all the fancy crap. We never even turned on the vibrating part, although a friend of mine borrowed ours and said her son really like the vibrations. 
  • I agree with @CanadianintheSouth I think they're technically all newborn. We used ours for about 4 months (DS was about 27 inches at that point) because he was rolling over and that made me super nervous. We had one that vibrated and used it, but I would always forget to turn it off, and I'm not sure we'll use that function this time.
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • I was reading the description on the Rock N' Play last night and all of them say "Newborn Rock N' Play". I think it says it's for babies that can't sit up on their own. Hope that helps!
    Me: 24 DH: 27
    High School Sweethearts: 10/13/06
    Married: 10/13/13
    Baby #1 EDD: 3/20/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Has anyone ever purchased the Momaroo? I'm a FTM, but t looked pretty cool. 
  • sonrisa21 said:
    Has anyone ever purchased the Momaroo? I'm a FTM, but t looked pretty cool. 
    I borrowed one from my gf to try it out and my daughter hated it! She hated the swing too, so maybe not the normal baby.
  • C25C25 member
    I have had the giant swing, the Rock and play, and the mamaroo. My first LOVED the giant swing, I love how it works but I did not love how giant they are and how it's not easily moved from room to room. My ex took it in our divorce so I never used it again. The rock and play is very good at cuddling baby but my baby didn't love it after 3 weeks old, and I didn't like rocking it by hand after having the automatic rocker with the first child but if so many children love it mine was probably am anomally. As for the Mamaroo, I love it and would recommend it, but buy the infant insert. I thought I could do without it but my baby was so tiny in it and seemed a little uncomfortable. He also didn't love it until he was a little older. I think he just liked being held instead of laying in anything :) I'm going to try the mamaroo again with high hopes but skip the rock n play and look for a new swing/rocker. My moms old wind up rocker from the 80's has always been both of my kids' favorite. I might buy one on eBay!!! 
  • @sonrisa we loved our Mamaroo. I will say it has its drawbacks. I don't think it moves fast enough. The only way my daughter liked it was when the speed was all the way up. I don't really know if she would have liked a regular swing better. If your LO likes rocking back and forth (like a typical swing), then the Mamaroo is not for you. It is the one direction it doesn't go in
  • sonrisa21 said:
    Has anyone ever purchased the Momaroo? I'm a FTM, but t looked pretty cool. 
    I've heard mixed reviews on the Mamaroo. I personally didn't get it because the price tag was just way too high for the amount of use it would get and the biggest complaint I heard was the slow speed. If you do go with a Mamaroo, maybe either get it from somewhere with a great return policy in case baby doesn't like it, or maybe try finding one secondhand.