March 2017 Moms

Sudafed

I have a horrific cold. I've been trying to get by with lozenges, orange juice, etc. but I'm struggling to get through the work day. When I was pregnant with DD I was told that I could take Sudafed (just the plain kind, the little red tablets). This time around, I was given the safe list and it's not on there; in fact, there are no cold medicines on there at all except allergy meds like Alavert, Chlor-trimeton, Benadryl, etc., and stuff for coughing like Mucinex or plain Robitussin.

Anyway, I work at a mental health agency where there is a pharmacy down the hallway from my office and I can buy snacks, OTC meds, etc. I asked them for plain Sudafed and specified that it has to be this kind because I'm pregnant. The lady looked at me like I am crazy and went and whispered to the other pharmacist, who came out and said she didn't want to sell me that because it's an ephedrine and not safe while pregnant. Well, everything else I read says it's fine in 2nd trimester. They recommended I take Benadryl. Um, no, my head will be hitting my desk in T-minus 15 minutes and then eventually I'll have to drive home. Just....no. Does anybody know anything about this?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Sudafed

• I use this website for meds:

https://www.motherisk.org/prof/updatesDetail.jsp?content_id=881

I have to say that I've never taken anything more than Tylenol in pregnsncy 
  • Thank you @NurseMama I've been looking for a website like that. I know that none of you are my doctor and all that so please don't flame me for posting this, but my doctor was very unclear about it so now I have to go by my own research.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • When I asked my OB about it she said if I absolutely HAD to have something to help I could take Sudafed but not to take it for more than a week. She made it very clear that I should try not to take anything other than Tylenol but if I really really needed it I could take Sudafed.

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• Personally, I wouldn't take anything. Being sick while pregnant sucks. Can you leave early for the weekend? 
  • edited September 2016
    I've read that sudafed is ok from some sources, but all that aside, can the pharmacist really refuse to sell you drugs that are OTC? ETA - With her reasoning being that you are pregnant, I'm assuming she didn't think you were trying to make meth.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @CanadianintheSouth A different pharmacist gave me all kinds of hell for giving DD cough medicine at age 3. Her pediatrician prescribed it, what the hell is the problem? I'm like, uh, he's right next door, do you want to give him a call?

I'm actually feeling a little better and have made it through the work day so as long as I can go home and rest I think I'll be fine. I'm not all about taking meds while pregnant either, but this was a rough day. Thanks ladies!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB gave me a leaflet with information on what medications were safe to take during pregnancy...I happened to look at it last night because my shoulder was killing me and I wanted to see how much Tylenol I could take.  I believe I recall seeing Sudafed on there but honestly, I don't remember exactly what it said.  I can check again when I get home for you if you want, just for future reference.  Hope you feel better!
    Me (37) Hubby (39) Married since 4.2009
    EP:  2.17.2016
    DS:  3.4.2017

Pregnancy TickerDD: due 7.16.2019

• Pharmacists can refuse sale of pseudoephedrine containing products even though they're technically OTC; they're located behind the counter and considered restricted sale. Many like myself will err on the side of caution and not want to be responsible for giving you something that isn't considered on your safe list if they asked. If you do decide you still need it, I would just try going to another pharmacy. 

From the other side of the counter, when I encounter this situation, I always ask if it was on there OB's list of approved meds for passing judgment on whether it is OK or not to sell to you. When I do sell it, I always recommend only the six hour (short acting) form and taking it as sparingly as possible. Depending on symptoms, I usually try to recommend antihistamines or nasal saline first if possible. 
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's on my safe med list from my OB. I'm glad you're doing better, though, @phil413
  • My doc says yes to the sudafed behind the counter and that's it's fine. I've been using it here and there bc I have horrible sinus trouble with my allergies. My OB also just okayed Flonase bc I am in the second trimester so I haven't needed any sudafed. I don't know what I would do without them or I'd have sinus infection after sinus infection.

Pregnancy Ticker