March 2017 Moms
Options

Things NOT to say to pregnant women

I've seen a lot of comments about this and figured we could have a little fun with it. I'll start with:

-"Back pain/frequent urinating/etc? That's nothing! Wait until _"

DH: 29
Me: 27
Married 9/20/14 
BFP: 7/3/16
EDD: 3/13/17

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Things NOT to say to pregnant women

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kjd291 I've already gotten that one
  • Options
    OctoberLove13OctoberLove13 member
    edited August 2016
    I have a co-worker that's trying to scare me with her pregnancy ideas. I'm 24 but I'm not naive. The other day she tried to tell me that my stomach will have a huge skin flap post baby that will never go away and that i'll have to lift it up for normal "activites". Yeah...okay lady. I don't need your opinions or ideas!! 

Edit: because my sentence didn't make any sense the first time. 
    Me: 24 DH: 27
    High School Sweethearts: 10/13/06
    Married: 10/13/13
    Baby #1 EDD: 3/20/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Basically everybody that has learned that we are having twins (my MIL included) has immediately said "welp, that means bed rest for you". Ugh....last time I checked I had a doctor to make that determination and I don't need your "expert" opinion on the matter........
    Me 29 I DH 28
    Married in April 2007
    One Furbaby - Adorable Pitt Mix
    15 Months TTC....2nd Cycle of Letrozole - Success!
    Expecting our first two little miracles - Boy/Girl Twins! - EDD March 3, 2017
    High Risk Pregnancy - Type 1 Diabetic; Hypothyroidism; Di/Di Twin Pregnancy

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

• Options
    mrsyimstermrsyimster member
    edited September 2016
    1. "oh you have morning sickness?! you should try to eat this this this this this this this this" (yes I don't want to think about all those things right now bc I want to throw up IN YO FACE)
    2. "Twins... are they natural?!" - (they are REAL HUMANS!)
    3. "why are you so big already?!" (my FIL said this to me, he honestly thought it was weird. yes 5'2" and carrying twins.. weird)
    4. "its going to be hard, and your going to be so broke!" (Yah I know, but thanks for telling me that right now when I didn't ask for ur opinion or advice on it.)

SaveSave
  • Options
    mrsyimstermrsyimster member
    edited August 2016
    edit: I found the edit button finally on desktop =P

SaveSave
  • Options
    "I didn't know you were pregnant!" to an 8 month pregnant woman you've seen every day of her pregnancy.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    "You think you're tired now, wait until they both get here!"

Omg this is the WORST. I want to smack anyone who says this to me, getting up with an infant is way better than trying to sleep 8-9 months pregnant with horrible hip pain and even worse insomnia. 
  • Options
    "You think you're tired now, wait until they both get here!"
    "You have to have ginger for nausea, that's the only thing that worked for my daughter and she was fine." (Yeah, that crap doesn't work on me)
    Lots of other stuff that I can't think of but yeah

Im stuck in the box!!! But YES to the stupid ginger!!!! Its like suddenly my whole family have suddenly become independent ginger consultants! My mom will call me like "Oh I'm at the store and they have this ginger candy here... Do you want me to pick some up for you?!"  NO!!!!!!!

• Options
    I have a co-worker that's trying to scare me with her pregnancy ideas. I'm 24 but I'm not naive. The other day she tried to tell me that my stomach will have a huge skin flap post baby that will never go away and that i'll have to lift it up for normal "activites". Yeah...okay lady. I don't need your opinions or ideas!! 

Edit: because my sentence didn't make any sense the first time. 
    Lies. Unless you have an extreme situation, I call BS on that. 
  • Options
    Ugh, my first pregnancy, my bosses mom decided to tell me about a really bad experience she had late in one of her pregnancies. It terrified me. I'm not going to repeat it because then I would be doing the same thing to you all, but it was something that you should never say to a pregnant woman.  
  • Options
    "Are you going to get an epidural?"
    It's totally okay for my sister to ask me this. 
    It is not okay for the tech guy at my work to ask me this. 

Also, "Are you pregnant?" Seems innocent enough, right? A coworker asked me this when I was 8 months pregnant and the size of a minivan. I really wanted to say, "Why, does this dress make me look fat?"
    Ugh, I hated when that stuffed happened with my first. I really wanted to just look them straight in the eyes and tell them no and go about my business.
  • Options
    My MIL was trying to scare me off daycare and was telling me all the horror stories she could think of about daycare, preschool and kindy (teachers push/neglect/are mean to kids, etc). But the kicker was "NICU nurses are so jaded that they'll turn off oxygen on your baby just for something to do. I've seen it!" 

Ummm, no you haven't seen it because it doesn't happen, why are you assuming our baby will be in the nicu and who says ANY of that to a pregnant woman!?! This is part of the reason why we're not speaking. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My MIL was trying to scare me off daycare and was telling me all the horror stories she could think of about daycare, preschool and kindy (teachers push/neglect/are mean to kids, etc). But the kicker was "NICU nurses are so jaded that they'll turn off oxygen on your baby just for something to do. I've seen it!" 

Ummm, no you haven't seen it because it doesn't happen, why are you assuming our baby will be in the nicu and who says ANY of that to a pregnant woman!?! This is part of the reason why we're not speaking. 
    What the hell?! Who comes up with shit like that? Honestly, of all of the things to lie about, how and why would you make something up like that? That's just awful.
  • Options
    MccolpittsMccolpitts member
    edited August 2016
    @kiyamurph Shes something else for sure. In all reality I know that she just really wants attention and keeps talking until somebody reacts and/or she gets her way but that was just too much. I called DH in tears and things haven't been the same since. I'm super broken up about it, clearly.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so tired of 'are you excited' and 'how's the baby' from my coworkers. And a extra special wtf to the male coworker who told me 'I told you so' when he found out I was pregnant because he decided I took his crappy advice to have kids right away because 'I'm getting too old' (I didn't and I'm not even 35). 
  • Options
    @aerie_star Re: the male coworker - Gross! I'm going to be absolutely mortified if any male other than my husband comments on my fertility/family planning. Sorry you have to deal with that in your workplace.
  • Options
    Recently someone asked me how I'm feeling. When I answered that I'm feeling pretty good she said "You know it's okay if you're not! It means a healthy baby!" 

Just, no.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Boy: coming March 2017

• Options
    "You know how that happens, right?"
    My husband had a very Catholic co-worker whose wife naturally has a baby every 18 months or so. After kid #3 was announced his supervisor joked "You know how that happens, right?"

He made the joke for every subsequent pregnancy. DH's co-worker has eight kids. 
    Best response to that I've ever heard:  
    To a mother of 9: "You know what causes that right?" 
    "Well, 9 times yes, but thousands of times nothing." ;) 
    I've also heard that if you look them in the face and say quizzically "I have no idea what causes it. Could you please explain it to me!?!?" That is also quite effective lol