December 2015 Moms
Options

Baby keeps waking up and can't fall asleep on own

I'm so sleep deprived and need help. DD is almost 8 months old. 
We have been struggling big time with bed time. She usually has to be rocked/nursed to sleep. She doesn't go in her crib and fall asleep on her own. We have been being pretty consistent with the routine we do and the timing of it. Bath-Jammie's-nurse-read books and rock to sleep. Sometimes she will wake after only an hour or two. And she's not hungry, I try and bf her, she is not interested and just is awake. But then I put her in her crib and she sits there. And then eventually cries. 
Not sure what to do. She does have her two bottom teeth popping through. And she just learned to crawl. 
I just need advice and sleep!!!!

Re: Baby keeps waking up and can't fall asleep on own

• Options
    Have you tried giving her time to see if she will settle herself? Sometimes mine will cry/fuss for 10-15 minutes before putting himself to sleep. As long has he is clean, fed, burped and has Motrin in him if it's teething, then I leave him be. Obviously if he sounds panicked then I go inimmediately, 99% of the time he just doesn't want to go to sleep
  • Options
    I really feel for you as I've been through/going through this with LO.  I found that he normally goes through this stage from 2 weeks before his next teeth come out and once they're through he's so much better - (now onto tooth number 8!!) I don't have that much advise aside from - when she's awake be sure to keep the room dark and quiet so that she stays in 'night mode' and like @gingermom15 said I'd soothe her and then settle her and see how she goes on her own, with LO I come in every 8 mins to pat him until he puts himself to sleep unless he gets hysterical and then I just go with his flow (although that's me in despair! not that I'd advise it!!)
    Good luck!!! The sleep deprivation is the worst!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I dont think I would know what to do either. We bedshare and she wakes to eat at 5 still. It has made it easier on me to sleep and to continue bf. I am not sure you would wanna try?
  • Options
    My daughter has never once been able to put herself to sleep or back to sleep, so you're not alone! No advice here haha
    Angela

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My advice would be to find a sleep coaching method that you like and works for your family. Going to sleep alone is a learned skill and we can't expect our babies to figure it out all by themselves (though some probably do). I know most modern parents are against "sleep training" in the Ferber sense of the phrase, but there are a ton of other (no cry) options. We moderately "Ferberized" our twin girls with great success, but in my research I considered the Pick Up/Put Down method and the coaching method with the chair positions (I can't remember the name, sorry!). All the methods take a time, devotion, and patience...but so does rocking a baby back to sleep every few hours!!

Find a method you like, plan your course of action, and stick to it. Your set baby will learn a valuable skill and you'll finally get some sleep!
  • Options
    My LO still needs to be nursed to sleep for naps, bedtime and the 3-5 wake ups a night. 

He did go through a phase a couple of months back where he suddenly decided to treat his 8.00pm as a power nap, wake up an hour or two later and then not go back back to sleep till 11 or 12. This went on for a few weeks until we got the Lula Doll. it might have been a total coincidence though.